Sponsored

Replacing struts and caliper won't go over the rotor

7YearAscent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Title says it all. I have new struts/springs installed, but I can't get the caliper back over the rotor. Same caliper and rotor as when disassembled. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Title says it all. I have new struts/springs installed, but I can't get the caliper back over the rotor. Same caliper and rotor as when disassembled. Any thoughts? Thanks!
You may need a pad spreader to push them back in a bit. Can probably do enough by hand to get it to slide over the rotor though. I had that happen last weekend when putting calipers back on.

OP
OP

7YearAscent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I tried by hand and just picked up a pad spreader, but I still can't get it over the rotor...

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
It hasn’t been spread far enough, then. If it’s the rear, you have to turn as you push it in. If it’s the front, you have to push evenly because pushing one piston in will push the others out.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Just spread the front pads.

The rear pistons need to be /rotated/ to get them to retract. You can use some needle nose pliers to rotate them in a pinch (no pun intended), just lube the dust boots on the rear pistons with some WD40 before you rotate them or they may tear.

With the stock pads, the wedge shaped recesses on the rear piston need to be aligned right to slip over the pins on the pad backs, so rotate them in increments on 180 degrees.

Once you DO get things back together, pump the brakes a few times before you move the car or your first attempt at stopping could be a little pucker inducing.