Rough ride 2020 Ecoboost Convertible

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I have an 18 GT premium convertible with the standard 18" wheels and all weather tires. Past experience taught me this would be the best combination for SE Wisconsin streets. But, it is a large convertible, so there is still some cowl flex. I don't use run flat tires. they ride like they are filled with cement.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Alan2955

Alan2955

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ecoboost premium auto convertible standard suspension optional 19 inch wheels
do it now, or at least put in for a quote to Carvana, Vroom and similar. You might well get over top-dollar.
Also go find a car meet and see if you can't convince a fellow Mustang driver to let you borrow his wheels for an afternoon and see if it really makes any difference. Are you SURE the shipping pucks have been removed from the springs?
Yes they’ve been removed. It couldn’t float if they weren’t. Plus dealer replaced a strut bearing. It’s just a very poorly set up suspension in my opinion. I don’t know what Ford was thinking. I think they have rough roads in the Detroit area? Lol. I had an 83 mustang GT and the 2014 V6 convertible and I had no complaints about their ride quality. Yes they didn’t ride like luxury cars but they didn’t have you dreading any road that had bumps in it either . This thing is so bad that sometimes it actually startles me over how it acts over certain bumps. I put in a bid to Carvana and was surprised how much money they offered me, but then I lose the sales tax credit on about $29,000. At 7% that’s about 2 grand. So I’ll just wait until I find something I like and trade it. My next idea is test drive an Audi A 5 convertible. If the ride quality is a lot better I might go for one of those. Or if I can find a low mileage 2014 V6 Mustang convertible I might
snag one of those up. Most of the V-6 models though have a ton of miles on them, because they started life as rental cars. Also a new or slightly used GT is an option so long as it has the smaller wheels.

familyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ruby Red
You could go with 17" wheels/tires since you have a non performance model with standard calipers; not the Brembos.

OP
OP
Alan2955

Alan2955

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ecoboost premium auto convertible standard suspension optional 19 inch wheels
You could go with 17" wheels/tires since you have a non performance model with standard calipers; not the Brembos.
True. My best bet though is probably dump it for a different car. I’m not too fond of the engine noise, but it’s an impressive engine power wise. Since I bought it used I’m not going to get burned much. Today I drove a used 2020 GT vert with the 18 inch 50 series tires. Amazing how much different those feel. It feels like a heavy car, and takes bumps with less drama. Handling feels sloppy compared to my ecoboost but plenty good enough for me. Of course the engine sounds much better.
Also tried a 2018 Audi A5 convertible. Damn the Germans are wizards of suspensions. It gobbled up rough pavement amazingly smooth, even though it had 40 series tires. Handled and accelerated well too. A very sweet ride, but not as sporty looking as the Mustang. GT or the A5 are both contenders now.

Siege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible PP1, 2003 Marauder Trilogy S/C #250, 1992 Mustang 5.0 Notch
Apologies if this has already been asked but have you checked to see if the shipping blocks were removed from the suspension during PDI?

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Apologies if this has already been asked but have you checked to see if the shipping blocks were removed from the suspension during PDI?
OP has checked everything. Bottom line is he doesn’t like this car and plans to get rid of it.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
The base suspension on the mustang is an odd combination of harsh on rough surfaces and floaty on dips and such.
I just wrapped up a nine day rental of of a 2020 Eco Convertible, presumably just like the OP's, same wheels, etc. His comment above is EXACTLY how I would describe the suspension. When I first pulled out of the rental garage, the ride was so firm, it reminded me a lot of my Perf Pack suspension. Then I took a corner fast and went over some dips. It bounced around like an old Buick. It really is a poor suspension set up. I loved my factory Perf Pack suspension as a great sporty street suspension (have switched to FP Track Pack, which I love even more!). PP was firm, but controlled. This 2020 base suspension was not comfortable, or controlled. Taller tires will help with the harshness, but not the floatiness.
1599524252167.png

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
It's precisely the reason I chose my GT Premium without performance option so I can get the 18 inch wheels with meaty tires. Unfortunate not able to pick 18" wheel/tire combo when picking performance options. And, costs too much to go from 19 or 20 inch wheels.

When I drive my Jeep Wrangler I feel like I am floating in the air with the awesome meaty tires.

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP needs to live in Montgomery, Alabama, a little known secret. Low tax, efficient city Government. We have no pot holes in our city. And, when a pot hole is created, it's life is very short, less than a week.

Sponsored

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Wish there was an OE spring rate chart for other than GT.
For instance, are the rates different from eco 'vert to coupe? How about base v6 coupe like mine? Do rates change with different stock wheel sizes? Looked, can't find.
BTW, I'm happy with the ride on my V6 with stock 17" Hankooks. Fun to drive and comfy, too.
Might want to upgrade someday, but need baseline #'s.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP needs to live in Montgomery, Alabama, a little known secret. Low tax, efficient city Government. We have no pot holes in our city. And, when a pot hole is created, it's life is very short, less than a week.
I definitely envy anyone who lives with low taxes and good government (God knows we don't have that in IL). However, I suspect the lack of snow, salt, and snow plows may also contribute to those nice roads you have in Montgomery AL ;)

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I definitely envy anyone who lives with low taxes and good government (God knows we don't have that in IL). However, I suspect the lack of snow, salt, and snow plows may also contribute to those nice roads you have in Montgomery AL ;)
Hear you! I understand.

I am old school - don't like low profile tires. Pot holes are tough on any tires.

OP
OP
Alan2955

Alan2955

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The bad ride can be easily fixed.
You are very correct. I traded it last Saturday on a 2018 Audi A5 convertible. While I like the mustang styling better, the Audi is a 10 times better car. It rides like a dream even though it’s on 35 series tires, it’s still corners very well, there’s no floating or cowl shake. It feels incredibly solid for a drop top. According to magazine tests the acceleration is about the same as the mustang eco-boost. The transmission shifts smooth as can be, and the engine is quiet and doesn’t drone. It’s a shame the mustang doesn’t ride and drive like this car, and sadly if Ford would try a little harder it could. Granted this car listed new for about 14 K more than my Mustang, but it’s also a more luxuriously finished car with real wood trim etc. Ford needs to apply more effort to refinement. I do have some concerns about Audi reliability but it still has a couple years warranty left on it. At least it’s a pleasure to drive, and I’m not swearing at the bumpy ride and the transmission shifting rough. Lol

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are very correct. I traded it last Saturday on a 2018 Audi A5 convertible. While I like the mustang styling better, the Audi is a 10 times better car. It rides like a dream even though it’s on 35 series tires, it’s still corners very well, there’s no floating or cowl shake. It feels incredibly solid for a drop top. According to magazine tests the acceleration is about the same as the mustang eco-boost. The transmission shifts smooth as can be, and the engine is quiet and doesn’t drone. It’s a shame the mustang doesn’t ride and drive like this car, and sadly if Ford would try a little harder it could. Granted this car listed new for about 14 K more than my Mustang, but it’s also a more luxuriously finished car with real wood trim etc. Ford needs to apply more effort to refinement. I do have some concerns about Audi reliability but it still has a couple years warranty left on it. At least it’s a pleasure to drive, and I’m not swearing at the bumpy ride and the transmission shifting rough. Lol
Yep, the A5 is a better car than the S550. Is it worth the difference in price? Opinions will vary. I owned a VW Phaeton for 10 years and a Q7 for 12 years (still own a cc). Unfortunately, the VW/Audi products didn't age well for me, especially the Q7. You may want to seriously consider an extended warranty. Good luck!
Sponsored