Sponsored

Rear Diff Cooler Lines popped off on 3rd track lap

ssmith891

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500
I tracked my R for the first time last weekend. On my first run after 3 laps I saw smoke and pulled into pit lane. Sure enough, diff oil all over the back of the car and dripping all underneath the back. Went to a shop at the track and they dropped the rear belly pan. I was shocked to see that both in/out cooler lines had popped off! These are held on by simple c clamp keepers. Clearly these were not seated properly at the factory. The shop reseated and zip tied the clamps, cleaned up most of the mess and filled the diff with new synthetic fluid. I had no problems the rest of the weekend.

The real problem started today when I visited my local dealer (COVERT FORD) and the service manager told me they would look at it but it is probably not covered because I was "racing". I called Ford Service and lodged my complaint only to be disconnected during my conversation. I called the dealer I bought the car from (RANDALL REEDS PRESTIGE FORD - 3 hours away) and my salesman, after speaking with the service manager, told me they cant help because the supplemental information says they won't cover it because I was "racing".

It will cost me couple bills for COVERT just to look at it. My only requests of the dealer were make sure all is well, clean it up and reimburse me for the money spent at the track getting it cleaned and filled with new fluid ($150). Both dealers pushed back hard on my requests.

I am amazed that the dealers are 1) not apologizing profusely by the embarrassing QC issues and 2) bending over backward to rectify the problem I experienced.

Makes me sad that I bought an American car over many other possible foreign cars because I was proud of an American manufacturer who was willing to build such a track capable vehicle. Whats also too bad is that Ford markets and advertises this car for track use but then fails to offer an minute amount of support when it fails in such a simple manner.

The bottom line for me is that I will never purchase any Ford vehicle again (even though the 350 was amazing on the track).
Iā€™m in the Austin area also, and I cannot speak poorly enough about Covert Ford. From service, to management, theyā€™re a s**t show. And I speak from a few lengthy experiences.

Head up to Mac Haik in Georgetown. Summing up my last experience quickly, Covert failed to properly reattach my driveshaft while performing a warranty repair on my diff (which Covert they failed twice in a row). Mac Haik acknowledged this, and went the distance to get me taken care of, and back on the road.

Iā€™d rather tow my car cross state than go back to Covert Ford.

EDIT: just noticed this was revived from the dead! :headbang: