Sponsored

Road Trip: Mustang GT or GT350?

Mustang8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
This isn't car related but just by looking at your map I think you should give New Mexico some more love, at least a stop in Santa Fe. I used to live there (in Albuquerque) and it is a very beautiful state. Scenery, culture, food, etc.
Sponsored

mu5tang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB 3.7L
My 2 cents... If you got the $$ just get the GT350, throw some base cloth seats in it and do your road trip and put the race seats back in when you ship it home. (you'll hate the race seat for long drives) As far as reliability? it's a ford, LOL... ok kidding aside, there is enough ford dealers around the county if you have a problem and all new fords come with 24x7 roadside assistance. as long as you got cell coverage ford will come get you. Change your oil at 1500 miles and every 10000 after. check your air filter now and again. but before 20-30K miles other then oil i wouldn't worry if you are driving normal highway use. And this forum is so damn active we will answer any problems you have on the road in seconds.

Last edited:

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
GT350. Thank me later.

If you buy the GT but have the funds for the GT350, you will regret it. I promise.

Trole

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP 50th trim
I really hope you Document your trip on here, it would be nice to get your perspective on america as you travel all over the states. Either choice of cars is a winner, dont think you can make a bad choice between the two.

Safe travels.

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
Wow, what an opportunity!

I saw as a GT/PP owner, if I had the opportunity to do this in a GT350 I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Let me know when you're nearing Arizona and we'll get together for dinner and a drive!

Sponsored

Starman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT convertible
Amazing, lucky for you... that would be a great 3 month trip!

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I'd personally take the GT350, and then on your journey, stop at some members houses and show off the car and have a few. Your trip will take you fairly close to me here in Pa. We have an extra room and my girlfriend is a super cook, . . . . . .just saying. :D

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't recommend you make a stop in Portland Oregon as well as taking the drive to Mt Hood. Portland is a beautiful city. Mt Hood is such a sight to see. Also, I'd recommend Mt St Helens. The drive to the vantage point is eerie in that the trees are still laid to waste and charred. And on a good day you can see the lava from the crater. Finally, it looks like your trip is taking you through Buffalo and Niagara Falls. Definitely make the stop at the Falls and be sure to view it from the Canadian side as the view is much better. You can see the US side clearly as well as get very close to the Horseshoe Falls.
Definitely! I am just north of Portland and it is a beautiful area! Could show you where some good natural sites are, should do the drive up Hwy 101 for the view!

I would recommend the GT over the GT350 for you, the GT350 is a fantastic car but the GT will be more bullet proof at this point. The FPC is unproven and it is much more raw of a car, for the enthusiast and the track. Just my opinion though! :) Enjoy your drive!!!

OP
OP

Ravnoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP
Thanks all for the replies. Much appreciated. Although truth be told, so far it hasn't helped me get closer to a decision :). I see the arguments for both options and they are all valid :).

And yes, as so many of you said, my wife and I consider us terribly lucky to be in a position where we can undertake such a road trip. For me this definitely is one of those rare trips that has been a dream for as long as I can remember. Thank you all for the recommendations when it comes to destinations during the trip. The map a posted in my initial post is just a very rough estimate on how the trip could potential look like, and everything is still up for debate. So I will certainly take all of your recommendations into consideration. Furthermore, I really would love to meat some people during the trip, of course because it is great to share a passion, but mostly because I would love to get a taste of the culture around the country. I feel most my social life in NYC revolves around other expats, and so far it has been hard to really get in contact with locals.

And yes I will certainly document the trip on this forum. One of my biggest hobbies is photography, so that is a good combination with the road trip in mind ;). Two months ago we went for two weeks to Hawaii and drove four different Mustangs on four islands. A magical experience already :). Below some pictures from that trip:

26973875882_280915d812_c.jpg

27081483456_783c62f59d_c.jpg

27119125271_78aa0930df_c.jpg

ravengenesis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rai
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Oxford White
GT350, since you won't be able to take delivery of one even if you tried back home. GT you can get IF you want to shell out the cash.

Sponsored

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
I think a Premium GT with the Performance Pack would be more supportable once you're back home. Even something as simple as an oil change could be problematic as the GT350 oil filter is a special part, not the same as the GT, and would be completely unavailable locally. You'd have to special order everything. That said, I'd get the GT350 and have fun. You can deal with the small stuff later on.

When you're in the Florida panhandle you'll drive right by me. I live just north of Destin, you should definitely stop there and enjoy our beautiful Gulf beaches. Have a great trip!

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
If you could get the 350 at msrp, do it. It will be worth much more to an enthusiast back at your home than a GT will. Plus you will have alot more fun on your trip with the 350, both while driving and stopped answering questions and dodging photos!
Do this and stop by my house on Long Island and let me take it for a spin.

I do believe there was a bit of thought of making the 350 a comfy cruising car as well and not just a street monster.

BSheppard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Orange, Tech package, black stripes
I own both and for longer trips prefer the GT premium with the performance pack.

That being said, the ride on the GT350 is great and the car is much more fun overall. I just feel like droning away on the super slab is kinda wasting the goodness that is built into the Shelby.

If I was going to own only one, it would far and away be the GT350.

On the cost of both, my GT, PP, Premium car window sticker was $42k compared to $57k for the Shelby. The Shelby is the better buy IMO and worth the extra $15k. On top of that, resale will be much better on the Shelby if you ever want to sell it.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Hmm, I might be inclined to get both. Take the GT on your trip, sell or trade it for the 350 to take back with you.

Sal33n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 Alfa Stelvio
GT350 all the way. That flat plane V8 makes up for any discomfort! If comfort is your top priority get a fully loaded GT/CS auto if u don't want to row the gears.
Sponsored