Sponsored

Replacing Stock Pzeros... Have Questions

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Hello. I have a '17 GT PP with around 18k miles. This is my DD with the stock Pirelli Pzero 255/40R19's on the front and 275/40R19's on the rear on the stock PP wheels which I believe are 19x9.0 on the front and 19x9.5 on the rear. I drive the car throughout the winter on square 245/45R19 Michelin X-Ice Xi3's on dedicated PP replica 19x8.5 wheels. The stock Pzeros probably have about 12K on them, and they are down to a little below 3/32" of tread, so I think it is time I start looking to replace them. Being my first performance car, I have some questions. I will give some info about my driving style and preferences, so hopefully you experts will be able to point me in the right direction of what I should look into for my next tire purchase :thumbsup:.

- I will be running these tires from roughly April to November in the northeast. I drive in all weather conditions. Have not had any weather related problems with the Pzeros.
- My car is stock height but I may drop it a bit but nothing excessive, just enough to get rid of the gap.
- I tend to baby my vehicles, I hit redline once just to see the gauges light up red, I have not gone WOT.
- I don't track the car, I don't push any real G's during turns.
- I DO like to do launches from lights, but nothing aggressive, just a rev to 1500-2000RPM or so and dump the clutch to get some nice wheel spin and go.
- I DO like to have some fun when no ones around, such as giving it some gas and going into turns sideways, ala a baby drift.
- I get nasty wheel hop and am told it's because of the Pzeros (I did not notice any hop with the winter tires).
- I don't think I have a need for a staggered setup, and honestly can't tell that it looks much different from a square setup.
- I don't really like tire bulge or necessarily a lot of meat on the wheel.
- If I go square, do I need match wheel sizes front and back?
- If I go square, what tire sizes should I be looking at?
- If I go square, to be able to rotate the tires, do I need to buy a set of front/rear wheels so all four are the same specs or will the 19x9.5's fit up front (is that frowned upon having larger wheels up front?)?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Depends on your budget. Nothing beats Michelin PS4S on the street right now. But they are quite expensive.
Cheaper alternatives Indy 500s and Nitto NT555 G2s. All 3 mentioned are supposedly far superior than PZeros. Esp in the treadwear department.

Running your rears up front you'd need spacer (can't remember what size i think 5mm?) or they will rub. Same for me was thinking of getting a set of 9.5 PP rear rims up front to rotate them. Your tires last twice as long.

Any no WOT?! What! That is crazy talk. Its what these cars were designed for!

I too live up north (North of Toronto) and PZeros in anything below 40Deg Turns these things into hockey pucks. They get loud on hwys and have little to no traction.

OP
OP

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Depends on your budget. Nothing beats Michelin PS4S on the street right now. But they are quite expensive.
Cheaper alternatives Indy 500s and Nitto NT555 G2s. All 3 mentioned are supposedly far superior than PZeros. Esp in the treadwear department.

Running your rears up front you'd need spacer (can't remember what size i think 5mm?) or they will rub. Same for me was thinking of getting a set of 9.5 PP rear rims up front to rotate them. Your tires last twice as long.

Any no WOT?! What! That is crazy talk. Its what these cars were designed for!

I too live up north (North of Toronto) and PZeros in anything below 40Deg Turns these things into hockey pucks. They get loud on hwys and have little to no traction.
Yeah I hear a lot of people run those. I've also heard Continental DWS. Used to run those on my Focus and I had no complaints. Probably wouldn't get a summer performance tire, not sure if either of those are but I don't have a need for it, if those cost extra.

Yeah no WOT yet lol. I'm always afraid of things breaking, I have no idea where that comes from. I mean I am still under warranty so now's the time realistically.

I actually love the Pzeros in cooler weather (minus the risk of cracking). I am a big fan of getting sideways (when I decide and not as a surprise) and they were a lot of fun last fall before I got my winter tires.

You were going to get a pair of 9.5 wheels to use up front? Wouldn't it be better to get another set of 9 wheels to use in the rear, so you don't need the spacer?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Going square on staggered wheels is almost pointless since you wont rotate them. The tires would fit. Square, wide front tires are absolutely a good thing on our cars.

If you guy a pair of 9.5 rear wheels, they’ll need a small 5mm spacer for them to fit on the front axle, but it works and others have done that.

Sponsored

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah no WOT yet lol. I'm always afraid of things breaking, I have no idea where that comes from. I mean I am still under warranty so now's the time realistically.

I actually love the Pzeros in cooler weather (minus the risk of cracking). I am a big fan of getting sideways (when I decide and not as a surprise) and they were a lot of fun last fall before I got my winter tires.

You were going to get a pair of 9.5 wheels to use up front? Wouldn't it be better to get another set of 9 wheels to use in the rear, so you don't need the spacer?
A 5mm spacer isn't a big deal. I'd rather have the extra .5" to run 275s squared than 255s. When my Pzeros wear out (Just bought new rears last month) I'll shop around for 9.5" PP rims up front.

Your not looking for perf summer tires? There is tons of UHP All-seasons to choose from. Again Michelin AS3+ seems to be the leader in that category.

Wouldn't be worried about cracking. I store my Mustang in a unheated garage its been three winters now the fronts look almost new.

It's when you start adding more power things will typically break. Bone stock these cars can take it! Watching youtubers with superchargers (thatdudeinblue) hes got over 100k miles and nothing has gone wrong yet!

OP
OP

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
So it sounds like if I prefer being able to rotate tires more than the additional grip and different look of the staggered setup, then at a minimum I would need to buy a 5mm spacer if I want to keep the same wheels to be able to rotate properly. Or I could buy two new 19x9 wheels and not worry about a spacer.

Or I could keep the staggered set up, and just pick a tire that would give me more mileage than the Pzeros. What are people getting out of different tires? Sounds like Pzeros only last about 10-15k max. If other tires get 30-40k, I'd probably just keep the staggered setup.

I wonder how much additional mileage I'd get from rotating a square setup than a staggered setup with the same tire?

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Really depends on your driving habits and the vehicle. I spun my rears to heat them up occasionally on the street and my Pzero rears lasted 9k miles. My fronts still have 8/32 left!

Whatever a tire is rated for cut it in half and thats your treadlife for staggered. If you plan on keeping the car or drive a lot id consider squared stance as it'll 100% save you money in the long run.
Sponsored