Sponsored

Recaro vs Standard Seats

texag70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT Prem
I sat in both. The Recaro and is a very comfortable and snug seat but so is the base seat. The difference in my selection was the base seats are less expensive, fully powered and cooled/heated. I really believe that most who buy the Recaro's are really doing it more for a label than actual comfort and value. But we're all free to make our own choices for whatever reasons. Having either seat in a 15 Pony makes us all a winner.
Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I sat in both. The Recaro and is a very comfortable and snug seat but so is the base seat. The difference in my selection was the base seats are less expensive, fully powered and cooled/heated. I really believe that most who buy the Recaro's are really doing it more for a label than actual comfort and value. But we're all free to make our own choices for whatever reasons. Having either seat in a 15 Pony makes us all a winner.
You had a solid post until you included this.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
I sat in a Gt yesterday with standard seats, very comfortable and great for my size (6'6" 280lbs). Any idea how the recaros are for bigger folks?
I'm gonna order a car soon and want to make a seat decision.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Recaros are probably going to be a very tight fit for you, if not just outright too narrow. I'm 6'1" and 200lbs and they are very snug, bordering on too tight, across the shoulders.

I had expected them to be the same as er Recaros in the S197, but they are not. They are narrower in the seat and back.

ugotda7

Threads
Reaction score
6'2", 250 - for comparison the cloth Recaros in my 2012 Boss 302 were pretty snug but OK; the leather Recaros in my 13 GT500 were a little looser and I'd say just about right; I repeatedly sat in Recaros in a 2015 GT and they were ridiculously tight to the point that I couldn't tolerate them even though I tried to convince myself to like them. I told the salesman that I felt like I had been taking kidney punches after taking a test drive in them. If you're a bigger guy I highly recommend sitting in these before committing to a car with them.....it would really suck to find out after the fact that they didn't work for you.

Sponsored

steelertown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
I like the power plus heat/ cooled PLUS memory! You get recaro, you get a dinosaur.

Heated seats:
Don't need them, when I drive I wear pants.
Cooled seats: My last car I used the A/c a maximum of 10 times over 6 years of ownership, no way I would touch this ever.
Power seats: can't speak for everyone but I assume this to be true for most, I am the only one driving my car. The rare chance I take my car to the dealer for service I don't see the big deal pulling a lever and moving it up or back an inch once a year. :shrug:

I fail to see someone missing out on ANYTHING, electing to go with the "Dinosaur Recaros". I personally wouldn't even use those options if they came standard. I am thankful we have a choice to customize to our individual liking though.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
This picture says it all. Redline Recaro's ......cannot wait to get my Ingot GT PP with this option.
image.jpg

blitzburgh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M2C
I don't get how you guys that are 240 260 etc are saying you like recaros. I'm about 185 and they feel tight too me.

Phlyguy

International SAR Pilot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT with Recaro Seats
Yessir! They're a manually adjustable shell.

So you lose the climate control and memory functions and gain a better overall shell for performance driving. I'll take the "dinosaur" era seats if that's the case. I've been in the stock seats for two separate test drives, and at this point I'm more than willing to sacrifice some amenities that I'll seldom use for something that's more cosseting and less squishy.

I've had memory seats in my car for the past seven years. I've used the function maybe a handful of times. Heated seats? I'm in Florida so they're hardly a requirement. Cooled seats? Might be nice for the few minutes it takes for the A/C to kick in, but I found them hardly required during my drive.
if you think of a seat as just a place to rest your arse while you drive, your mindset needs adjustment. if you think of a seat as an integral part of a cockpit that could help reduce injury or perhaps save your life in an accident then you're attitude towards driving is right! We do not think of the impact (no pun intended) that a mere seat coupled with restraint system has on our very lives but please remember that the standards for safety set forth by NHTSA and other Federal regulators are minimum standards. At ever increasing highway speeds, a vast majority of these standards have not been updated in years. Just like the saying "...your mileage may vary..." such is the case for what kind of support you want for your caboose! For me, I prefer a bit more overall support and safety over memory...but I'm a professional pilot by trade and am an eternal pessimist for all things that could go wrong! :clap2:

Sponsored

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
The standard seats hold you in place great. I'm 6'4" 195lbs. And those seats keep me in place even when the pp tires cut loose.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
This picture says it all. Redline Recaro's ......cannot wait to get my Ingot GT PP with this option.
Man I have the leather recaros, but after seeing urs I really wish I would have picked the redline option.Awesome and would have looked great on my race red pp.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
I'm 6'3 and about 230 lbs with a broad shoulder build and the Recaro's are just plain uncomfortable. They look great, and for a smaller build I'm sure are a great option, but not for me.

ShawnO

2015 Silver PP GT 400A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Silver PP GT 400A
I don't get how you guys that are 240 260 etc are saying you like recaros. I'm about 185 and they feel tight too me.
This above... I got my car yesterday with Recaros. I am 5'10 and 150. They fit me almost snug and THEY are awesome - and I am a critic. My 250 lb friend got in and hated them. Its all about your size. For me, they are one of my favorite things abiut the car. Most vehicles are sized for larger peeps and I slide around. I Love the Recaros.
Sponsored