Roush Quad exhaust

USMC_Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 stage 3 roush
I currently have 2015 roush non active quad tips and the roush resonated delete. It’s loud, it’s raspy, not to my liking. I would rather a deeper more mellow sound. Anyone tried the roush with a Borla resonator? Would love to hear it before I purchase and have it welded in ( don’t think it is a direct replacement for the roush x pipe).

My last mustang was a 2009 gt500 and I’ve been away for some time now. Does the gt350 catbacks fit the 2015-2017 GTs? Will the new 2018 setups fit? I would really like some Borla s types with the Borla resonator, just not sure how to get that set up in quad tips, doesn’t seem to be available. Not really wanting to get a new valance and convert to single tips.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored

OP
OP

USMC_Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 stage 3 roush
In case anyone is currently running an aggressive set up with a resonator delete and it is just too loud and raspy.....I think I found the answer....and it seems to be the only pipe out there that will replace a resonator delete and not require welding and such.
  • XPG1
  • xpg1_1.2849.jpg
  • Magnaflow X-Pipe Tru-X Resonated Stainless Steel Clamp-In GT
I'll chime back in a a week or so to report the results.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
In case anyone is currently running an aggressive set up with a resonator delete and it is just too loud and raspy.....I think I found the answer....and it seems to be the only pipe out there that will replace a resonator delete and not require welding and such.
  • XPG1
  • xpg1_1.2849.jpg
  • Magnaflow X-Pipe Tru-X Resonated Stainless Steel Clamp-In GT
I'll chime back in a a week or so to report the results.
Unfortunately not available in a 3" setup it appears so anyone who went any larger than stock and wanted to calm it down this would not be an option but potential for stock diameter setups!

ddaarr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Roush RS2
I have the Roush quad exhaust and thought I could be a little louder, especially above 4k RPM. I got the magnaflow resonated x pipe. The local exhaust guy tried talking me out of installing it. Saying it will sound like stock. I went home and did more research and sound clips. After about a week I convinced myself that this is what I needed for my exhaust. He installed. And.....it sounds like stock. Wished I listened and did an x pipe.

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
I have the Roush quad tip exhaust and the active system with it. I’m also running catless Kooks headers. I had the magnaflow setup and I still had rasp that I wanted to get rid of so I nstalled the borla resonator and got my deep tones back. My system can be quiet or loud based on what I switch to on the fly. Much happier with the borla resonator but this is of course my experience
3D1C2273-C4D4-4743-BFA2-9486AB81DD07.jpeg
0FA23922-6648-4EDC-BA6B-B3B913BE3F8D.jpeg
2E1C5DB2-368A-4CF3-9768-9E3C0CDB9AE4.jpeg

3D1C2273-C4D4-4743-BFA2-9486AB81DD07.jpeg
0FA23922-6648-4EDC-BA6B-B3B913BE3F8D.jpeg
2E1C5DB2-368A-4CF3-9768-9E3C0CDB9AE4.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP

USMC_Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 stage 3 roush
DB252, Guess I'll find out in a week..... It had some great reviews from costumers with the roush quad tip, hoping it will sound different for me without the long tubes. I love borla, was just trying to save some time and money having to get it all welded up.

DDAARR, resonator delete x pipe is loud at WOT for sure. A lot of people like that raspy racecar sound, it's just not for me.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I haven't heard one Roush setup that I've liked. They all sound like farts and yelling to me.

I went with the 2018 Active Exhaust mufflers, and they sound fantastic. I haven't gotten the wiring installed to control the valves, but even when them full open, they sound fantastic, and they're not too loud. As a daily driver, they're just about right, with the right amount of popping and burbling during downshifts or idle. I'm still running the stock resonator, though that will be replaced with an H-pipe after I get the valves wired up.

JR

1st_order

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Premium 6MT
I had the same issue with my Roush (dual) setup. When I had the stock resonator, the exhaust was too quiet, so I did a resonator delete (H pipe). Then it sounded good below 3k rpm, but way too raspy above 3k, and too loud overall. I went back to the stock resonator for a while, then tried the Magnaflow resonated X pipe. The Magnaflow was not any different than the stock resonator, in terms of volume level, when paired with Roush mufflers (if anything, it may have even been a little quieter). It did give me a little more "X pipe" sound (smoother than the stock resonator), but that's it. So, I put the H pipe back in, and had two Vibrant 1792 12" resonators welded into the H pipe right behind the crossover. That's a real nice combo. You get the classic, deep H pipe sound, it cuts out almost all of the rasp at most rpms and throttle positions. It's still a bit raspy above 5k at WOT, but I think that's a good trade for what I consider to be the perfect sound and volume level at every other set of conditions. I'll be interested to hear how the Borla resonator works out for you in comparison - it's one of the few things I didn't try.

1st_order

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Premium 6MT
Just realized I confused the OP with another post, and that you're going with the Magnaflow rather than the Borla, USMC_Mustang. Yea, it'll get rid of all of the rasp and be almost exactly the same volume as a Roush AB on a mustang with a stock resonator. It will sound a bit smoother as well. So, good luck - hope you like the results!

OP
OP

USMC_Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 stage 3 roush
Well....it definitely is quieter and the rasp is gone. I wish there was some middle ground in there. I'm going to roll with it for awhile. It reminds me of my 2009 GT500 when I had the roush extreme catback with cats (without cats that catback truly was EXTREME). Not horrible but could be a tad louder. One thing I noticed putting this on is that there is not a lot of clearance between the resonator and the frame on the driver side. I have maybe an inch if I'm lucky. I drove it around and didn't hear it hitting so I guess I'm good.
Sponsored