Road rage incident

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
We don’t have much of a car jacking problem where I live. Fewer firearm problems, too:
Firearm deaths per 100,000, Canada: 1.94
Firearm deaths per 100,000, Kentucky: 17.5
Stats can be misleading without more specifics. Illinois probably has even higher deaths per 100,000 but the key is how many of them are criminal-related? The liberal media loves to quote stats on how many people are killed by firearms, yet they fail to show how many criminal use of firearms are done by lawful citizens who are allowed to possess them. Most firearms related deaths caused by lawfully owned firearms are either used in legit self-defense situations or by a stupid firearm owner who didn't follow the basic rules stressed by the NRA, NSSF, etc.
Sponsored

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
Don't care, still want my weapons. The police are reactive, not proactive. They come after the crime is done...
True, they arrive in time to identify the victims and try to figure out who did it and how to apprehend them. Don't depend on them to "save your life" by calling 911. They won't get there before the imminent threat takes you and your family out.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
just to clarify I didn’t do that while I was driving I did that at the stop light after the one guy got behind me. I thought he was going to start following me so that made me do that.

hopefully this thread will serve as a reminder for everyone else to maintain their patience and safety while driving.

we all love and value our cars on this Forum and I’m sure I’m not the only one who has found themself in this situation so I felt it was a valuable lesson to share.
Thank God I've never been in that situation, though with only 2600 miles on it my car's exposure in public hasn't been that often. Of course, I would definitely follow the slow down to a crawl if necessary to get them off your rear. Failing that, I'd drive to the nearest police station.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
This whole thread is a reason to drive a crapbox instead of a nice car.

People get triggered at the sight or sound of a fast car. They automatically want to troll or toy with you. I've seen it time and time again.

It's about time for me to sell my nice cars and get an old truck (the ones that don't dent just by looking at them) and maybe an old station wagon like the ones Chevy Chase drove in the National Lampoon movies!
Yes, driving something like a '54 Chevy (I got my license on one) would be great. The body was so thick and bumpers so strong you wouldn't need "push bars" like so many cop cars have to have as the new cars just can't take the punishment.

Reactions: Ebm

Sponsored

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
My Mustang has ACC. Just yesterday, I was following someone on the highway at about 70. After a while, I realized we were both doing 50 (in a center lane), as everyone was flying by us on either side. As I passed them on the left, it was clear they were on their phone... So I felt like the stupid one for allowing my car to become part of a rolling roadblock. 🤦‍♂️

There are 4 settings for following distance. At highway speeds, I vary between setting 2 and 3, which seems to equate to about 2 to 3 seconds behind the car in front of me. Setting 1 seems too close on the highway, but I have used it in slower traffic.
I've used the "1 bar" setting a lot and doing 60 on the freeway the distance is sufficient; of course as you slow down, the distance gets shorter. It obviously adjusts the spacing according to whatever speed you're doing. When I've used 2 or 3 bars, the spacing is too great and people are always cutting in front of me so I keep it at 1 most of the time.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
In my 2020 there are only three settings I think. I agree the closest is too close (I don't want to get hit in the back by a slightly distracted driver/car with bad brakes), but it's useful for tailgating

Joking aside, no, it's not as close as described in the tailgating posts here. It is close enough for people here to get the hint and do and move over to the slower lane however. I only ever use cruise control on those stretches that have "average speed" camera traps though.

If you think getting tailgated in a car sucks, imagine being on a bike. :-/
Actually, there are 4 distance settings, unless a MT model is different that the A10.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
Kinda proves the old saw;
"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns."
Also let's not forget that the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun (that's been trained!)

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
More than 1/3rd of US States allow concealed carry of firearms without a permit. Our violent crime rates are trending down.
ironically the areas with the highest "gun" and violent crime rates are areas with the strictest gun laws.

What works here is freely letting people carry, and convict those who commit crimes with them. Sadly that last part does not always happen.
So true. In my state we don't have many criminal firearm acts but it's NOT because of our strict gun laws, rather it's our society in general (helps to be far away from California). But we do have more than a million registered guns in the state (I wonder how many unregistered illegally owned guns are out here by the criminal element). Our law-abiding gun owners are just that; we aren't allowed to have them outside our homes unless going directly to the gun range, gun dealer or police station to register/transfer, etc. I believe that if our state became a shall issue state our violent crime and general crime rates would decrease noticeably (unless the criminal has a death wish or is crazed by being strung out on drugs).

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
Ten pages, and still counting, of hatred towards tailgaters. Fair enough.
But how about those morons that hog the fast lane, or do 15 mph below the speed limit on a wavy two-lane mountain road where overtaking is impossible? Does anyone hate them as well?

Lane discipline is quite good around here, but we do have the occasional moron who will take ages to overtake at 61 mph a lorry that's doing 60. Not only do I tailgate these stupid SOBs, but I also flash and honk at them like mad until they move over. :curse:
On a 2 lane road where passing isn't allowed, if I'm doing the speed limit but cars are coming up fast and looks like it'll be a "train" behind me, I'll pull over and let them pass then continue on my way.

Sponsored

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
I've used the "1 bar" setting a lot and doing 60 on the freeway the distance is sufficient; of course as you slow down, the distance gets shorter. It obviously adjusts the spacing according to whatever speed you're doing. When I've used 2 or 3 bars, the spacing is too great and people are always cutting in front of me so I keep it at 1 most of the time.
I hear ya. That can be frustrating, but most of the time I just let it happen. However, even 1 bar distance doesn't stop some idiots from squeezing in. And, in the end, I'd prefer to be further from those people.

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Actually, there are 4 distance settings, unless a MT model is different that the A10.
My MT has 4. Honestly, I do have to admit that ACC is considerably more useful with an AT. It sucks when it slows you down to the point that you need to downshift. Pushing the clutch disengages ACC, so after each shift, you need to hit the Resume button, just as if you've hit the brake with an AT. Since it brakes for you, there's often no need to touch the brake. When I had my Fusion Hybrid, I could set ACC and not touch a pedal for almost my entire commute. Not so with the MT.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
True, they arrive in time to identify the victims and try to figure out who did it and how to apprehend them. Don't depend on them to "save your life" by calling 911. They won't get there before the imminent threat takes you and your family out.
Remember the old saying "better be judged by 12 then carried out by 6."

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
My daily driver is a 4Runner TRD Pro. It's lifted with a full off the road suspension and tires. When I have a tailgater, all I do is gently back off throttle. The tire drag immediately results in it slowing down. As I see them back off, again gently apply throttle. Two or three times doing this and they figure it out. Only time I had an issue is from an idiot behind waiting for a red light. Of course on there cell phone, he thought light turned green and while looking at his phone drove into the back of the 4Runner. Frame sits directly behind the cover.......honda civic front end now looks like a mini with just a mark on my cover. Police cited him as well.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
When you/me are in the right hand lane of a 4 lane and they are overtaking then refuse to pass I get pissed. If this is wrong so be it. I should not have to move to the left lane so they can pass in the right.

When I'm in the left lane I absolutely move over. If I'm passing and see that you will catch me before I complete my pass I will speed up just to get out of your way faster. When safe to do so.

On 2 lanes with no traffic they catch me ride me ass. I wait for a passing zone and slow down and position myself in the right side of the lane. Mostly they will not pass. I sometimes have to come to a full stop to get rid of them.
That is not tailgating, son, that is drafting.
Sponsored