Sponsored

Rendering 19MY Mach 1

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Fender lip?? Perhaps you meant wheel lip/dish as that's why I'm talking about.

Anyway as for wheels with lip/no lip, we'll just have to agree to disagree. To me it just screams FWD wheel design. Some manufacturers put a rather substantial concave shape to the spokes and that looks pretty bad ass though!

Having said that, the Bullitt will not fill the need for a retro stang, not for me atleast. The Mach 1 IS the retro mustang. The 2003-2004's certainly prove that. The engine should also be unique in the Mach 1.

The S550 mustang looks a lot like the 1971 mustangs design with it's pointy nose, the 2018's more so. That pointy nose is just begging for NACA ducts and a slight bulge in the hood ala 71 Mach 1's. I don't think the current body style lends itself to having a Shaker hood scoop.

New Cobra with a Mach 1 name? :tsk: Two completely different cars with different purposes.
Yep. We will agree to disagree. I don't think 70's style NACA ducts belong anywhere near a new Mustang. Other style ducts themselves? Maybe if their don't right. But not that style. But I can see the attraction. As a kid, I'd seen them on numerous hot cars (especially the Countach. Dream car at the time) in the 80's with a few being stock and most being aftermarket. But I thought they looked awesome. Even if the car wasn't all that, those ducts transformed the appearance into something cool. Nowadays that style just seems out of place IMHO. And it wouldn't play well with the geometric design going on in the 2018+.

And on that last point, everyone knows the Cobra level and Mach 1 have historically been more of a Cobra And lesser cobra deal. What I'm exploring is if Ford reinvented and switched things up. Perhaps giving the badges a more literal hierarchy.

Chevy has done it with the SS and z28 badges and hasn't hurt one bit.

But it's likely the GT500 lives on.

It would be great for the mustang as a platform to wholeheartedly modernize. Then Ford can add packages that oldify the car to a. Retain extent for those who want that. The reason I think the Bullit is the car for it is the name evokes an era and certain styling cues down to the color of the car.

The Mach 1 when it was new was futuristic for its time. Even the 70's slab serif typeface was the "new computer style" font of the day. In 2003, Ford brought the name out of retirement and gave it the old badge typeface and some old style wheels as well as a retro stripe package and the shaker hood. The interior rounded out the retro with the seats and shift knob.

This made sense for the time since the retro fad was just about to kick in gear.
But if the Mach 1 returns to its roots, it will be more of a car for today.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Knight721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT premium, 1970 Mustang Mach1
Here is my mach 1 project car. A 2020 GT with some goodies.
20200828_135502_HDR.jpg
20210116_160707.jpg

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
Here is my mach 1 project car. A 2020 GT with some goodies.
20200828_135502_HDR.jpg
20210116_160707.jpg
I like what you’re doing. You have a clear vision and direction that you are going for. I’m doing the same with my car making a P-51D Tribute “Edition” as if Ford had done so. Looking forward to seeing what you do next and how she will look when finished, especially compared to the 2021 Mach 1 .

Knight721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Vehicle(s)
I like what you’re doing. You have a clear vision and direction that you are going for. I’m doing the same with my car making a P-51D Tribute “Edition” as if Ford had done so. Looking forward to seeing what you do next and how she will look when finished, especially compared to the 2021 Mach 1 .
Thank you, I love the P51-D mustang tribute. I have seen very few of them at the cars at coffee when I was stationed in San Diego.
I contacted CDC to see when are they putting out the new Shaker for the S-550, I was told that i should be in spring. I can't wait.

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Thank you, I love the P51-D mustang tribute. I have seen very few of them at the cars at coffee when I was stationed in San Diego.
I contacted CDC to see when are they putting out the new Shaker for the S-550, I was told that i should be in spring. I can't wait.
Will you be doing any interior work? Here’s an image of mine which is about 50% complete. Still have much more to do.

B56C8121-DFB1-4072-9E72-D15DA5CA22BE.jpeg

Sponsored

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Will you be doing any interior work? Here’s an image of mine which is about 50% complete. Still have much more to do.

B56C8121-DFB1-4072-9E72-D15DA5CA22BE.jpeg

Knight721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Vehicle(s)
That is a sweet color. I am debating to have the stitching place put a either a red or blue one inch stripe across the seats, I am hesitant since my 70 mach 1 came with a grey 2 inch stripe that you can hardly differentiate from the seat. I did get a mach 1 badge for the dash from SVT performance. I am waiting on it. once I get it I will post some pictures.

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
That is a sweet color. I am debating to have the stitching place put a either a red or blue one inch stripe across the seats, I am hesitant since my 70 mach 1 came with a grey 2 inch stripe that you can hardly differentiate from the seat. I did get a mach 1 badge for the dash from SVT performance. I am waiting on it. once I get it I will post some pictures.
Nice! I have work to do on my interior. Brown leather seating with P-51D embossed. Red accents (paddle shifters, E-brake handle, door pulls, hood pull) and o.d. Green on the dash and near the door handles. Custom shift knob , upgraded sound system and head unit. Then slight power upgrades like headers, CAI, exhaust, tune and some suspension no brake upgrades as well.