S550 Replace or Rebuild?

FastNLoud

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Have a 2015 5.0 170,000 miles with cylinder 3 down no compression. Blew spark plug out and pieces fell into the cylinder head and you know the rest. Most shops I've called simply want to replace the engine with a used one for $8-$10k. With such high mileage "original owner" I definitely want to go through the engine but it doesn't make sense to pay so much and get an engine I have no clue what its been through. There has to be someone out there that can rebuild a s550 for $3-$4K right? Any help or shops would be greatly appreciated. I'm located near Hattiesburg, MS.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
There’s so much labor cost. I’m replacing mine too. Sounds like your heads are damaged ? I bought heads from eBay for 1000. I think you’ll need more than 3-4k to repair this. Good luck

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
There are very, very, very few places that are willing to rebuild engines any more. It's nearly impossible to find a place that will even do head gaskets now much less an entire engine.
A low mileage used engine is really a pretty decent option and most come with a warranty of some sort. As far as knowing the history it's really not that different from buying a used car.
As for rebuilding your engine, to do it right, I'd expect there will be $3k to $4k in parts and machine shop work alone before even considering labor for the r&r and rebuilding.
Have you considered a long block or crate engine yet? Cost would still be up there but it would be a "fresh" engine.

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
Your price quote is about right. Can't find anyone that will do the old fasion rebuild, unless you do it yourself or mechanical friend.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
i can build you a engine but you can get a new short block for 2k and you can get rebuilt heads for 1k. you can do it for under 5k

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Search out local salvage recyclers in your area. Not a "junk yard", but an actual salvage recycler facility that not only pulls the drivetrains - but confirms the mileage, that there's nothing wrong with the engine (or trans), and in some instances they even offer a warranty on the engine for X-mile or X-months.

If you go that route - you can get a very good deal on a complete engine - some even still include the engine bay wiring harnesses attached. If you get a complete engine from a reputable recycler - then any "duplicate" parts that are on it that you don't need for yours - list them in the classifieds and you can recoup/offset some of your engine repair expense

bonz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 50th Anniv GT
CJ has the correct and least expensive answer. if this isn't a daily driver maybe time to start a serious build?? start saving your pennies for an aluminator? :p

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
CJ has the correct and least expensive answer. if this isn't a daily driver maybe time to start a serious build?? start saving your pennies for an aluminator? :p
there are shops that do rebuilds. modular head shop seems to do great work. i've seen them in some mustanglifestyle videos and that dude BEATS on his cars like no other.

if it were me i'd have it rebuilt, have the heads ported while you're at it, and maybe throw some forged pistons in there if you wanna go FI in the future.

OP
OP

FastNLoud

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
It was but isn't my daily any longer so I have time. Never really thought about the performance side of things. Any suggestions if I'm going to rebuild it for performance?