Roaring noise coming from right rear tire area

vetonater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB/ 2022 Oxford White Mach 1
Hello I have a decent idea of what is wrong but I am just trying to see what others think. I own a 2018 mustang EB auto that’s full stock. I recently hammered it over a concrete drain hole going about 45-50 and chipped off part of my right rear aluminum rim and warped it. Since then the car is out of alignment a bit and once I accelerate 30+ I hear an awful howling/ rubbing noise coming from the right rear tire( the one I warped and chipped) . I had the rim replaced with an OEM, today, with new rear tires, noise is still the same. New wheel bearing+ alignment? Possible rear differential issues? Any personal experiences? Car has not been lowered or anything. Totally stock. Thank you for your input and insight!
Sponsored

OP
OP

vetonater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
Most likely the wheel bearing is damaged or the nut was backed off by the impact.
So do you think replacing that bearing would fix the alignment issue? Or will I also need an alignment

Sponsored

OP
OP

vetonater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
Much appreciated brother
I’m not sure if this changes your response but it is visibly noticeable that one of my rear tires are sticking out further than the other.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not sure if this changes your response but it is visibly noticeable that one of my rear tires are sticking out further than the other.
I did the same but not only on my rear but front as well last November. So the howling sound is a wheel bearing go replace it as it's dangerous. This cars had terrible wheel bearing design so if you can get the Ford Performance version of the bearings get that. I end up replacing 4 wheel bearings front right and both rear once and the left one failed again so replaced in warranty from the dealer, 2 wheels and did an alignment car is still a bit off at the rear back (can't get same camber as on the left) but overall car drives perfect.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE

I think he gave you good advice. Get the damages repaired and have the alignment checked.
Going strictly by your comment on the rear tire sticking out (is it the damaged one?) I'd say it's possible there's more going on than a bearing. Maybe alignment, maybe you shifted the entire rear end?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'd immediately check the axle nut torque. Then replace the bearing if necessary (most likely). And finally, but most importantly, get an alignment at a reputable shop. If there're any other issues, the car simply won't align properly, and you'll know right there what is wrong. Could be a bent control arm if the damaged wheel is visibly different than the other. Good luck.

OP
OP

vetonater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
I'd immediately check the axle nut torque. Then replace the bearing if necessary (most likely). And finally, but most importantly, get an alignment at a reputable shop. If there're any other issues, the car simply won't align properly, and you'll know right there what is wrong. Could be a bent control arm if the damaged wheel is visibly different than the other. Good luck.
Thank you for the responses. But yes the right rear tire ( the one I cracked over the drain hole) is the one sticking out.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If your rim was damaged as you stated above, especially reading what you hit and at those speeds, do as others have said, check the rear wheel bearing on that side and get an alignment.

Also, it’s very possible there are other damages to the linkage on that side OR the impact shifted the entire IRS cradle. Definitely take it to a Dealership and have them get it on a rack to check it out.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
I've never seen an alignment guy that will "check" the alignment. They spend the same amount of time setting up the car either way, so the cost is largely the same. Besides, most adjustments are relatively quick and easy, that is unless you've been monkeying with your suspension with aftermarket non OEM parts in which case all bets are off.

OP
OP

vetonater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
I take it to the dealer in the morning. Any of you guys have previous experience on what it will cost? Best case and worse case scenario?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I've never seen an alignment guy that will "check" the alignment.
It obviously means check, and adjust if necessary :). And yes, it'd cost the same whether it needs adjustment or not. If any parts are damaged, and car doesn't align as a result, it'd be an extra charge, of course.

If the same shop does the repair, they usually don't charge you again to finish the alignment, once the bad parts are replaced. Hard to estimate how much it'd be until you're there. An alignment runs around 100 bucks, but in expensive cities it might be like $150. Good luck OP.
Sponsored