Ramps for DIY Oil Change

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Fair point. So to be effective and constructive, anyone that would pay several hundred dollars for molded ramps has more money than sense.

We're not talking about something with sophisticated electronics or exotic materials. We're not talking about something that you depend on to save your life.

It's a couple blocks of molded poly. We're not taking this part to space. You can buy a latest gen smart phone for the cost of what they want for some plastic wedges. It's laughable. To further illustrate the point, if you go through this thread and see that you can replicate the function using cheap 2X4's and 2x8's or modify some of the REASONABLY priced poly ramps, the issue becomes clear, anyone who pays for them obviously isn't cost conscious about a few hundred dollars. We all have particular purchases that we make that someone could question it's value, but this one seems to be by all accounts, pretty indefensible.
You make some fair points. Is it the most financially sound decision to purchase them? No, but one could say the same about our cars and whatever mods we do to them. I think value is in the eye of the beholder. You can absolutely make something just as good out of lumber and put some skateboard grip tape on them if youā€™re worried they might slide. And theyā€™ll work just as well for a fraction of the price.

I made the decision to buy the Race Ramps based on reviews and my wider summer tires. Some of the other options were questionable with even 285 tires. Bonus for me is my brother-in-law uses my ramps for his C8 and even gave me some $$ since he uses them more than I do at this point. So I basically got them for half price after the fact which is nice but didnā€™t drive my decision personally.

I wish I had more money than sense, but for certain things Iā€™m willing to pay more for what I perceive as better quality. Are the race ramps 2-3x better quality than say Rhino ramps or some lumber? No, probably not. But most of my fun money goes to my car these days, although I still do make sure to get a few rounds of golf in. I still use a jack and jack stands for most things, the ramps are handy if I want to get one end of the car up quick and not mess with the jack stands.

To each their own, my real issue was with the guy calling people clowns because some of us made a choice, are happy with said choice and recommended our choice.
Sponsored

JBR14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT, 1995 EB Bronco, 1967 F100 SWB
šŸ¤£ yes there is more than one prancing horse in the garage. My spouse primarily drives itā€¦ I just constantly fix the damn thing when it has its issues every month. LOL Itā€™s a lovely car and fun to drive. The sounds it makes are absolutely beautiful but I always have this feeling that it might break down in the middle of a spirited drive. I usually take it to Cars&Coffee or Costco for gas and grabbing a rotisserie chicken. šŸ˜‹ I feel more comfortable in my reliable American cars with lots of crappy plastics that wonā€™t leave me stranded on the side of the road. šŸ˜‚

IMG_7442.jpeg

Going back to OPā€™s conversationā€¦ GET THE RACE RAMPS!!! You wonā€™t regret it.
Taking a Ferrari for a rotisserie chicken run is something I never thought I would hear, yet here we are. Good on you for driving it and not just having it . Is that a 911 / 993 or 996 in the background as well?

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
This is what I originally had. Ramps are about 15 years old, but when I purchased the Mustang, the skirts scraped the ramp. So I rigged the pre-ramps out of 2x10's. Nothing fancy as you can tell. But then, you will see I needed a rubberized carpet to keep everything from sliding on my slick garage floor.
20240226_155158549_iOS.jpg

But to get something more splitter-friendly, I obtained the following from Amazon. They are Heavy-Duty for sure; much heavier than I imagined. But, that's a good thing for safety.
MaxxHaul 50709 Ramps.jpg

And they hang nicely from the wall when not in use.

Ramp and Tool Storage.jpg

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Taking a Ferrari for a rotisserie chicken run is something I never thought I would hear, yet here we are. Good on you for driving it and not just having it . Is that a 911 / 993 or 996 in the background as well?
Good eye, yeah its a 993 Carrera.
We actually use all our vehicles regularly. It is such a treat driving them regularly and not storing them away. Truly the best ownership experience possible. Cars are meant to be driven.
If you ask me, the deliciously seasoned bird doesn't mind sitting in the front trunk next to some fruits, veggies and the leather wrapped tool kit.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Good eye, yeah its a 993 Carrera.
We actually use all our vehicles regularly. It is such a treat driving them regularly and not storing them away. Truly the best ownership experience possible. Cars are meant to be driven.
If you ask me, the deliciously seasoned bird doesn't mind sitting in the front trunk next to some fruits, veggies and the leather wrapped tool kit.
Totally off topic but the Costco rotisserie chickens remain one of the best deals out there today. And they are quite tasty and also shred nicely for chicken tacos (pro tip šŸ¤­).

Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Totally off topic but the Costco rotisserie chickens remain one of the best deals out there today. And they are quite tasty and also shred nicely for chicken tacos (pro tip šŸ¤­).
I can't read or hear the words rotisserie chicken without thinking of this girl

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS, 2024 Civic Type R, SV650
To each their own, my real issue was with the guy calling people clowns because some of us made a choice, are happy with said choice and recommended our choice.
I couldn't care less what you purchased or why. I just think it's a bit foolish to recommend a ~$400 set of ramps to a guy looking to do a 1st ever oil change.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I couldn't care less what you purchased or why. I just think it's a bit foolish to recommend a ~$400 set of ramps to a guy looking to do a 1st ever oil change.
And thatā€™s fine. You wouldā€™ve been better off stating it that way instead of calling people that bought them and like them clowns. OP asked for recommendations, those of us that have them and like them will recommend them. Others that have lower cost options that like them recommended them. OP can now make a decision based on different price points and recommendations.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
It's $477 for the 72" long ramps (which have a low enough initial angle) or you can buy the shorter ones and add on the extender for just under $500.

Sponsored

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
My PP2 drop spring,cheap plastic ramp +2x12 ,under 100$ ,I dont whant to pay 500$ for rampā€¦

IMG_0765.jpeg

IMG_0731.jpeg
That is not meant for large bellied people like me to get under :crackup:. I need to get back to exercising:cwl:.

Back in 2018 I noticed I had to jack my Civic really high to get underneath to do an oil change because my belly couldnā€™t get under the car.

Also get a filter wrench. I got a kit from Amazon that has different sizes. Great if you have different cars like me.

OP
OP
The Insomnimaniac

The Insomnimaniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT w/ Black Accent Pkg
Also off topic, I gotta get a Costco card so I can get in on their deals. Is their rotisserie chicken better than Walmartā€™s?

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS, 2024 Civic Type R, SV650
Also off topic, I gotta get a Costco card so I can get in on their deals. Is their rotisserie chicken better than Walmartā€™s?
Costco is absolutely worth the price of membership. Top tier gas, insane deals on tires, and of course the chickens. Way better than Walmart. You also get 2% cash back on thier credit card, and I believe another 2% back just for getting the gold card.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I havenā€™t had Walmartā€™s chicken in a while but Iā€™d put the Costco chicken up against just about anybody elseā€™s chicken.

OP
OP
The Insomnimaniac

The Insomnimaniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT w/ Black Accent Pkg
Costco is absolutely worth the price of membership. Top tier gas, insane deals on tires, and of course the chickens. Way better than Walmart. You also get 2% cash back on thier credit card, and I believe another 2% back just for getting the gold card.
I didnā€™t even think about the gas and tires. Guess Iā€™ll join up this week!
Sponsored