honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Damn, lots of haterz on this one. Makes me glad I haven’t posted the shenanigans I participate in when not on the race track (still on track land - not street). You should see what happens when 40 instructors get together at the local karting track for the end of year party...

Anyways - for some practical advice, a smaller tire would help keep the RPMs up. That’s decent advice. But I’d probably go with something in the 275 range. Also don’t forget to pull the dyno fuse under the air box to disable all traction control. An angle kit for steering is also probably a good idea.

Bugz66rpg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
68 mustang, 2016 gt350
If your a noob on drifting then you'll have to learn alot. Suspension\ alignment setups, lsd, tires etc. Then seat time on basic car control. So for a beginner, DO NOT TRY TO DRIFT THE GT350!! Get a RWD beater , learn on that. it takes years to get good. Dont be dumb and think this is initial D, real life will smack you in the face hard

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
As others have said you've chosen a difficult and expensive beginner car here. The cost of tires alone would probably be offset by starting with a cheaper platform to learn the basics on. You could get an NA 240 or an old C5 vette to start learning on. The GT350 is designed to stick and stick well, that's great for track days, but without a ton of power it's going to be tricky to break traction as needed as you're learning to drift. I've also not been impressed with the GT350's self-steering characteristics in oversteer which means that you have to manually input a lot of counter-steering on your own. I actually always drive my car with the steering resistance set to normal when i'm driving hard as I've found the false feedback from the "sport" setting actually fights me as I'm trying to counter steer in a very "false" feeling way.

Also I don't think anyone's ever done that forward entry drift to reverse to reverse J-turn in a GT350 as getting it wrong would do unspeakable things to the TR3160.

Sponsored

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
....I've also not been impressed with the GT350's self-steering characteristics in oversteer which means that you have to manually input a lot of counter-steering on your own. I actually always drive my car with the steering resistance set to normal when i'm driving hard as I've found the false feedback from the "sport" setting actually fights me as I'm trying to counter steer in a very "false" feeling way.
I feel the same way about the steering resistance when counter-steering. And so does this guy:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...g-with-great-feel-is-the-last-thing-you-want/

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
So back in the day Hankook campaigned a Porsche 964 I think it was in Formula D and the running joke was "that's going to be expensive when it crashes". Because all drift cars crash into stuff if you go at it long enough. Or do parking lot events stay away from walls and you can avoid that, but cone dodging drifting is not nearly as fun as on a track.

GT350 is not bad for drifting per se, it has a long wheel base (easier to learn in) and plenty of power so you're fine there. The real limitation (as long as you can afford big tires) is steering angle. You can add spacers to the tie rod inners to net about 3-4* extra steering angle, but that's it. Beyond that you need modified steering knuckles.

As for wheels, get whatever is cheap in 19x10 front (if you might increase steering angle one day) and 19x10 or 19x11 rear and run a decent 200TW tire in ~275 as honeybadger suggested. You need a decent amount of tire to catch a car this heavy. Nexen Sur4g do well drifting and usually wear down to nearly the chords before chunking.

Leave steering in "comfort" and disconnect the "dyno plug" (4 wire plug) on the drifers fender well. You'll get an advancetrac warning but the steering will return from lock the best with this unplugged.

And nobody does a drift into reverse because its not nearly as fun as just drifting and its a great way to grenade your transmission.
Sponsored

Last edited: