Ready to order - 3.55 or 3.15 diff?

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Thanks, and good point. I am not into the stoplight thing. But give me a clear and curved freeway on-ramp!

I really love the country road twisty bits, but I doubt how often I will get the chance to open her up out there, too.

Now ... "Opposing Counsel, would you like to cross-examine?" (Any opposing viewpoints?)
This is the *real* question. What are your goals?

The positives you've listed for the 3.15's aren't real. Highway fuel consumption is primarily based on the car's aerodynamics, which don't change due to gearing. Cruise RPM is a minor player. So, consider the mileage question moot. Consider that the difference in fuel consumption at cruise between an Eco & a Coyote really isn't much. It's almost all due to all aero considerations.

If you've got an auto, first gear is low enough that it won't make a huge difference on acceleration. If you were drag racing, you'll be able to slightly improve 60' times with the lower gearing, which is important. On the street, it doesn't matter much.

Here's the biggest difference. The 3.15 limited slip differential *has* to be a Traction-Loc. If you get a 3.31 or numerically higher gear, you can get the Torsen, which is a better differential for road course work. If you autocross, or anything like that, you will appreciate the added performance of the Torsen.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Hi Chris, welcome to the forum. By the way you just posted to a thread that died almost 5 years ago. :giggle: :like:
That doesn't mean the information isn't beneficial.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
That doesn't mean the information isn't beneficial.
Poster was not adding anything new, just indicating he was putting in 4.10's. There are many newer threads on this topic. With members that are still around to respond.

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
I shopped around, including out of province, until I found everything I wanted in a car. Fully loaded and the right colour. Get the 3.55 and enjoy. You are purchasing a sports car. If you want something that is eco friendly get a Prius ;)

Until then, welcome to the Burner Nation LOL

Sponsored

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I had the 3.15 gears with 27" tires and then swapped for the 3.73 Torsen gears with 26" and 27" tires. Hands down, the 3.73 gears are what I like the best. 3.15's we good for awhile but just didn't seem to really handle like I wanted (forgot what its called, tracloc? or something like that). The Torsen is worth it by itself. The 3.73 gears make the GT with 10R80 fly when you are already in motion. From a stop, first gear is useless if you are trying to accelerate. Its too much for a 305 tire on the street and I have significant suspension modifications that are helping keep it down. Haven't been to a drag strip but I'm not expecting it will be good off the line. But when in motion... dear lord it flies with a 26" tire.

To sum up, get the 3.55 and don't look back. You didn't miss anything with the 3.15's. Gas mileage did suffer but honestly, I have way more fun with the car to really concern myself with fuel economy impact.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
The torsen is by far the best differential ive ever experienced. Highly recommend the performance pack which has the torsen. So predictable and controllable.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I shopped around, including out of province, until I found everything I wanted in a car. Fully loaded and the right colour. Get the 3.55 and enjoy. You are purchasing a sports car. If you want something that is eco friendly get a Prius ;)

Until then, welcome to the Burner Nation LOL
Sometimes the 3.15 *is* the best option for performance. Buzz around with 4.30's all you want. You won't be any faster, you'll just have 2 useless gears on the bottom of the stack.

ScottyRyan2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BMW M2, 2023 Mazda CX-30