Sponsored

S550 strengths and weaknesses?

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Going to my first open road course Saturday as Wu Han becomes less of a deterent. Meaning that I cannot have a passanger coach my first run.

Aside from that, I was curious to what the second and third gens strengths and weaknesses are. I heard it is important to know so if our S550 is only capable of raw power, straight aways are the safest pass if the driver in front of me is in a car of less power.

Does my question make sense? Am I overthinking this?
Sponsored

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Biggest weakness? The driver....especially starting out.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Biggest weakness? The driver....especially starting out.
My mentality for Saturday is to stay safe above everything. Learn as much as I can and also have fun, which I know I will.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
Treat the throttle with respect. Don't ask the tires to do too much at once. You cannot simultaneously max brake and try to turn, nor max sustained cornering and accelerate. Imagine your foot and the steering wheel are connected by rope, and that as you release a pedal (brake or gas) you can start adding more steering lock.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
... I was curious to what the second and third gens strengths and weaknesses are.
Don't worry about that now . . . with the possible exceptions of differential and/or transmission fluid temperatures.

I heard it is important to know so if our S550 is only capable of raw power, straight aways are the safest pass if the driver in front of me is in a car of less power.
At your stage raw power is not important at all.

Passing rules - which will be the most restrictive for your novice run group - will be discussed in the drivers' meeting. Pay attention in class . . . but yeah, if you're allowed to pass at all it'll be permitted on the straights only, and only with a point-by from the driver you're about to pass. No point-by, no pass.

I urge you to do as good a job of forgetting how much power you have on tap as you possibly can, lest it get in the way of learning. Developing smoothness (on your part) is going to be worth far more than any excitement you get from big throttle response. There's a fair amount of totally new stuff to learn, and you're not ready for 10/10ths driving just yet.

On edit - try not to look at a road course as being a sequence of dragstrips separated by the occasional corners. You can just as easily look at a road course as being a collection of corners that have straights in between to keep them separated.

Norm

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't worry about that now . . . with the possible exceptions of differential and/or transmission fluid temperatures.

At your stage raw power is not important at all.

Passing rules - which will be the most restrictive for your novice run group - will be discussed in the drivers' meeting. Pay attention in class . . . but yeah, if you're allowed to pass at all it'll be permitted on the straights only, and only with a point-by from the driver you're about to pass. No point-by, no pass.

I urge you to do as good a job of forgetting how much power you have on tap as you possibly can, lest it get in the way of learning. Developing smoothness (on your part) is going to be worth far more than any excitement you get from big throttle response. There's a fair amount of totally new stuff to learn, and you're not ready for 10/10ths driving just yet.

On edit - try not to look at a road course as being a sequence of dragstrips separated by the occasional corners. You can just as easily look at a road course as being a collection of corners that have straights in between to keep them separated.

Norm
Thanks Norm. You always have sound advice, along with others here. I'll make my primary focus on safety and education.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Depends on which one you have, and what you may have done to it.

But yeah, driver is the biggest limiting factor.
After that tires, especially as the Mustang is big and heavy and usually doesn't have enough camber for track use.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Depends on which one you have, and what you may have done to it.

But yeah, driver is the biggest limiting factor.
After that tires, especially as the Mustang is big and heavy and usually doesn't have enough camber for track use.
I am pretty much stock. 255/275 stock wheels on Fire Hawk Indys. It's been lowered by an inch. Maybe cut coils? Flowmaster cat back with the middle resonator gone. I'm the second owner.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes you are. You have your event this weekend. Just go and have fun and let the car tell you what it needs.
Switch my rears from 255 to 275s... Firestone goofed big time. That's what my car needs lol.

Sponsored

tevaburns

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tiberius
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
My mentality for Saturday is to stay safe above everything. Learn as much as I can and also have fun, which I know I will.
Don't let traffic ruin your fun, stay calm. If your brakes fade dramatically get off the track.

Next time: fresh brake fluid and trackpads.

For the future: upgrade to a road race oil pan before you get big-sticky track tires.

Bonus round: Some time in 2016 or 2017 Ford updated the driver side valve cover. If you get a ton of oil in the intake and some smoke out the tailpipes during track sessions you might need that updated part.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Treat the throttle with respect. Don't ask the tires to do too much at once. You cannot simultaneously max brake and try to turn, nor max sustained cornering and accelerate. Imagine your foot and the steering wheel are connected by rope, and that as you release a pedal (brake or gas) you can start adding more steering lock.
Great and easy to understand analogy.

TopJimmyCooks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem PP; 2019 EcoBoost Prem
Vehicle Showcase
Going to my first open road course Saturday as Wu Han becomes less of a deterent. Meaning that I cannot have a passanger coach my first run.

Aside from that, I was curious to what the second and third gens strengths and weaknesses are. I heard it is important to know so if our S550 is only capable of raw power, straight aways are the safest pass if the driver in front of me is in a car of less power.

Does my question make sense? Am I overthinking this?
Let us know how it went! Hope you had fun...that’s what it’s all about.