Rear Wheel Widening.

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
I painted the barrels myself. Sanded with 220 then 400 then red scotchbrite, and then 2 coats primer, 3 coats VHT black high temp wheel paint, 2 coats clear. Definitely not as deep black as the factory powder coated sections, but turned out okay. No pix of them. Wheels are now 10.5 with Nitto 555 G2 in 305/35/19 size.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Daryl333

Daryl333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I painted the barrels myself. Sanded with 220 then 400 then red scotchbrite, and then 2 coats primer, 3 coats VHT black high temp wheel paint, 2 coats clear. Definitely not as deep black as the factory powder coated sections, but turned out okay. No pix of them. Wheels are now 10.5 with Nitto 555 G2 in 305/35/19 size.
Looking good man. What was the stock offset?

OP
OP
Daryl333

Daryl333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Stock California Special wheels are 42.5 offset.
So I just need to get this straight. When getting our wheels widened. Outer lip face to fender doesn't change right? Only the inner lip to suspension. Are your back wheel/tires tucked flush or poke now?
Because my 9" wide wheels have 42.5 offset which I am getting widened to 11". So they will fit the same way at the fender as yours are? Hope I'm coming across right.

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
That is correct, outer lip face to fender stays the same. They are tucked just like they were before the widening. I wanted to go as wide as I could WITHOUT any issues at all, so limited it to 10.5 just to be safe. Another member on here who did exactly what I did, said he installed some 20mm spacers on the rear and he said they poked with this exact tire and wheel combo. Thats why I didnt install them. I dont like poke myself. As for the 9 inch and the 42.5 offset and then the widening to 11, hopefully someone else can chime in about that. I know what you are getting at, but I'm not a wheel expert on offset and dont want to steer you wrong, this is not cheap to do. If you like, tomorrow eve, I can put a straightedge up against the side of the car and you can see how mine are. Mine were only 8.5 to begin with though, not 9. Not a big diff, but it is different. Let me know if you want me to take that pic. tomorrow eve.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Daryl333

Daryl333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
That is correct, outer lip face to fender stays the same. They are tucked just like they were before the widening. I wanted to go as wide as I could WITHOUT any issues at all, so limited it to 10.5 just to be safe. Another member on here who did exactly what I did, said he installed some 20mm spacers on the rear and he said they poked with this exact tire and wheel combo. Thats why I didnt install them. I dont like poke myself. As for the 9 inch and the 42.5 offset and then the widening to 11, hopefully someone else can chime in about that. I know what you are getting at, but I'm not a wheel expert on offset and dont want to steer you wrong, this is not cheap to do. If you like, tomorrow eve, I can put a straightedge up against the side of the car and you can see how mine are. Mine were only 8.5 to begin with though, not 9. Not a big diff, but it is different. Let me know if you want me to take that pic. tomorrow eve.
It would be great if you could do that pic thx. I'm not worried about fitting on the inside measurement, I'm wondering how close my wheel lip will be to the fender.I can't get a good idea of the difference in your 8.5 wide and 42.5 offset and my 9 wide and 42.5 offset. I'm being repetitious so if anyone else is following they'll get exactly what I'm talking about. I would like to use the 20mm spacers since I already purchased them and the wheels are being welded as we speak. But if I don't use them it's no big deal. I tried to use the 'will it fit' site but couldn't figure it out. I'm not that literate enough to figure it out. Lol
So I'm hoping my fellow Mustang clan can help. Thx for your time.

OP
OP
Daryl333

Daryl333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
It would be great if you could do that pic thx. I'm not worried about fitting on the inside measurement, I'm wondering how close my wheel lip will be to the fender.I can't get a good idea of the difference in your 8.5 wide and 42.5 offset and my 9 wide and 42.5 offset. I'm being repetitious so if anyone else is following they'll get exactly what I'm talking about. I would like to use the 20mm spacers since I already purchased them and the wheels are being welded as we speak. But if I don't use them it's no big deal. I tried to use the 'will it fit' site but couldn't figure it out. I'm not that literate enough to figure it out. Lol
So I'm hoping my fellow Mustang clan can help. Thx for your time.
I found it. So my offset will be 6mm wider. Are your fronts the same offset?
Screenshot_20181220-224424_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20181220-224437_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
Daryl333

Daryl333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I found it. So my offset will be 6mm wider. Are your fronts the same offset?
Screenshot_20181220-224424_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20181220-224437_Chrome.jpg
I just found an old post from 2015 that shows a pic of a guy running 25MM spacers all around. With the exact rims I am running. I am going to be running 20M spacers. So I am set that way. And thx to you guys on this thread I know my widened wheels in back will fit. So I am set, will send pics when finished in the spring. Lol
Screenshot_20181220-231941_Chrome.jpg

MyStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I am sold on having my OEM wheels widened thanks for sharing the Info. Just a thought would the Steeda Rear Subframe Alignment Kit help with the side to side difference tire poke?
306332-2e5f8f22bc17cbbf53745acf08869cba.jpg

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
I just found an old post from 2015 that shows a pic of a guy running 25MM spacers all around. With the exact rims I am running. I am going to be running 20M spacers. So I am set that way. And thx to you guys on this thread I know my widened wheels in back will fit. So I am set, will send pics when finished in the spring. Lol
Screenshot_20181220-231941_Chrome.jpg
cant wait to see the finished product. I looked for a set of foundrys for months before I gave up and decided to get mine widened, I love those foundrys, they are one of the best Ford wheels made.

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Sorry, I meant 13" max tire section width to fill that whole wheel well up.
Yes, my 325's are 12.91" section with on 11" rims. I consider mine filled, just not to this extent!

OP
OP
Daryl333

Daryl333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I am sold on having my OEM wheels widened thanks for sharing the Info. Just a thought would the Steeda Rear Subframe Alignment Kit help with the side to side difference tire poke?
306332-2e5f8f22bc17cbbf53745acf08869cba.jpg
I talked to a guy at Steeda. He said no. I'm not mechanically inclined enough to explain, so as not to mislead but straight answer was no.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
How are liking the ride now?

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Maybe a tiny bit rougher, but not much at all, no vibes either from tires, balancing or the front 20mm spacers, tires are not very noisy, no problem. This is not a lexus, and dont expect it to be.This tire and wheel setup is way quieter than my winter tire setup I had on here waiting for the widening. I had planned on putting the winter tires on and just leaving them on for the winter, no way after I took them back off. I will only put the winter set back on if we get snow, which doesnt happen often here. About once or twice per winter. And my wife and I have 3 vehicles so may not even do that, just leave the Mustang parked if need be. The Pirelli/NItto setup rides better and way quieter. And better traction, the Toyo snow tires I had on there were only 235 50 18's so not the best traction wet or dry with 435 hp. So far so good. This was not a cheap mod, but so far glad I did it. Thanks for your help on this by the way!!!

Ohthatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Auto Lightening Blue
Vehicle Showcase
You guys killed it on the widening projects. I’m putting my GTR wheel project on hold rather than jumping to the big spend on the widening. Best case, I was going to be $2,100 into it with the machining, widening, spacers, extended studs, etc.

When new sets of fully forged 20” wheels can be had for $2,600 at 21-22 lbs and perfect offsets, I’ll go that route if I jump to 20’s.
Sponsored