Sponsored

Received my certificate or origin, now what?

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
Hey guys I just received this from my dealer on the purchase of my 19’. Excuse my ignorance but what is this document and what do I do with it? Thank you
Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Typically it’s used to get your tags and shows since it’s new, a state inspection is not required

orangegrower

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - 2019 Aston Martin Vantage - 2019 Ranger Lariat
DC Shelby is correct. It is basically the title from the manufacturer. Usually if you purchase out of state the selling dealer sends it to you so you can register in your home state.

TJ55

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang, 2.3 L , 6 speed base model
DC Shelby is correct. It is basically the title from the manufacturer. Usually if you purchase out of state the selling dealer sends it to you so you can register in your home state.
Cert of origin is not a title, What you do next varies by State. Some states hove county offices to convert to State title.
That in general is want you need to do, is get a state title.
For example in OH you go to you Title clerk of courts with the Cert of title, bill of sale and you will fill out application state title for how you want the car titled( could be individual, or man and wife) , write a check for the title fees and the State sales tax and then you will get a State title. Then you can take the State title to the BMV and get your plates so you can drive legal.

Sponsored

OP
OP
dom418

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
Yes it was purchased out of state. So it sounds like I take this to the dmv to get the car registered and titled? Does the dmv keep the certificate?

mqu02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue GT350
Yes it was purchased out of state. So it sounds like I take this to the dmv to get the car registered and titled? Does the dmv keep the certificate?
My DMV kept my certificate, but I took a high quality picture of it to keep for my records figuring they might. I asked if I could keep it, but they said they had to.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
My DMV kept my certificate, but I took a high quality picture of it to keep for my records figuring they might. I asked if I could keep it, but they said they had to.
I didn't even know it was a thing. It doesn't see the light of day when you buy your car locally/in state. When I received it from the selling dealer, I went to fedex and grabbed a couple high quality copies of it to keep with my original paperwork as I found out from reading once you bring in the necessary paperwork, they will keep the COO.

TJ55

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang, 2.3 L , 6 speed base model
I said it is basically a title. I did not say it was a title.
Yes you will have to surrender the Certificate to the DMV. Should make appilcation 15 day of sale.( if not usually charge you a small late application fee, no big deal). Looks like AZ DMV has several local offices for you to do the application for title.
see link.https://azdot.gov/motor-vehicles/mvd-hours-and-locations

Have some experience with this as I used to do work for dealer 30 years ago and processed many MSO for state title.
I would call local office and ask precisely what documents you need to present. The MSO should be signed off by selling dealer. If not you may need a power of attorney signed by selling dealer to submit with your mso.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So the COO is not the “title”? Can one of you post a pic of the COO?

I’ve never seen one - even after buying numerous cars brand new... maybe it’s because in NJ all we get after buying a new car with cash or after the loan has been paid off is the Title.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
That’s really neat!

So this may be a dumb question - but does one only get to see that COO if their Dealer allows them to before it gets to the Title stage?

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
I have only received the COO when buying a new car out of state. In state, I never see them nor does the dealer ever share that information.

mqu02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue GT350
That’s really neat!

So this may be a dumb question - but does one only get to see that COO if their Dealer allows them to before it gets to the Title stage?
I don't know whether you just get one on an out of state purchased vehicle, or on in state purchased vehicles as well. I bought mine out of state too, and was given one. It's been a couple years since I bought my last new vehicle, and I didn't remember getting one with it, but it wasn't as special as a Shelby so I might not have paid much attention and just considered it part of the normal paperwork. Also, if it makes a difference, in our state we title our vehicles at the local level (vs. the state level), and they generate the title we are given.
Sponsored