Rear brakes dragging

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
New oe pads, and rotors. They've been dragging from get go. Not enough to matter, but you can hear them when you go by a fence or wall. Just enough scuffing, to trigger my ocd

Only thing I can think MAYBE is parking brake over adjusted, but wouldn't that eventually wear enough to stop at some point?
Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
New oe pads, and rotors. They've been dragging from get go. Not enough to matter, but you can hear them when you go by a fence or wall. Just enough scuffing, to trigger my ocd

Only thing I can think MAYBE is parking brake over adjusted, but wouldn't that eventually wear enough to stop at some point?
Check your dust shields this have a tendency to crack and let dust into the pistons which eventually lead to dragging. Mine are cracked from regularly changing pads and temperatures. I ordered new rear calipers from RockAuto but didn't installed them yet. There is no other way to deal with cracked dust shields and it's annoying issue.

OP
OP
PC_GUARD

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
Check your dust shields this have a tendency to crack and let dust into the pistons which eventually lead to dragging. Mine are cracked from regularly changing pads and temperatures. I ordered new rear calipers from RockAuto but didn't installed them yet. There is no other way to deal with cracked dust shields and it's annoying issue.
I'll dig into it, thanks.

It just drags enough to hear it, and I double checked parking brake with a feeler Guage on the caliper, it's correct.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Sometimes you bump the water/dust shields just enough to kiss the rotor. I removed all of mine.

Dannyh1991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Ecoboost
Is Rock Auto a good site? Looking for new rear calipers, handbrake has recently started failing and brakes are binding whilst driving.

Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Is Rock Auto a good site? Looking for new rear calipers, handbrake has recently started failing and brakes are binding whilst driving.
Yes. Great website with plenty of options.

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune

I had that same problem on my 2017 Mustang (before she was rear ended 😩)
Anyway, I took it to the dealer many times for that issue. They could never hear the noise 🙄 so it went unresolved for about 4 years. No excessive wear in that time - but it was damn annoying

Basically, you could try new pads, rotors and calipers. But is it worth the cost to you?

Dannyh1991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Ecoboost
I had that same problem on my 2017 Mustang (before she was rear ended 😩)
Anyway, I took it to the dealer many times for that issue. They could never hear the noise 🙄 so it went unresolved for about 4 years. No excessive wear in that time - but it was damn annoying

Basically, you could try new pads, rotors and calipers. But is it worth the cost to you?
Ah no :frown: hope you were ok and everything worked out in the end.
Yeah I definitely need new calipers, it failed MOT last year on the handbrake and I was able to take it off, clean up the mechanism, but now it's got worse and rolls with the handbrake up, so now my gearbox is my handbrake untill I get it fixed.

But overall, I can tell the brakes are getting hot whilst driving, the caliper paint has darkened and the disks are showing signs of getting hot.

PXL_20230505_112851078.jpg

Dannyh1991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Ecoboost
Yes. Great website with plenty of options.
Just been having a look, yeah there's so many options :cwl:. I'll need to try and find the right ones I need and see how it compares to Ford over here or Levitstown Ford.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Just been having a look, yeah there's so many options :cwl:. I'll need to try and find the right ones I need and see how it compares to Ford over here or Levitstown Ford.
MOTORCRAFTBRCF370 and MOTORCRAFTBRCF367 are the ones I bought from RockAuto. I still didn't find the time to install them will be doing it the upcoming week but my rear brakes are dragging way more than it should and are driving me crazy. Hope this solve it.
Sponsored