S197 Hybrid - 2006 Mustang with S550 guts

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed Manual
The Recaros are perfect for us (me 6'2" 217 lbs & my wife 5'10" 165 lbs).
Interesting, I'm the exact same build as you. I'd always heard that the Recaros were a bit of pain to get in and out of for daily driving, but I've never experienced them myself. My car has is a GT Premium with the leather seats. I find them comfortable but at my size they definitely don't hold me in on track days, but my Schroth Quick-Fit harness definitely helps a lot.

PS: You can't compare 'regular' Recaros with the one offered for GT350 and GT500!
Can you elaborate on this? Are you saying that the GT350 and GT500 Recaros are better than the 'regular' Recaros?

What about the stupid expensive ones from Ford Performance?
Sponsored

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Can you elaborate on this? Are you saying that the GT350 and GT500 Recaros are better than the 'regular' Recaros?
Better depends on the purpose.
As far as I know, the Shelby Recaros are better in regard of racing, but lack the comfort you want for daily driving. They are tighter because of shape and upolstery, compared to the 'regular' Recaros for GT, Bullitt and Mach1.
But in this regard no real live experience, but you can get an idea, if you compare them by pictures.

What about the stupid expensive ones from Ford Performance?
For my understanding, they are the same as the ones for GT, Bullitt and Mach1.
To be honest, the markup for the Recaros from factory is also very high for the fact that you only get a little bit differently shaped seat without electric adjustment, seat heating and seat ventilation and a brand name stitched on it.

You could also consider a non-Ford Recaro seat, but most lack an airbag.
They not only make sports and racing seats, but also ergonomic seats that are better than most of what is fitted by the OEMs.
https://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/comfort/product-overview
https://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/dynamic/product-overview
e.g. "Sport C" or "Sportster GT".
Over here they offer at least "Sportster CS" with airbag, but that's a tight one!

Last edited:

fast306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M1HP6MT
The leather Recaros in my Mach 1 and my previous PP2 were fine for daily driving. I just wish they were powered...makes no sense that Ford doesn't offer them that way in the US.

My brother has a 2016 with cloth Recaros. I find his seats to be noticeably tighter and harder to get into and out of. Not sure why that is.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
S550 seat vs S197 seat. Rear of the S550 seat bolts right in (with the removal of the locator pins). Made custom L brackets for the front to bolt in. I now have heated and cooled seats! Next up will be upgrading the upholstery to match the door panels.

IMG_3925.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Well another interesting discovery… Gen 1/2 max fuel pressure is 4 bar (58psi) set by an internal regulator on the fuel hat. Gen 3 max fuel pressure is 6 bar (87psi) set by a similar regulator. What this means is I need to change out my fuel pump assembly for a Gen 3 unit. PCM is expecting 6 bar pressure above 4500rpm and is not getting it, causing one bank to go lean on acceleration.

Joshinator99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium, 2017 Camaro 2SS
Well another interesting discovery… Gen 1/2 max fuel pressure is 4 bar (58psi) set by an internal regulator on the fuel hat. Gen 3 max fuel pressure is 6 bar (87psi) set by a similar regulator. What this means is I need to change out my fuel pump assembly for a Gen 3 unit. PCM is expecting 6 bar pressure above 4500rpm and is not getting it, causing one bank to go lean on acceleration.
Can you just change the requested fuel pressure above 4500 RPM in HP Tuners?

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)

Joshinator99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium, 2017 Camaro 2SS
You would think but it is not that simple...
Ok, thought I’d ask. It’s easy to do in HPT on my Camaro but I’m sure this is slightly different. 🤷‍♂️

Sponsored
OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Ok, thought I’d ask. It’s easy to do in HPT on my Camaro but I’m sure this is slightly different. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah the thing I have learned with this project is that even though the table might exist, that doesn’t necessarily change the PCM logic (at least for Ford).

StealthFighter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BOB
Vehicle(s)
-2019 GT premium a10 -pp1 -Shadow Black loaded
I just stumbled across this fantastic build thread, I heartily agree with your other followers that this was one of the most ambitious and interesting reads I have had in quite some time.
Congratulations on a seemingly one of a kind ride. I will be watching for your continuing reports till you complete your conversion and looking forward to some videos showing its overall handling , street-ability , some of its high performance side too.
Great work, and best of luck forward to the completion, and past that... the upgrades and tweaks will most likely go on as long as you own this beast.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Zack, any updates?

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Zack, any updates?
Fuel pump should arrive this week. After install I should be able to get more driving videos. Mostly been working on getting it through Maryland inspection for full registration of which it has passed as of last week!