Sponsored

Rumor - Will Mach 1 follow the GT350 in 2018?

73MachI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT M6 PP ESP Magnetic
nope sorry wouldn't want it unless it sounded really exotic or like a v8. same reason why i picked the gt over the ecoboost but that's me.
Ditto
Sponsored

73MachI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT M6 PP ESP Magnetic
Sorry, but you wont have a choice eventually so you might want to start entertaining the idea now. It is an inevitable fact that engines will continue to decrease in size/cylinders and instead focus on increased output per liter.
Yes, if by "you won't have a choice so you might want to start entertaining the idea now..." you mean electric motors.

I think the V8 will be about the last internal combustion engine available in a Mustang - strictly a retro piece for those that want the real experience and can afford the costs to operate - probably circa 2030 or 2040.

Just my speculations...

Last edited:
Reactions: 113

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
When do the draconian EPA boost in mpg's come into play? This will really force the automobile industry to squeeze every little bit of efficiency out of their cars and trucks.
2025, only 10 years from now. The fleet must average 54.5 mpg, a HUGE number.

I think people really underestimate the drastic effect this will have on the industry and muscle cars. Unless you have a few 90mpg cars, I'm not sure how you counterbalance a 19mpg V8 into it and still get a 54.5mpg fleet average.

For comparison, right now it's only 27.5, going up to 35.5 in 2016 (including trucks, 39 for passenger cars). 54.5 is a huge huge number for an average; almost double what it is in 2015.

I think you will see the V8 move to the specialty cars honestly that they can limit in production numbers to keep their average. You simply cannot beat the math. For every car under 54.5 you need one that much over to balance it out. 54.5 is a big number as is to hit, let alone many models.

Ford could easily bring the Mustang up in hp to 500hp+ and still bring up the mpg average a good 10-15mpg from where it's at with the 5.0. It makes sense no matter what history shows; you can't beat the CAFE standards going up so much to a level never seen. History of V8s won't change the fuel economy requirements are doubling from today to 10 years from now and V8s may simply not fit that to be able to offer (except again maybe in the halo cars like Shelbys).

Last edited:

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
The V8 will eventually go away, it has to because of the CAFE standards and outright efficiency. It's not going anywhere in the near term though. I see the V8 getting phased from GT engine now, to Mach 1 or Shelby Engine after 2019/2020. The EB V6 will be the mid level engine in 2018 with he EB 4 cylinder the base like in the Camaro. Once the V8 goes into the specialty "stangs", the TTV6 will become the GT Engine with the EB 4 becoming the only other option, or there will be an all electric option in the middle. Tesla's S model can do 0-60 in 2.8 seconds.. The performance is amazing and the range is there. Once battery and processors become even cheaper, the Electric Mustang will happen. Possibly as early as 2020 but no later than 2023. I know the purists will wince at the thought, but it's progress and beginning with this redesign, Mustang is no longer antiquated technology. That will only increase as time goes on because it has to. We've all got yo wrap our heads around that and accept it. Otherwise there will be no 100 year celebration of this incredible and historic nameplate.

Kevin70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Scion xA, Mitsubishi 3000GT
Let's be honest....If they did retire the V8 in favor of a TT V6, would you really care that much as long as it still preformed the same or better than their competitors V8's?

There was a time when the thought of driving a 4 cylinder anything disgusted me, but I've grown past that and realized it doesn't matter as long as the performance is within what I deem to be acceptable.
Yes I would care. A naturally aspirated V8 is likely going to be more reliable than a turbo V6. Given the same performance, I would rather have the V8. I would also rather have a naturally aspirated V6 than the turbo 4 if the performance were the same and if they offered all of the options on the V6.

If they ever drop the V8, it will most likely be because of government regulations than giving the consumer what they want.

Sponsored

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
I think you'll see one more freshening of the Coyote, when it goes to Direct Injection. A few years of that, maybe only in the Mustang, and that may be all she wrote.

But what do I know? I'm the guy that bought an '89 LX 5.0, new, because I wanted to try a V8 before they were all gone.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
Yes, if by "you won't have a choice so you might want to start entertaining the idea now..." you mean electric motors.

I think the V8 will be about the last internal combustion engine available in a Mustang - strictly a retro piece for those that want the real experience and can afford the costs to operate - probably circa 2030 or 2040.

Just my speculations...
This has been my point -There is no reason to have V6s and I4 Ecoboosts when in a few years automakers will be using more powerful electric motors anyway. If I can't get a V8 in the future then why would I choose an Ecoboost over an electric motor that will perform better across the board than any ICE.

My prediction is that Ford will never drop the V8 (same with Chevy, Dodge, etc..) because they will always have the enthuisasts market that wants traditional ICE engines. These will just become premium options. Everything that isn't a premium option will just move to electric motors. So you'll have V8s and eletrics in the automakers portfolio only. This may be 10-15 years down the line though.

bee bop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 GT Vert, 2016 GT Vert
Simon that is not quite true in 1974 there was on the 2.3l 4cly and a 2.6 l v6. there was no V8 option. It did return in 1975. I personally would not like to see the V8 go away, but would like them to offer the 2.7 eco as a mid engine option.

edillen3953

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot silver Ecoboost Premium w/PP
I would love a twin turbo v6 and would choose it over a v8. Feel there is much more power potential there. It sounds like the 2.3 is being sandbagged a bit. Same for the 2.7 and 3.5. The 2.7 is only rated I think around 300 in the edge sport. Same for f150. At that rating it's nearly as fast as the 3.5.

I would venture to guess the 3.5 in same tune as in the truck would stick with or surpass the 5.0 on the strip.

I get the reasons the v8 diehards love them and believe ford will keep the v8 for as long as possible because that is the marketing speaking. Unfortunately for some of us marketing will always keep these unicorn cars from us.

It's just like the 911 vs Boxter/Cayman. Porsche will never give them the badass engines the 911 gets because they don't want to canniblize the sales/legacy of it.

Sponsored

Wblv17

older fart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.7HEMI Ram and 2015 eco boost race red pp
This has been my point -There is no reason to have V6s and I4 Ecoboosts when in a few years automakers will be using more powerful electric motors anyway. If I can't get a V8 in the future then why would I choose an Ecoboost over an electric motor that will perform better across the board than any ICE.

My prediction is that Ford will never drop the V8 (same with Chevy, Dodge, etc..) because they will always have the enthuisasts market that wants traditional ICE engines. These will just become premium options. Everything that isn't a premium option will just move to electric motors. So you'll have V8s and eletrics in the automakers portfolio only. This may be 10-15 years down the line though.
dodge has already said 2018 will be their last v8's

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
My guess is change in headlights and bottom splitter similar to gt350 with a mach intake, power pushed around 450 hp and 410 lb ft torque redline limit to 7300 rpm.:thumbsup:

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
dodge has already said 2018 will be their last v8's
Now where the heck did you read that???

Why do people say this without any links or info or damn sources to back this up?? :tsk:

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
GT350 = track car
GT500 = drag car
Mach2 = muscle car? (cruiser?)

What does the Mach represent? What was it's purpose or focus?

With a 10-spd, you do not need an 8krpm 5.2 FPC. I think the Mach2 will come with a 2.7l EB V6 and 10spd with all the GT350 underpinnings.
Mach2 = AWD TTV8, Nissan GTR Killer LOL!!

cjgt350

Adrenaline Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F250 Platinum 2016 GT350 TP
Now where the heck did you read that???

Why do people say this without any links or info or damn sources to back this up?? :tsk:
This forum won't allow web links for some reason but if you do a web search it will pop up.
Sponsored