Sponsored

After 4 years FRPP2 install!

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I have had this kit in my garage for over 3+ years. First original group buy Dec 16'.

Had a plethora of problems so shelved it. I am finally ready to install this kit. I have a couple questions. Can I or should I install tune onto vehicle prior to installing hard parts and CUTTING vacuum lines to make sure the tune is successful?

I would hate to cut lines and be fked. Like I said this kit is OG. Ford Performance said I should have no issues with the Voucher. It would be a lot easier to have the Ford Performancetune fail and no hard parts installed and still be able to drive the car ( only vehicle).
Sponsored

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
I’d probably do the tune first for the reason you state. The tune will download the latest version when you claim the voucher so you should be good.

Make sure you use a battery charger while doing the tune.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
I doubt you'll run into an issue regardless. but definitely install it really worth it!

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
Do what the instructions say.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Yeah just follow the instructions. You can download the pdf from FRPs website. Also make sure you update your tuner to the latest version.

If there are any problems members have contacted there customer support and they seem to be very helpful supporting there customers if something were to go wrong.

It's a pretty easy install nothing to worry about!

Sponsored

OP
OP

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Do what the instructions say.

I have two instructions. One for the hard part and one for the calibration. I will follow the instructions on both. My question was can I install the tune prior to hard parts for reasons stated. The 17' guys don't have to worry about cutting vacuum lines. 15-16s do.

Appears there is no engine start during tune calibration just ignition on and off. I think I should be fine. Ford Performance is closed on weekends so winging it.

OP
OP

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Ok glad I decided to try tune first. Procal3v4.6 showing in top corner.

The only tabs it shows are;

Instructions - Program- Download-Record- Analyze.

There is no diagnostics tab or configuration tab.

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
You'll be fine. You can download the tune before you put parts on the car. Make sure your hood is closed and your doors are closed. If not you'll get a bcm error.

OP
OP

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I axed the install until I figure out why my menu tabs on my procal3 file don't match the instruction menu tabs they have listed. It pulls the battery info and vin and what not but the tabs aren't matching.

Not sure If I got the wrong procal3 version or what. Ill call Monday.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I axed the install until I figure out why my menu tabs on my procal3 file don't match the instruction menu tabs they have listed. It pulls the battery info and vin and what not but the tabs aren't matching.

Not sure If I got the wrong procal3 version or what. Ill call Monday.
Its ok if they do not match especially if your instructions are 3 years old. Mine do not match and I did install 2 times with procal update in betwen and they changed tab names again.

Tell me if you'll have detonation on 91 after the install. I eventually uninstalled pp2.

P.s. - instructions are not the bedt btw. Written by some sort of technical writer rather than someone who'd want to explain us all whys.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
The instructions I printed out a long time ago match the instructions word for word off the instructions tab i clicked today on procal menu.

There is no diagnostics or configuration tab. This prevents me from doing any DCT checks or profile learn or octane adjust which appears I might need if there is pinging like you mentioned.

It also prevents me from doing a crank relearn which is common after install.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
The instructions I printed out a long time ago match the instructions word for word off the instructions tab i clicked today on procal menu.

There is no diagnostics or configuration tab. This prevents me from doing any DCT checks or profile learn or octane adjust which appears I might need if there is pinging like you mentioned.

It also prevents me from doing a crank relearn which is common after install.
Have you created an account and entered email/pwd /voucher in procal?

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Those tabs won't show until the tune is downloaded from frpp.

Log in through procal and then once it downloads the tune from frpp different tabs populate. Only when the tune file is selected will additional tabs populate. Once you close out the tune file it goes back to the reduced tab you are currently looking at

The octane adjust wont become available until after the tune is loaded either. It doesn't reflash the tune, only changes some setting somewhere.

the first time i flashed the tune, i unplugged the obd2 dongle by mistake instead of powering off the car. no issues though. i reverted to stock and then back to the frpp tune. even if the flash stops mid load, the instructions say to start over but load it twice to make sure. never had any issues other than the instructions not being clear to power off the 'unit' which is another term for car (not unplug the dongle!)
no tune.png
tune.png

Last edited:
OP
OP

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Ok, I see where it asks for the email, voucher # etc to download calibration. I got nervous because that was the next page on the instructions with the previous page showing those four tabs I didnt have. I was unsure whether to move forward with that next process.

This is my first tune install ever and quite frankly not well versed on computers.

I really appreciate the help fellas.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Ok, I see where it asks for the email, voucher # etc to download calibration. I got nervous because that was the next page on the instructions with the previous page showing those four tabs I didnt have. I was unsure whether to move forward with that next process.

This is my first tune install ever and quite frankly not well versed on computers.

I really appreciate the help fellas.
I am good with computers, but instructions did leave me a bit frustrated.

Since you are in CA and limited to 91 octane, beware of Octane adjust switch. This one is not part of FRPP package and can be switched on/off at any time before or after tune installation.

In my case I had to turn it on and that reduced detonation, but it was still there and eventually made me rollback to stock.

I did not do crank relearn though as I did not find correlation between the tune and this function. And again - this function is separate from power pack itself, just like dtc codes read/reset.
Sponsored