Roush single adjustable coilovers

#1Roadking

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 2019 Ford Raptor 2018 Cadillac Escalade
Looking for some feedback on these. I have a 2019 with PP1 and a supercharger. Price seems decent at $1885 and bolt on so not bad labor wise. I live in NH, so I don’t want anything to stiff or low, but want to tighten up high speed turns like on and off ramps. These seem like a good compromise.
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
IMO, you should generally stay away from low end coilovers. Either save up for some decent mid-range units, or better yet get a simple strut/spring combo for half the price that will do just as well. The only downside to those is that you don't get the height adjustment.

I personally went with the Ford Racing shocks and paired them with the stock PP springs because I didn't want to be slammed. I did try two other aftermarket springs and they sat too low.

PS, must be nice to live in Loudon right by the speedway. Do you ever go to NHMS or just drive the backroads?

NYDP77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Mustang Stage 3
Vehicle Showcase
I've enjoyed them. I had a 2017 PP and these are definitely an improvement. Less body roll. I think on the 2016 RS3 they were measuring 1.07g on the skid pad. Also, my wife thinks the ride feels better (less jolting up and down) than the PP1.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
My Roush comes with the Stage 1 coilover set up and I love it. Car drives like it's on air and on the off/on ramps, I am moving ahead of people with ease.
Great price for a single adjustable coilover system. Good luck!

OP
OP

#1Roadking

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
Bought them from Beefcake racing, he gave me a great deal. I will review as soon as they are on:)

Sponsored

OP
OP

#1Roadking

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
Ok, I had these installed with the Steeda stop the hop pro kit. The car is way tighter and feels much more balanced and nimble. It accelerates perfectly straight under hard throttle with wheel spin and feels much more planted. My only complaint is the suspension seems to almost bounce at 50 MPH plus speeds, my guess is the floating feeling of stock PP1 is gone and I’m just feeling the bumps more. It’s not harsh just different. I will update again when I get more driving time in. As far as looks go, these are perfect, still plenty of clearance but more aggressive looking. Fronts dropped an inch and tears about 3/4. On a side note, I had to have my front bumper fixed and repainted , I have the stripes to redo the bumper but actually think it looks good with the bumper stripe less. What do you guys think?
392D20C8-92FC-4A4B-BE0D-538DDAA96F87.jpeg
C6AF391E-35AD-4171-8CA1-E9175B83F2BE.jpeg
FC4627E3-DB11-491F-90CC-47C435245918.jpeg
9ECE478F-BBCA-4F57-8BAB-D639D5EFCD52.jpeg
985637F7-113F-42B9-B7FE-C8D3F6D64715.jpeg

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
My only complaint is the suspension seems to almost bounce at 50 MPH plus speeds, my guess is the floating feeling of stock PP1 is gone and I’m just feeling the bumps more. It’s not harsh just different.
It’s odd that you have issues over 50mph; most stiff(er) setups available for the S550 are more harsh or fidgety under 40mph and then smooth out. Are your dampers adjustable? If so, for sure play around with the settings until you get what you like.

Stance looks good :beer:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Most good aftermarket setups will eliminate the boaty/floaty feel but as a consequence, you'll feel more. Well done, it's not harsh at all.

Do you have aftermarket rear shock mounts? Did you clock the suspension bushings after installing the coilovers?

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
My only complaint is the suspension seems to almost bounce at 50 MPH plus speeds, my guess is the floating feeling of stock PP1 is gone and I’m just feeling the bumps more. It’s not harsh just different. I will update again when I get more driving time in.
I've been using the adjustable Roush shocks on my car for a couple years now with all kinds of different springs. At one time I had a poor ride much like you describe at similar speeds: bouncy and kind of harsh. I found that by turning the rebound down from where I had it greatly improved the ride. At that time I had it turned up very high thinking it was helping me in autocross.

As I search for the ultimate for me autocross setup including trying different spring rates I've learned that the Roush shocks' rebound setting pretty much only affects ride quality and higher shaft speed traction (kind of the same thing). Compression settings did impact suspension response to driver inputs such as throttle and braking.

So, rebound too soft equated to a floaty ride and rebound too firm equated to a harsh, bouncy ride. Rebound set just right equated to a nice, controlled ride. The original Roush springs are progressive but around 300 lbs-in. As I went higher with rates I needed more rebound maintain a decent ride. With compression I would reduce that setting with higher spring rates to maintain how I wanted the car to react with throttle and braking inputs, not so much for ride.

If you don't have adjustable compression and rebound on your Roush shocks you may need to change springs to get a rate that matches up with the shocks and gives you a good ride, unfortunately. Since you are likely at a 300 lb-ish progressive spring you might try a 350 lb spring and see what affect that has.

Sponsored
OP
OP

#1Roadking

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
It seems to be settling down nicely now after a few days of breaking them in :) it’s also cold here, so the shocks are going to feel tighter then normal. So far I’m happy and getting happier the more I drive it. I also put a Blockit Matt in the trunk and that is awesome.

OP
OP

#1Roadking

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
I just took a very fast ride on some nice twisties and I’m am super impressed. The difference is night and day! Definitely money well spent.

OP
OP

#1Roadking

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
Update, this set up is amazing! I am super happy with the results. I think it takes a few miles to settle and loosen up a little. The car feels so tight, solid and planted. One of the biggest surprises is how much smoother my take offs and shifting are. Before it felt rubbery on take offs and shifts, now it feels very precise. My guess is the stop the hop kit pulling the flex out of the rear subframe eliminates the slack in the driveline. Total investment with labor was $3350 but the difference was well worth it. Time for bigger tires and wheels to harness the handling and power next:)

OP
OP

#1Roadking

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
  • Thanks, I have not brought my car to the track yet but I’m going to try and get in on a track day next year. There are some fun roads to drive here as well though:) I’m loving the new Roush coil over and Steeda pro stop the hop kit so far. Big improvement in handling.

IMO, you should generally stay away from low end coilovers. Either save up for some decent mid-range units, or better yet get a simple strut/spring combo for half the price that will do just as well. The only downside to those is that you don't get the height adjustment.
I personally went with the Ford Racing shocks and paired them with the stock PP springs because I didn't want to be slammed. I did try two other aftermarket springs and they sat too low.

PS, must be nice to live in Loudon right by the speedway. Do you ever go to NHMS or just drive the backroads?
Sponsored