Replaced center speaker...now my bass from the doors is better?

OP
OP
SVT-DADDY

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Can I ask a few questions?

I have a Ecoboost Premium and I installed a JL SteathBox which made a huge improvement. The sub has a JL amp, but I didn7t touch any of the other speakers.

If I install this Polk, no need for an amp?
Just use the bass blocker and it's plug and play?

Also, this speaker will work on a 2018 too?
It's plug and play, doesn't use much power so no need for an amp. I am not up to speed on the 18's yet but I am going to guess it will fit.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Can someone answer with certainty whether the factory center speaker is coax or not? Some conflicting info about that in this thread, and can't findthe answer anywhere. I am reluctant to add a coax center speaker in place of a non-coax. TIA.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Can someone answer with certainty whether the factory center speaker is coax or not? Some conflicting info about that in this thread, and can't findthe answer anywhere. I am reluctant to add a coax center speaker in place of a non-coax. TIA.
It is obviously not a coax and I'm with you, I would not use a coax as I am sensitive to too much tweeter (power) sometimes.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
Did mine this past weekend. Interestingly enough it is 8ohm/12watts.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is obviously not a coax and I'm with you, I would not use a coax as I am sensitive to too much tweeter (power) sometimes.
Thought so from the looks of it, but someone mentioned it was so wanted to be sure. I'm surprised so many have said it sounds much better, as adding a coax where it wasn't intended can cause harshness, etc. I'm thinking maybe just upgrade the pillar tweeters first to see if that improves treble quality.

Last edited:

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Thought so from the looks of it, but someone mentioned it was so wanted to be sure. I'm surprised so many have said it sounds much better, as adding a coax where it wasn't intended can cause harshness, etc. I'm thinking maybe just upgrade the pillar tweeters first to see if that improves treble quality.
Choose wisely with the pillar tweeters, depending on the type, they can drill a hole in your brain with the harshness. Metal domes will kill you.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
OP
OP
SVT-DADDY

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Is there an original thread about these speakers somewhere?
I think it was part of a budget upgrade thread. [MENTION=22912]Chef jpd[/MENTION] was the one who recommended them to me.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase

SWallace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT Vert
I had replaced all of my other speakers first and was still really unhappy. I just did the center a few weeks ago and like others have said, it was the single biggest improvement (next to adding a sub). I unsoldered the factory harness and used it with the capacitor from the Polk speaker.

The factory amp still gets muddy above 20 but I'll deal with that later.

Last edited:

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
I had replaced all of my other speakers first and was still really unhappy. I just did the center a few weeks ago and like others have said, it was the single biggest improvement (next to adding a sub). I unsoldered the factory harness and used it with the capacitor from the Polk speaker.

The factory amp still gets muddy above 20 but I'll deal with that later.

If anyone wants my spare I'll sell it, like the other guy $25 to the lower 48. PM me.
You guys seriously turn it up past 20?!?

Canoman

Lurker (mostly)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP 400A
Vehicle Showcase

:cheers:

I agree... Mine rarely goes past 10, but never to 20. It's all stock, though for the moment, so with impedance changes and different sensitivities, you might have to turn it up higher. :shrug:

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Pretty much every day. Sounds fine to me - not distorted. Just wish it went a bit louder at times, and had better quality highs.

I dare you to listen to Collective Soul "Heavy", or Dinosaur Jr, "Out There", or Awolnation "Here Come The Runts" without going over 20. Hell, I often max out at 30 for some older stuff that wasn't recorded as loud - The Cars 'Candy-O" for example.