Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
What wheels?
What tires?
etc

The stock sport tires are expensive. I'd like to swap things out for something less expensive that I can destroy for fun without hurting my bank account as much as I would quickly destroying the stock tires/wheels.

I'm a newb: I've done a few burnouts and a few rainy-day non-drifty just-swing-it-anyhow donuts and fish tails in a large open spce, but still no dry donuts or drifting.

I mean, I've seen a few videos: I know the turning radius of the GT350 isn't great for ideal drifting, but I want to work within the GT350's limitations.

Modifying the car's turning radius is out of the question: I'm aiming for simple DIY bolt on/off mods with nothing but my hands, a single jack, and a wrench, and want to keep my warranty intact.

My newb self can name some tire brands: good year, continental, and toyo (it's like knowing tony hawk if you're not a skateboarder I suppose?).

So, what do you recommend!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
trusktr

trusktr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I want to drift into reverse, stay reverse for a while, then j-turn out. I can't find any videos of it though. I can only find people starting in reverse then j turning out of it. Is there a name for it? drift-to-reverse-to-jturn?

OP
OP
trusktr

trusktr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Oooh, 360 drifts and sweeps in a GT350:

Still looking for a 180 to reverse to stay in it for a while to j turn back to normal, whatever that may be called. :D

Sponsored

Medusa5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
I wouldnt think it has enough power to drift. GT500 would do it with ease.
I mean technically speaking any RWD car is capable of drifting with no or few modifications. That’s why a lot of people start with a small affordable 4 cylinder or v6 such as the 240sx or 350z which has way less power. Really just depends on your driving ability and knowing the powerband of the car to drift well. I don’t know if I have a bone in my body that would let me drift a GT500 lol

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Oooh, 360 drifts and sweeps in a GT350:

Still looking for a 180 to reverse to stay in it for a while to j turn back to normal, whatever that may be called. :D
When i was 17, i'd do that in my 72 Camaro daily on a two land road. Dry road. Not some rainy parking lot. I'm talking a tight two lane road with no gutters or sidewalks.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Somebody commented that the SEMA drifting video reminds him of kids in the high school parking lot. Great description IMHO, but to each his own. Wanna have a contest to see who is best at sliding down a railing on a skateboard, have at it. Kudos to the winner for being dedicated enough to be the best at it.

However, when it comes to drifting, there is very practical aspect worth considering--drifting is arguably one of the best car control skills imaginable. To drift, you have to induce oversteer and then control it precisely. For most drivers, understeer is easy to sense and easy to correct, at least compared to oversteer. With oversteer the driver has to detect it early and countersteer quickly, without overreacting. They also have to know precisely when to straighten the wheels back up (or toward the intended direction of travel) so they don’t induce counterspin. Drifting in a controlled environment provides an opportunity to master all of that.

Drift training is common in Europe, both for sport and car control in general. Just like you can rent a car for a track day, you can get a rental for drift training as well.

https://www.skylimitevents.com/sect...5d6ae4e6/skylimit-drift-day-eigen-wagen-.html

Austria is a hotspot (cold spot?) for winter drift training, and a lot of clubs set things up there for the off season:

(Check out page 22) https://www.yumpu.com/de/document/read/63187491/pistenclub-magazin-april-2020

https://www.pitztal.com/en/winter/activities/driving-experience-on-snow

So, for those who can afford the tires or have a nice wet surface and a safe environment, I say drift away. In the end, you’ll be able to control that heavy beast of a GT350 even better than most of us fool ourselves into thinking we can.
Sponsored