Sponsored

Rumor - Will Mach 1 follow the GT350 in 2018?

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
You can still hope. Nothing is official.

I highly doubt Ford is going to let from October/November of '14 to Sept of '17 with no refresh of the Mustang with nothing new on it. '16 MY was just some packages and Sync 3. '17 needs something major.

Dodge has an 8 speed. Chevy has an 8 speed. Ford is behind the ball here on the Auto Transmission.
I can see them bumping power in the EB for a 17 refresh and maybe a few more appearance packages. But MY18 is the year for the minor refresh. I am hoping we get a more 350 style front end and 10 speed auto.
Sponsored

sauerkraut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
S550 EcoBeast
Ford never dropped the V8 in the Mustang, and they never will, it would be like Porsche dropping the 911, it will never happen.
No, it would be like Prosche dropping NA engines from all 911's. Oh wait, they actually just did that...

Yes, if by "you won't have a choice so you might want to start entertaining the idea now..." you mean electric motors.

I think the V8 will be about the last internal combustion engine available in a Mustang - strictly a retro piece for those that want the real experience and can afford the costs to operate - probably circa 2030 or 2040.

Just my speculations...
I just don't see Ford moving to electric only motors that quickly. Like most things, it will happen in stages. Right now we are witnessing stage one if you ask me; Turbo'd 4 that has as much hp/tq as 5+ year old V8 Mustangs. Stage two will not jump directly to electric motors, that's just not how it will happen. Instead, Stage two will likely be a TT or *gasp* single turbo'd 6 replacing the V8 in normal GTs with the V8 being reserved for the "GT-R" types. Stage 3 will likely see a 2 or 3 cylinder replacing the current turbo'd 4......this will slowly continue until Electric only.

I'll just leave this here for all the 'V8 will never go away' folks. Like I said earlier in the thread, Ford is way more invested in Ecoboost than NA V8's.

http://jalopnik.com/why-fords-tiny-1-liter-3-cylinder-is-the-future-of-ga-1543662936

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
they won't drop the v8 until they are forced or gm and dodge do it. if it ever happens it won't be soon.

sauerkraut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
S550 EcoBeast
they won't drop the v8 until they are forced or gm and dodge do it. if it ever happens it won't be soon.
So you're saying Ford should be a follower (wait until GM or Dodge do it) instead of a leader in the industry :crazy:

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Mostly subjective, I preferred the 11/12 front end over the 13/14
Agree on the subjectivity. My preference prior to 15 was the 13-14 over the older models.

Sponsored

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
Forget about the Auto, when is the 7 speed manual coming? I would love to have a highway mpg as the corvette :headbang:
Set the cruise at 55mph, no ac, and on flat ground and you can get 28ish mpg

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
So you're saying Ford should be a follower (wait until GM or Dodge do it) instead of a leader in the industry :crazy:
Sorry. but Ford could put a 500hp turbo 6 in the mustang, and a NA V8 would still out sell it in north America.

you still have people who insist on 3k oil changes, how you going to convince them a bosted car is better if they can't get past 50 year old oil data

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
I would love a twin turbo v6 and would choose it over a v8. Feel there is much more power potential there. It sounds like the 2.3 is being sandbagged a bit. Same for the 2.7 and 3.5. The 2.7 is only rated I think around 300 in the edge sport. Same for f150. At that rating it's nearly as fast as the 3.5.
yep. The eco boost from my SHO and EX Sport is string, and it wouldnt take much to get 450 hp reliably.

i would buy that over a V8 any day

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Are you sure about that? :)

[ame]

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
you saying they are gonna abandon 50+ years of v8 status? :crazy: yes they love the ecoboost but losing the v8 anytime soon is going to be shooting themselves

Sponsored

73MachI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT M6 PP ESP Magnetic
It's not about whether it's a V8 or a forced induction V6. It's the exhaust note.

At least, for me.

Simon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost
Are you sure about that? :)

Just so you know, many companies have different engines in their super/halo cars, and it doesn't mean anything. Like I said before, Porsche has a hybrid technology in their 918, but it doesn't mean that the 911 will be offered only with that engine too (and if it will it will be an option). Audi offers a V10 in their R8, so S/RS5 is going to have it too? I highly doubt it, since even RS6 went down to a V8. Examples could go on and on, and the message is still the same, one model doesn't decide on what engines will go to other models period.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Just so you know, many companies have different engines in their super/halo cars, and it doesn't mean anything. Like I said before, Porsche has a hybrid technology in their 918, but it doesn't mean that the 911 will be offered only with that engine too (and if it will it will be an option). Audi offers a V10 in their R8, so S/RS5 is going to have it too? I highly doubt it, since even RS6 went down to a V8. Examples could go on and on, and the message is still the same, one model doesn't decide on what engines will go to other models period.
CAFE standards will force automakers to further push the boundaries of technology to meet mandated mpg requirements. The deciding factor how far will be cost. I'm not saying v8 engines will be completely eliminated. Just not as cheap and plentiful as they are now. I'm saying the Camaro and Mustang's futures, in my opinion, will be forced induction smaller engines. V8 engines will be expensive and a luxury.

Simon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost
CAFE standards will force automakers to further push the boundaries of technology to meet mandated mpg requirements. The deciding factor how far will be cost. I'm not saying v8 engines will be completely eliminated. Just not as cheap and plentiful as they are now. I'm saying the Camaro and Mustang's futures, in my opinion, will be forced induction smaller engines. V8 engines will be expensive and a luxury.
Even if CAFE standards will mandate mpg requirements in a way to force automakers to push their boundaries far, it will not be that soon. Take a look at that table https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_Average_Fuel_Economy#Standards_by_model_year.2C_1978-2011 , 27.5 mpg for passanger cars has been for 20 years. So it will take at least another 15-20 years before it gets to that point that V8 engines will become luxury.

licktensteins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Four wheels and a stick
Even if CAFE standards will mandate mpg requirements in a way to force automakers to push their boundaries far, it will not be that soon. Take a look at that table https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_Average_Fuel_Economy#Standards_by_model_year.2C_1978-2011 , 27.5 mpg for passanger cars has been for 20 years. So it will take at least another 15-20 years before it gets to that point that V8 engines will become luxury.
This week, Porsche revealed the 991.2 variant of the 911 range. From this point forward, all 911's will be turbocharged, with the exception of the GT3 and GT3RS. In the next 18 months, we'll see the refreshed Boxster and Cayman models receive the same treatment. I'm having a hard time thinking of a naturally aspirated BMW car at the moment... MB is going the same way. Honda is about to roll out an entire range of DI turbo engines for its cars.

The handwriting is on the wall for those who wish to read it. One of the reasons I'm jumping on a GT350 - quite possibly the last truly innovative V8 we'll ever see in a car <$100k
Sponsored