Rattle Near Steering Rack

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
2015 Mustang GT Premium, 98k miles, Auto.

I have a 2015 Mustang GT and have been experiencing a rattle since I got the car around 6k miles ago. The rattle seems to be coming from the steering rack/column area. It happens whenever going over slightly bumpy pavement. Haven't noticed it changing with any conditions.

My only concern is that it sounds like it is coming from the steering rack/system and I'm worried a bolt may be loose. I'm not super mechanical and just started learning about cars so I don't know the exact steering setup and how everything works.

The steering does seem to have a little play and make some noises when parked (although that could be totally normal and intentional I have no idea).

Steering Play Vid:

Rattle Noise Vid 1:

Rattle Noise Vid 2:
Sponsored

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
Besides the rattle, what type of noise does your steering wheel make when in park? I had a constant clicking noise anytime I turned the wheel. I just had my steering rack replaced. The clicking is gone, but I still hear a slight whine / groan when I turn the wheel in park.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Besides the rattle, what type of noise does your steering wheel make when in park? I had a constant clicking noise anytime I turned the wheel. I just had my steering rack replaced. The clicking is gone, but I still hear a slight whine / groan when I turn the wheel in park.
Look at the first video in the post. That’s me moving the steering wheel in park. Granted with no power steering as the battery was disconnected. I don’t know if it’s a clicking noise as much as a popping noise.

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
Look at the first video in the post. That’s me moving the steering wheel in park. Granted with no power steering as the battery was disconnected. I don’t know if it’s a clicking noise as much as a popping noise.
Those two noises were loud. See if you hear anything when the car is on and you turn the wheel back and forth in park.

Sponsored

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Those two noises were loud. See if you hear anything when the car is on and you turn the wheel back and forth in park.
Here are some more vids:

Car not on (no power steering):

Car on (no noise):

Car on (some noise):

The car didn't seem to make much noise when the power steering was on and the car was on. In the last vid had to move the steering wheel really fast.

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for uploading the videos. On the first start-up of the day, my steering wheel makes absolutely no noise. Once the car has been driven for awhile and I pull into a parking spot, and place it in park, and turn the steering wheel fully back and forth, I hear a light moan/groaning noise from the steering column. The smoother the surface I am parked on, the less noise it makes. I just attribute it to electric power steering whine.

As for your rattle, it may be as simple as something in the steering column itself that came loose. If you take it into the dealer, please keep me posted.
Sponsored