Sponsored

Rock chip touch up

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Ingot Silver
What are some good touch up kits that will help the appearance a bit? It’s not that bad but I know it’s there.

I plan on touching it up when spring comes around and I’m able to do a full detail. There are a few other spots on the front bumper about the same size.

844B3625-1F5A-443A-BB87-68247EA6E65B.jpeg
Sponsored

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
Get the touch up paint from ford and watch the AMMO NYC video on paint touch up using a syringe and blunt tip needle. Know that it isn't going to look perfect so you dont drive yourself crazy, but you will prevent oxidation, which is the main goal. Just did this on mine before coating the car.

OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Get the touch up paint from ford and watch the AMMO NYC video on paint touch up using a syringe and blunt tip needle. Know that it isn't going to look perfect so you dont drive yourself crazy, but you will prevent oxidation, which is the main goal. Just did this on mine before coating the car.
Thanks! Yeah, I just want it to look decent and protect it like you stated.

rangerryda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium A10
Vehicle Showcase
Metallic paint touch ups never look as good as you'd like. With silver, it is a lighter color though so it may hide better than some others.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Look up dr. colorchip too. Many people here recommend it, so do a search. I tried some other brand before, using some pens filled with the appropriate colour, but couldn't get it to look half-decent. May work fine for some, but think it requires a more professional approach than I had.

Dr. colorchip is considerably easier to use. Doesn't look great, but considerably better than having the chip there, and of course, covers up the metal.

I have a panel below the door where I spun up a bunch of gravel going off track once. 50-70 tiny chips in the small panel probably, and I'm not going to even try getting that to look ok with the Dr. colorchip stuff (will get a quote for painting it instead, some day), but for a few chips here and there, I'm satisfied with Dr. colorchip.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Look up dr. colorchip too. Many people here recommend it, so do a search. I tried some other brand before, using some pens filled with the appropriate colour, but couldn't get it to look half-decent. May work fine for some, but think it requires a more professional approach than I had.

Dr. colorchip is considerably easier to use. Doesn't look great, but considerably better than having the chip there, and of course, covers up the metal.

I have a panel below the door where I spun up a bunch of gravel going off track once. 50-70 tiny chips in the small panel probably, and I'm not going to even try getting that to look ok with the Dr. colorchip stuff (will get a quote for painting it instead, some day), but for a few chips here and there, I'm satisfied with Dr. colorchip.
+1 on Dr. Colorchip. Great stuff used it, a lot, on my 15’ Ruby Red. It was a daily highway driver with no PPF ( I learned my lesson on my 19’). They have many options for those with just a few chips to full blown road rash.

https://www.drcolorchip.com/

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I used a small artists brush to apply touch up paint.

IMG-2562.jpg

I have also used a toothpick in the past too and the idea of a syringe sounds good too. The main advise would be not "paint" the chip, rather use the tip of the brush/toothpick/syringe to dab the paint and filling the rock chip.

As mentioned, have a look at a few of Larry Kosilla's videos, he has a great way of explaining what he is doing.

OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the help guys! Much appreciated!! Definitely out of my comfort zone but I like to learn new things.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Thanks for all the help guys! Much appreciated!! Definitely out of my comfort zone but I like to learn new things.
The main thing would be to be patient and take your time.

Make sure you use some isopropyl alcohol or a prep-spray to wipe over the chip before applying paint. This will make sure the paint bonds properly.

https://carpro.global/catalog/eraser/

rangerryda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium A10
Vehicle Showcase
You can always wipe the touch-up paint away using alcohol if you goof up. Just start over. No harm, no foul. What looks best to you is the best way to do it!

Sponsored

NFG19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT PP1
Rock from a lawn mower! Almost went trough the door. What sucks is I had her ceramic coated.

C7F44147-F4B3-404B-BC2C-DE544B206D7C.jpeg

ChrisJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1, 2001 Chevy Silverado LT 1500, 2018 Audi S4
Recommend Dr. Colorchip, main thing is to read and follow the directions and take your time. Add little more paint than needed let paint dry for 5 minutes then use the blending solution and lightly buff till its flat. Used it to fix three dings on our Magnetic and I cant even see where they were unless I shine a bright light on it.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I use the Ford pen and just dab and let the paint from the tip fill the hole. Comes out pretty good, you can't see it unless you're looking for it. There's different levels of doing the repair, you can do multiple coats to completely fill in the chip and then sand the surrounding area to blend it, if you want to spend the time on that.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
I bought the touchup paint and the Loew-Cornell painting pens from the video.
Sponsored