Sponsored

When do shocks/struts need to be upgraded? (2020 PP1)

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
^ to what Shogun is saying

The car needs better/stronger dampers and swaybars before it even needs springs.

the DR springs need to be paired with better shocks (which I have). Even then, the DRs are very 'busy' on the street, that's definitely true. It was a bit of a slap in the face at first, but I'm used to it now.

On track they're a delight.

You'll need to read up on camber if you're serious about track use. 1 degree is less than stock and detrimental to a sports car.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MinDseTz

MinDseTz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
You'll need to read up on camber if you're serious about track use. 1 degree is less than stock and detrimental to a sports car.
Sorry when I said running 1 degree I meant extra. But is the factory alignment not 0.25-1.75 (1.0+/-.75)?

edit* But regardless my plan was to get the GT350R alignment or maybe a little more (.25-5.)

Last edited:

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
What's the issue with cooling? I've heard the transmission gets hot, is that what you're talking about?
Not necessarily that they are issues, but if you drive hard then you will overwhelm the OEM cooling system. Only real solid part is the radiator (cylinder temps) but oil, trans and diff will definitely overheat if not addressed. But again depends on your pace, you can track all day and be fine or you can overheat everything within a few laps.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
Sorry when I said running 1 degree I meant extra. But is the factory alignment not 0.25-1.75 (1.0+/-.75)?

edit* But regardless my plan was to get the GT350R alignment or maybe a little more (.25-5.)
Anything less than -2.5 deg up front is wasting your time and money (in tires) on the track, unless it's a very infrequent thing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MinDseTz

MinDseTz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Anything less than -2.5 deg up front is wasting your time and money (in tires) on the track, unless it's a very infrequent thing.
Is it not better to create the camber through the top of the strut vs. the lower geometry.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Confirmation on what the above guys are saying, I learned a lot from them, unfortunately I had to learn the hard way that you should definitely do dampers at the same time as the springs. I did springs only on my 2018 PP1 and within a month tore the whole effing thing apart again to add dampers.

Now having said that, the handling gains were great and I drove it like that for quite a while. Then I test drove a Mach 1 in normal mode and realized just how stiff my car had become. So if it's a daily driver be prepared for it to handle like the entire body will follow every wave and dip in the road.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
Then I test drove a Mach 1 in normal mode and realized just how stiff my car had become.
It's more of a reflection of how soft the PP2/Mach 1/GT350/GT500 actually are than the car being actually stiff.

450/1600 springs is stiff but remarkably manageable :)
Sponsored