Roush CAC operation

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
I like to monitor stuff so I have a base line if something starts to go south. I'm trying to understand how the Charge Air Cooling functions. I was monitoring the iat2 with the torque app. It was a cool night. Probably 50 degrees. When moving the IAT2 was 118. The IATs were at ambient. When stopped (stock in traffic) IAT2 went to 142. As soon as I moved even a few feet they dropped back to 118. The water temp was 195 to 210. In a stock set up, when does the IC pump come on. I would think the pump running and fan running, the IAT2s should not climb especially just driving around normally.
Sponsored

DF19RS3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3 Mustang, 1967 Chevy Chevelle
I like to monitor stuff so I have a base line if something starts to go south. I'm trying to understand how the Charge Air Cooling functions. I was monitoring the iat2 with the torque app. It was a cool night. Probably 50 degrees. When moving the IAT2 was 118. The IATs were at ambient. When stopped (stock in traffic) IAT2 went to 142. As soon as I moved even a few feet they dropped back to 118. The water temp was 195 to 210. In a stock set up, when does the IC pump come on. I would think the pump running and fan running, the IAT2s should not climb especially just driving around normally.

My intercooler pump seems to work when it wants. I currently have Zero flow in my tank even with the pump is turning on. Third pump in 3000 miles. Maybe you have an air pocket or the relay is bad. Those seem to be common problems. If you Join the Roush page on FB you can search and find lots of issues pertaining to this same exact problem. The coolant temp in your radiator system and the coolant temp in CAC system are two different set ups. The intercooler pump is on as soon as the accessory power is on or the car is on. Check the flow in your tank and let us know what you are seeing..Make a video of it and post it here.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
this seems pretty normal to me. there is no fan running in scenario that you have described. there's also no fans anywhere near the actual radiator for IC coolant. Also, Mustang front facia is pretty bad at directing airflow to radiators and when SC installation is done, installers may cut corners on modifying and putting back the plastic pieces around the radiator that should direct air to the rads. these cars are also terrible at extracting heat from the engine bay area, so all of it gets trapped inside. As a cumulative result, you have tons of air that goes around radiators instead of through them, and nothing helps it escape once it gets hot from the engine. I had to completely rebuild my radiator area boxing, open up the lower grille, as well as cover entire hood in racelouvers to address my cooling concerns.

bottom line - you're stuck in traffic, no airflow, temps go up. try to turn A/C on, it will kick off one of the fans at some lower speed and will help a bit. you can also force start both fans at full speed by holding brake and Set+ button for around 6-7 seconds.

OP
OP
Robottrainer

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
this seems pretty normal to me. there is no fan running in scenario that you have described. there's also no fans anywhere near the actual radiator for IC coolant. Also, Mustang front facia is pretty bad at directing airflow to radiators and when SC installation is done, installers may cut corners on modifying and putting back the plastic pieces around the radiator that should direct air to the rads. these cars are also terrible at extracting heat from the engine bay area, so all of it gets trapped inside. As a cumulative result, you have tons of air that goes around radiators instead of through them, and nothing helps it escape once it gets hot from the engine. I had to completely rebuild my radiator area boxing, open up the lower grille, as well as cover entire hood in racelouvers to address my cooling concerns.

bottom line - you're stuck in traffic, no airflow, temps go up. try to turn A/C on, it will kick off one of the fans at some lower speed and will help a bit. you can also force start both fans at full speed by holding brake and Set+ button for around 6-7 seconds.
Thanks it makes sense. You' d think Roush being an engineering company they would know this and have the fan come on at a lower threshhold or when the IAT2s hit 130. I realize there is no seperate fan but the heat exchanger being in front of the rad should be effected by the rad fan. I can see Why the RS3s have the vents in the fender, and better grills. I also find it odd they didn't go with a 170 degree thermostat.

jon.smith76063

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX Hatch, 1994 Cobra, 2020 Roush Stage 3
Thanks it makes sense. You' d think Roush being an engineering company they would know this and have the fan come on at a lower threshhold or when the IAT2s hit 130. I realize there is no seperate fan but the heat exchanger being in front of the rad should be effected by the rad fan. I can see Why the RS3s have the vents in the fender, and better grills. I also find it odd they didn't go with a 170 degree thermostat.
This is one of the main reason's I wanted to get a 20 and up stage 3. The cooling package alone is worth it.

Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Right, 170 thermostat and tweaking fans triggers in tune are two quite popular mods after your warranty is done. You can also get roush max cooling kit with additional side rads and vents, that is not a problem. It's another $2k + install, but it's not huge in grand scheme of things. It won't massively improve your IAT2 in traffic though. 😄

OP
OP
Robottrainer

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
My intercooler pump seems to work when it wants. I currently have Zero flow in my tank even with the pump is turning on. Third pump in 3000 miles. Maybe you have an air pocket or the relay is bad. Those seem to be common problems. If you Join the Roush page on FB you can search and find lots of issues pertaining to this same exact problem. The coolant temp in your radiator system and the coolant temp in CAC system are two different set ups. The intercooler pump is on as soon as the accessory power is on or the car is on. Check the flow in your tank and let us know what you are seeing..Make a video of it and post it here.
I had a look at it today. After going out for fuel, lots of Start and go driving, I came home and opened the tank. I see no movement. The IAT2s were at about 113. The coolant was room temperature. I stuck my finger in the fluid and it was at room temp no pressure either. I thought about checking the relay which I assume is the one mounted on the shock tower. I tried to pull it off but I couldn't. I assume you have to unbolt it to get it off. Looks like it might be a warranty trip.

DF19RS3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I had a look at it today. After going out for fuel, lots of Start and go driving, I came home and opened the tank. I see no movement. The IAT2s were at about 113. The coolant was room temperature. I stuck my finger in the fluid and it was at room temp no pressure either. I thought about checking the relay which I assume is the one mounted on the shock tower. I tried to pull it off but I couldn't. I assume you have to unbolt it to get it off. Looks like it might be a warranty trip.
Yeah what’s weird is mine is doing similar even down to no pressure in the tank. I do have pressure on the lines though. Coolant is like yours. What ever the temp is outside is the temp in the bottle.

I messed with mine tonight and un bolted the degas bottle trying to wiggle it around and squeeze the hoses to try and push the air out. No luck. Can you hear your pump on when you turn just the accessories on?

DF19RS3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Doesn’t look like yours has much flow either. Weird because the ones on the net I find show it flowing And swirling in the tanks. Taking with another guy on here with what sounds like the same issues. What’s your opinion on your flow in the tank?

Sponsored

DF19RS3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)

DF19RS3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)

DF19RS3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)

DF19RS3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Looking at yours again I can at least actually see some movement it appears.
Here is a Roush/Bosch pump. Neither of ours has swirls like this.

Sponsored