Sponsored

#%^&! Rats. Be on the lookout...

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I've lived in my house for 18 years and I've never had a rat or mouse problem (that I know of), until now. Yesterday I spotted a large mouse or small rat in my garage. It ran off somewhere and I couldn't find it. But I had a bad feeling since I've only been driving my car about once a week, or even 10 days sometimes. I checked under the hood and sure enough, there were rat or mouse droppings and what I guess is...spots of urine...in several places around the engine bay. I can't find any chew marks or actual damage, at least looking down from the top.

Going to set out an array of traps and poisons, but it's hard for me to picture how they are actually gaining access to the engine bay. Isn't the underbody pretty much paneled off with plastic? I guess they can climb and jump, so they may be crawling up the tires, or jumping into the lower grille area.

From now on I'm going to make it a point to clean the junk out of my garage, and drive more often in hopes it will keep them out of the car..
Sponsored

GeorgeC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
I've lived in my house for 18 years and I've never had a rat or mouse problem (that I know of), until now. Yesterday I spotted a large mouse or small rat in my garage. It ran off somewhere and I couldn't find it. But I had a bad feeling since I've only been driving my car about once a week, or even 10 days sometimes. I checked under the hood and sure enough, there were rat or mouse droppings and what I guess is...spots of urine...in several places around the engine bay. I can't find any chew marks or actual damage, at least looking down from the top.

Going to set out an array of traps and poisons, but it's hard for me to picture how they are actually gaining access to the engine bay. Isn't the underbody pretty much paneled off with plastic? I guess they can climb and jump, so they may be crawling up the tires, or jumping into the lower grille area.

From now on I'm going to make it a point to clean the junk out of my garage, and drive more often in hopes it will keep them out of the car..
Get a cat.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Lots of people say mothballs around the wheels will keep them out. We have hawks and owls around here, so I have never seen a mouse.

Soju59

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I live in the country and the little bastards are everywhere. I got one of those sonic repellents and zip tied it in the engine bay. Seems to be working so far (about 2 months). Batteries last around 3 months, but you can get them that wire into the battery.

Sponsored

LxMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
Vehicle Showcase
They're most likely climbing up your tires and have chewed a entrance hole in the wheel well...

sotek2345

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2016 F-150
Have lots of little critters where I live (my cat is useless) and store the car through the winter. Put dryer sheets around the car when it will sit for awhile and hang some mothballs nearby. (since mine is stored longer, I also put steel wool in the intake and exhaust).

Been working for years.

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I've read that human hair clippings keeps rabbits out. Mothballs keeps rats out. And dryer sheets keeps deer mice out. So I have all three around the garage and haven't had an issue in years.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
You won't catch me..

19d954a244237559f408097ad4d7e2e1d3-mice-lede.rsquare.w700.jpg

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
5 gallon bucket with a can and peanut butter works wonders in the winter in the garage.

Sponsored

axios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Had an issue where they chewed through the AC compressor wires. And they created a nest for themselves all the way up on the engine cover.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
I use several hav a a hart traps in the garage.get the size for chipmonks.wife doesn't like mouse traps.i too think they climb the tires,so putting killer traps at each corner also works.

kodioneill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 GT Kona Blue
I use a 5 gallon bucket with two holes drilled opposite each other 3/8 " diameter at the top of the bucket. Take a plastic coke bottle drill a hole in the center of the bottom slide it over the dowel then put the dowel through the holes in the top of the bucket then put about a half gallon of water in the bucket smear peanut butter on the bottle. You will get results.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I'm testing a device that tracks micro movements in air particles and fires a ruby laser. So far, it's shot 5 people, a dog and 2 cars... but no mice. The "fail safes" need a little tweaking.
Sponsored