Sponsored

Question about diff temp sensor on 3.55 to 3.15 pumpkin swap???

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2019 PP1 with the 3.55 iron pumpkin that includes a diff temp sensor. I just picked up a low-mileage 3.15 aluminum pumpkin also from a 2019. The rear cover has the threaded port for the temp sensor but without any sensor installed. My real question is, does the sensor go all the way through the cover into the diff fluid to measure temps?

I am hoping I just have to swap the sensor over to the already tapped port and do not have to swap diff covers just to swap the sensor.
Sponsored

JohnVallo

1 5 4 8 3 7 2 6
Threads
Reaction score
Website
racersreunion.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350, Shadow Black, Whipple Supercharged
T
I have a 2019 PP1 with the 3.55 iron pumpkin that includes a diff temp sensor. I just picked up a low-mileage 3.15 aluminum pumpkin also from a 2019. The rear cover has the threaded port for the temp sensor but without any sensor installed. My real question is, does the sensor go all the way through the cover into the diff fluid to measure temps?

I am hoping I just have to swap the sensor over to the already tapped port and do not have to swap diff covers just to swap the sensor.
The Temp sensor does Not go all the way into the fluid. It's brass end bottoms out against the aluminum. Ford Manual says it's a (One time use), but I have heard of others swapping them over.
Part Number for New Sensor:
FORD OEM = 9L8Z-6G004-E
Standard Ignition = TS653

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ford renewed mine with the diff cover, backing up the one time usage.

The end on the old sensor has witness of where it has bottomed out and deformed a little where it has bitten into the cover - I wonder if it’s ability to bite in and deform is compromised with multiple usages ?

Sensor photo just for reference :

1696941593576.jpeg

WD :like:

OP
OP
jmeiers

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the replies. I will probably just order another then.

Keeping my iron pumpkin in the garage in case I want to go back or rebuild that one to be 3.15. I would like to keep the aluminum though for the weight savings.

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Thanks for the replies. I will probably just order another then.

Keeping my iron pumpkin in the garage in case I want to go back or rebuild that one to be 3.15. I would like to keep the aluminum though for the weight savings.
Are you aware that the aluminum housings have been known to have the mounting ears fail under higher HP?

Sponsored

OP
OP
jmeiers

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Are you aware that the aluminum housings have been known to have the mounting ears fail under higher HP?
I am but I will take my chances. This 3.15/ aluminum pumpkin so much lighter than my 3.55/Torsen/iron. I will be installing diff bushing lockouts and upgraded hardware at the same time. Should help with any movement.

But I do have my reservations. That’s why I didn’t trade my iron diff away and just bought the 3.15 diff outright. If I break it, I will install the 3.15’s in the iron pumpkin with a fresh tracklok.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
If you aren't bothered about NVH and you want to stick with the ally housing, I would consider solid diff mounts over any of the rubber / urethane variants.

I suspect holding the diff totally solid in the subframe will maximise the life of the ally housing, where any movement (even if reduced with uprated bushings) could add stress / flexing of the casing / fatigue / failure ?

WD :like:

MWC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I'm considering switching from a Torsen 3.55 to a 3.15 pumpkin as well. Will a tune revision be all I need to make the switch?

OP
OP
jmeiers

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm considering switching from a Torsen 3.55 to a 3.15 pumpkin as well. Will a tune revision be all I need to make the switch?
I still have an NGauge so I was simply going to change the gear ratio in that. You can also make the change with Forscan.

With that said, the next time I need a revision, I will be asking my tuner to set it to 3.15 in the tune.
Sponsored

Reactions: MWC