Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
I have grown fond of my stock wheels but I too would like some wider tires. I am currently exploring the process of buying another set of stock wheels and having them widened to 11" and 10". I think the stock 18" wheels are the lightest wheels Ford is putting on the S550.

I think this can be done for less than $1800. My issue is figuring out the spacers I will then need to reduce the offset to workable numbers. The stock wheels are 18 x 8 +40mm. Widening a pair to 11" would give me a +78.1mm offset if my math is correct. Using a 1" spacer (which I already use) would reduce that to +52.7mm. I think that would work well on the rear of an S550. For the front I'd widen them to 10" which would give offset of +65.4mm. Again using a 1" spacer that would be reduced to a perfect +40mm offset.

Or am I all wrong???? :shrug: I'd like to have that sleeper stock look with 295/40R18 rear tires
side view.jpg
Sponsored

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
I have grown fond of my stock wheels but I too would like some wider tires. I am currently exploring the process of buying another set of stock wheels and having them widened to 11" and 10". I think the stock 18" wheels are the lightest wheels Ford is putting on the S550.

I think this can be done for less than $1800. My issue is figuring out the spacers I will then need to reduce the offset to workable numbers. The stock wheels are 18 x 8 +40mm. Widening a pair to 11" would give me a +78.1mm offset if my math is correct. Using a 1" spacer (which I already use) would reduce that to +52.7mm. I think that would work well on the rear of an S550. For the front I'd widen them to 10" which would give offset of +65.4mm. Again using a 1" spacer that would be reduced to a perfect +40mm offset.

Or am I all wrong???? :shrug: I'd like to have that sleeper stock look with 295/40R18 rear tires
I personally don't like widening wheels, but your math does check out

OP
OP
Road Dog

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
A couple pics from Weldcraft

A 69' Firebird owner wanted wider Apex wheels. They were 10" and he went to 12"
firebird1.jpeg
firebird2.jpg

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
A 69' Firebird owner wanted wider Apex wheels. They were 10" and he went to 12"
Thats pretty sick and those tires are awesome !

Sponsored

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)

JasinEdward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Roush Stage 1
Are you planning on having this done locally? I have a set of 19x8.5's that could really user some more room in back. The only place I have found that will do this is in Michigan, and the cost + downtime made new wheels a better option....

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
Are you planning on having this done locally? I have a set of 19x8.5's that could really user some more room in back. The only place I have found that will do this is in Michigan, and the cost + downtime made new wheels a better option....
I think the main company is Weldcraft that a lot of people go to and or know of.

OP
OP
Road Dog

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, Weldcraft is the best choice for us on the East Coast. As far as down time is concerned that is not an obstacle since there are so many guys who have removed the OEM wheel sets and put them up for sale. The issue is finding a set I can get my hands on without a lot of cost and with wornout tires. I don't want to but a set of new takeoffs with thousands of miles of tread. Then its just the cost of shipping and widening. It's worth it to me to have a stock outward appearance but the increased tread width. And I can just do the rear wheels first so as not to strain my budget.

Sponsored

qtrracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP Recaros; 86 GT 'Vert Pro-touring
I believe the offset will stay the same since the added width is on the inside. The backspacing will change by the amount added to the wheel.

svtpickemup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 1995 F-150 Lightning
Not to be THAT guy.....but that is not a 69 Firebird. Its a 67 or 68 - those are the years with round fender wells. You will find square fender wells on the 69s.

Either way....that car looks bad ass!!! Would love to see more of it!

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I believe the offset will stay the same since the added width is on the inside. The backspacing will change by the amount added to the wheel.
Offset is where the centerline of the wheel is. Move only the inside edge of the wheel and the centerline will move half as much. But it will move.
Sponsored