Sponsored

Rear speaker replacement - consensus ('18 GT Premium system)

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I've searched quite a bit, but haven't really found a definitive answer to this question: Does replacing the rear deck speakers with a two-way (i.e., Polk Audio DX651 or similar) actually make a difference with the stock head unit and EQ (GT premium 9 speaker system), without reprogramming the rear EQ? The front system is decent sounding, but the rear is severely lacking in sound quality. I want to replace the rear deck speakers, but not if replacing them in kind doesn't actually improve the sound.

My other question is - can I install a small powered sub in the trunk by tapping into the rear speakers for a line lead (or whatever the technical term is, I'm not a car stereo audiophile). I just want a small sub to give a bit more bass to the overall system. The bass when the system is turned up to about 13+ is decent, but below that gets lost while driving due to the engine sound.
Sponsored

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Yes, you can use your line level inputs to your rear speakers to feed into a DSP then to an amp to power a sub. I up graded my rear deck speakers and power them with a Zapco amp via the LC2i DSP. The wiring for a sub would be similar but I would power the rear speakers and the sub from a 4 channel amp with a subwoofer output on the amp. The DSP will defeat the bass roll off that the head unit and you'll actually be able to hear your rear speakers. I did 100% of this installation after dusting off some spider webs from my car stereo shop days when going to college .
DLNK-5t6oWhSZ-Dc1en4OikH0lXNOhgGTi201255i2vTaT5cFeAfmiXEKF41T_Sa_u0BYEwhpbeQsnukB=w1767-h1064-no.jpg

OP
OP
Idaho2018GTPremium

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
So, as an update to my original questions about the '18 GT Premium 9 speaker stereo system: for starters, I replaced the factory rear deck speakers with some Focal RCX-165 coaxial speakers. The new rear speakers brought more detailed highs and much clearer and defined mids to the overall system. The factory rear speakers didn't even have a whizzer cone on them and were really muddy. The Focals are also more efficient and louder than the stock speakers giving a more balanced rear fill sound (but not dominating over the front). Overall, the sound is no doubt improved and I'd say it's worth the effort simply to replace the factory rear deck speakers with quality coaxial speakers. The better quality and louder rear speakers seems to reduce the focus of sound from the center dash speaker, which is a good thing IMO. It is still producing plenty of sound, but the sound is better balanced now.

Now, to the bass of the rear deck speakers...I think the placement of the speakers are not ideal so far back in the deck. If you fade to the rear so the door subs are completely off and listen in the front footwell, there's actually deep bass produced by the rear speakers (not necessarily loud, though). However, as soon as you raise your head to normal listening elevation, the low frequencies disappear and you just hear some high frequency lows (maybe starting around 130 hertz give or take), I think it's the dynamics of the car combined with the location of the speakers in the rear deck. The factory rear speakers had the same phenomenon. The new speakers definitely have better bass in the footwell compared to the factory ones, but the overall bass increase is hardly noticeable when combined with the door subs and the front speakers when the fader is balanced.

There's generally enough bass for me when the car is off or at a stop light. However, the deep throaty exhaust tone of the 5.0 tends to cause the bass to disappear a little under normal acceleration or cruising around. Eventually, I may do a small bazooka tube in the trunk, or small underseat sub for a bit more bass boost for driving around (which is how we listen to our music most of the time, right?).

Vegas5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
Use forscan and disable bass roll off. I just did it on my 16 GT with the 9 speaker system and the bass is way better even with stock speakers.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
So figured I would put this out there for more knowledgable people to answer... I have the base 6 speaker system and just found a pair of these 6.5" speakers in the garage.... Would they work well as a rear speaker replacement? Door speaker replacement or neither?
IMG_20190105_162600.jpg
IMG_20190105_162551.jpg

Sponsored

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
So figured I would put this out there for more knowledgable people to answer... I have the base 6 speaker system and just found a pair of these 6.5" speakers in the garage.... Would they work well as a rear speaker replacement? Door speaker replacement or neither?
IMG_20190105_162600.jpg
IMG_20190105_162551.jpg
Yes those will fit. I went on kickers website and used their fitment chart. Crutchfield has adapter rings for our cars. These are 4 ohm speakers so if your car has 2 ohm speakers then they will only be 1/2 as loud. I have the 12 speaker shaker pro system so I don't know what ohm speakers you car has. If you have 2 ohm speakers then you will want to find 2 ohm speakers to replace them to have the same volume level.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Yes those will fit. I went on kickers website and used their fitment chart. Crutchfield has adapter rings for our cars. These are 4 ohm speakers so if your car has 2 ohm speakers then they will only be 1/2 as loud. I have the 12 speaker shaker pro system so I don't know what ohm speakers you car has. If you have 2 ohm speakers then you will want to find 2 ohm speakers to replace them to have the same volume level.
Ok so assuming ohm match, what would get me the most improvement? Replacing door speakers or rear? Since these include a tweeter I do not know how well that would work in the front with the additional pillar tweeters.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Just confirmed that rear deck speakers are 25w 4 ohm units on my 16 V6.

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)