Sponsored

Road Trip: Mustang GT or GT350?

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
Since your getting the performance package, you may want to look at spare tire options. Since you are getting the Brembo brakes, the standard Ford spare doesn't fit, so you don't get 1. You get an air compressor with fix a flat. Fine if the hole is in the tread, but my 1 month old tire took a nail to the sidewall. And big o doesn't offer road hazard on this brand (sumitomo). I'm still trying to figure out a spare before my Canada trip.
Sponsored

Ricochet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT Premium 6sp
Hmm, I might be inclined to get both. Take the GT on your trip, sell or trade it for the 350 to take back with you.
I think Redcruzer is onto something here...get a GT Premium (like mine) and trade it in on a GT350 at the end of the trip or whichever way is the easiest.

I would have to get the GT350 one way or another. It looks like you will be in Charleston, SC...that is the #1 romantic and friendliest city in the US with several top 100 US restaurants. I can recommend a few spots and more.

BTW, that looks like an awesome road trip...I have driven cross-country a few times but nothing like that. :cheers:

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
I think Redcruzer is onto something here...get a GT Premium (like mine) and trade it in on a GT350 at the end of the trip or whichever way is the easiest.

I would have to get the GT350 one way or another. It looks like you will be in Charleston, SC...that is the #1 romantic and friendliest city in the US with several top 100 US restaurants. I can recommend a few spots and more.

BTW, that looks like an awesome road trip...I have driven cross-country a few times but nothing like that. :cheers:
Won't work. Read his original post closer. He has to own the car 6 months before bringing it back home. But I know how you Summerville boys don't pay attention. ;)
Summerville High class of '81 myself.

Ricochet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT Premium 6sp
Won't work. Read his original post closer. He has to own the car 6 months before bringing it back home. But I know how you Summerville boys don't pay attention. ;)
Summerville High class of '81 myself.
Haha Yeah, I read that post and this thread rather quickly.

I'm actually from GA but we have been here for several years now. :)

Ricochet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT Premium 6sp
Again thanks for all your opinions and recommendations! To not clutter the thread to much, I won't give a reply to all of the individually, but be assured that I have read them all, and all arguments are being heard.

As a general update: Based on some of the posts here I reached out to couple of Ford dealers in the Netherlands to ask about their ability to service a GT350. As some of you predicted, they basically said that they are confident they can figure out what to do, but don't have any parts in inventory and ordering them from their importer would be challenging.

Furthermore I have reached out (3! times) to Koons Baltimore in relation to some pricing on a 2017 Mustang GT they have on their website. Interestingly enough they have not managed to follow up with me yet. The people on the chat just tell me "We will provide your details to the sales team" to never hear back and sending a direct email via their "contact us now" form yielded no result either. Is this typical for Koons? A-typical? Or common practice with US dealers in general? To me it is baffling :).

The reason I am asking them for pricing is to be able to in the end make a well informed decision. Since my finances are not unlimited the price difference between the two is still a variable in the equation. Especially since we won't be financing the car, meaning that every dollar we do not spend on the car, we can spend on other parts of the trip.

Than again.. if I look at the picture John just posted here.. it is hard not to fall in love :)
Shop around some more...Internet Sales departments are usually quick to respond. That's how I do it and it helps get things negotiated and in order prior to when you go there in person to buy/sign for it. Same goes for insurance...shop around online for quotes and just call the insurance company you choose the day after you purchase the car. USAA and Liberty Mutual are good ones. Good luck!

BTW, I wouldn't get a PP unless you want or need that extra/track performance and there is the issue of summer tires with the PP...not ideal for a cross country trip.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ravnoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP
Thanks again for the help. In the end I got everything sorted out, from insurance to parking. Picked the car up earlier today and had a nice first trip from Baltimore to New York. And of course some pictures!

SoFloEco

5 Liters of Love!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2020 Grabber Lime HPP Ecoboost Mustang
Thanks again for the help. In the end I got everything sorted out, from insurance to parking. Picked the car up earlier today and had a nice first trip from Baltimore to New York. And of course some pictures!

Nice choice. Depending on the date of your trip, I might tag along for a few states (if you don't mind a 'convoy' of sorts) as I'm planning on taking my 2017 on a cross-country trip to Laguna Seca in 2017. I'll subscribe to this thread for further information.
Good Luck with that Red beauty.:thumbsup:

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
[MENTION=23228]Ravnoss[/MENTION], Very nice! Enjoy the trip.

Ricochet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT Premium 6sp
Very nice, and I have the optional black roof too...enjoy!

Sponsored

Sammzway

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT (traded) / 16 Acura MDX
[MENTION=23228]Ravnoss[/MENTION]

Dealer will overnight you your NY registration and license plates once it's ready. You don't have to do anything other than keep an eye on the 30 days mark. If they don't send you your plates and reg within 30 days, call and ask them to overnight you another temporary registration. I just leased an out of state vehicle and that was the process. Congrats and good luck with the new ride.

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
Very nice choice. Keep us up to date on the trip when you get into it.

OP
OP

Ravnoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP
We are now a couple of months further and I am still absolutely loving the Mustang. Have been able to find plenty of nice New England roads to really play around! So far I have put 4500 Miles on the car.

However, this topic originally started with my road trip. We have finally finished our entire route and are going to drive roughly 16,000 Miles in 100 Days. If that isn't a classic American road trip, what is ;). To give you a sense of the trip, below the route:

Now, I have some questions I was hoping someone could shed some light on. The first question is basically how realistic it is that I will be able to finish this road trip on the stock GT PP tires? I don't think I will add a ton more Miles to the car before the trip starts, but by the end of the trip the car will be over 20.000 Miles. If not, any ideas on new tires that will last long enough to cover the entire trip?

Additionally, I plan to have a full check up on the car just before we leave, will that be enough to get me through the trip. Or would an additional check up somewhere half way through be advisable?

Reactions: 113

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
We are now a couple of months further and I am still absolutely loving the Mustang. Have been able to find plenty of nice New England roads to really play around! So far I have put 4500 Miles on the car.

However, this topic originally started with my road trip. We have finally finished our entire route and are going to drive roughly 16,000 Miles in 100 Days. If that isn't a classic American road trip, what is ;). To give you a sense of the trip, below the route:

Now, I have some questions I was hoping someone could shed some light on. The first question is basically how realistic it is that I will be able to finish this road trip on the stock GT PP tires? I don't think I will add a ton more Miles to the car before the trip starts, but by the end of the trip the car will be over 20.000 Miles. If not, any ideas on new tires that will last long enough to cover the entire trip?

Additionally, I plan to have a full check up on the car just before we leave, will that be enough to get me through the trip. Or would an additional check up somewhere half way through be advisable?
You'll do an oil change, and yes, there's a good chance you'll need to replace the tires just before or right after the end of your trip.

Looks like an awesome time. I'm jealous!

Reactions: 113

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Thanks again for the help. In the end I got everything sorted out, from insurance to parking. Picked the car up earlier today and had a nice first trip from Baltimore to New York. And of course some pictures
Grats. Been working with them when I was going to get a '16 & now am on the list for the '18s when their banks order. I've had nothing but good experiences with Koon's up there.
Sponsored