Unleash-The-Beast

Flashback to 1965
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mr. Ed
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium W. drop top
'15 convertible, installed Roush AB about 2.5 years ago from CJ Pony parts.

Recently I installed a trailer hitch for a bike and had to remove the axle backs to get it up there. After I reinstalled the Roush AB I have a rattle in the left-hand muffler. I only hear it at idle when it's cold and only sometimes.

I pulled the left side off and took the tip off so I have nothing left but the original axle back. And you can hit it with a rubber mallet or your open Palm and hear the rattle. There seems to be absolutely nothing on the outside that's loose or rattly and I can only assume it's the baffle inside.

Anybody have any ideas on any way I can fix this? It appears Roush only has a 90 day warranty on these, so I'm screwed there. But I hate to buy one Muffler, just to make my nice car not sound like crap when I start it up.

I shook it all around there does not appear to be anything on the inside like a rock. It all seems to be solid inside and out but something's definitely funky.
Sponsored

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
My driver side also went bad after about three years or so, know problem with the welds on something. Basically have to replace it.

OP
OP
Unleash-The-Beast

Unleash-The-Beast

Flashback to 1965
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mr. Ed
Vehicle(s)
My driver side also went bad after about three years or so, know problem with the welds on something. Basically have to replace it.
That kind of stinks, stainless steel exhaust that oughta last me the life of my car and I have to replace it? That's very frustrating.
And I haven't looked into it yet but I assume I can't just buy a left Muffler, unless I find a used Market somewhere.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Yeah I ended up buying another set some Ford dealers have them for $500 shipped on eBay but I have seen single sides for sale before on there. But then if they fail after a certain amount of time them I am not sure buying used it worth it.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Does Roush not have a warranty on these? Or is it expired long before the issues show up?

Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
2.5 years isn't great, not withstanding the 90 day warranty if there's a quality issue - based on another post it seems there may be - it might be worth chasing up the vendor.

Maybe you could take it to an exhaust shop and get them to cut a sizeable panel out of the top, get in and reweld the internals to future proof it, and re weld the removed panel section. You'd never see it on the car, and it'd likely be a long term fix while not costing much. Bit of messing about but maybe worth it for a long term fix compared to the hassle and cost of finding a single only for it to maybe happen again.

Just a thought.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Did you drop it or something when you removed it? You didn't say so, but I'm assuming there was no rattle before you removed it?

If you have or know somebody who has a scope, might not sure to take a look inside so you know exactly what the deal is. Or just beat it with a steel mallet like it owes you money until it stops rattling.

Did you contact Roush directly? I wouldn't mention anything other than "it just started rattling one day", maybe they'll be cool and send you a new one, or trade you for yours for a cheaper price or something.

OP
OP
Unleash-The-Beast

Unleash-The-Beast

Flashback to 1965
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mr. Ed
Vehicle(s)
I did not drop it when I took it down. After I found out about the 90 day warranty I was not going to contact them, but I think I will know. I will also reach out to cjponyparts that I purchased it from and see if they have any ideas or any way they can help me.

OP
OP
Unleash-The-Beast

Unleash-The-Beast

Flashback to 1965
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mr. Ed
Vehicle(s)
Maybe you could take it to an exhaust shop and get them to cut a sizeable panel out of the top, get in and reweld the internals to future proof it, and re weld the removed panel section. You'd never see it on the car, and it'd likely be a long term fix while not costing much. Bit of messing about but maybe worth it for a long term fix compared to the hassle and cost of finding a single only for it to maybe happen again.

Just a thought.[/QUOTE]

This is a pretty good idea as well, I'll ask around because I'm new in town see if I can find a good muffler shop and see if they have some ideas.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Unleash-The-Beast

Unleash-The-Beast

Flashback to 1965
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mr. Ed
Vehicle(s)
AWESOME NEWS

Based on suggestions from my fellow Mustang Enthusiast, I called Roush and they suggested I send them a video clip. Which I did and they are now shipping me a brand new muffler to correct this problem.

Roush for life!

This is really awesome news because I don't know how many videos I listen to of various exhaust setups and that was the one that I liked the most. So happy to have it back and not rattling again

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
AWESOME NEWS

Based on suggestions from my fellow Mustang Enthusiast, I called Roush and they suggested I send them a video clip. Which I did and they are now shipping me a brand new muffler to correct this problem.

Roush for life!

This is really awesome news because I don't know how many videos I listen to of various exhaust setups and that was the one that I liked the most. So happy to have it back and not rattling again
A company that appreciates its customers will draw more because of it.

mustangenthusiast25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang Gt Premium
AWESOME NEWS

Roush for life!

Do you by chance a video of that rattle? I have a rattle when taking off and driving at lower rpms and at 2600rpms. I have the roush axle back and dealer wasn't able to find anything else wrong with the car for it be doing this. It would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored