Sponsored

Ramps for DIY Oil Change

The Insomnimaniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT w/ Black Accent Pkg
After 13 months of ownership, I think I’ve finally worked up the nerve to change my own oil on my 2020 GT. I’d prefer to use ramps instead of fiddling around with a jack and jack stands. When I started looking at ramps, I never realized there were so many options, brands, and variables. Any suggestions for good quality ramps for home garage/driveway use? I’m not lowered and I have 255s all the way around. Also, any rookie oil change tips would be appreciated!

***Yes I know it’s just an oil change but I’ve never done my own car maintenance or been exposed to those who do.
Sponsored

Gargoyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
www.raceramps.com I have had literally every kind of car on these from corvette, hellcat, bmw, and now mustang .., They work great been using for like 15 + years!

I purchased the front and also the rear ones you have to measure a bunch to get it right and it’s a bit unnerving rolling up on them initially but you’ll get the hang of it !

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Last edited:

moby4dick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
I was just starting to reply, gargoyle beat me to it. Raceramps. Just need to measure wheel width and approach angle, website will guide you through that.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Another for race ramps. They’re expensive but quality is top notch. Get the longer ones (67” XT), they have a slightly lower approach angle so will work better for lower cars (my brother in law is using mine for his C8 to give you an idea of clearance)

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Also, don’t forget chocks for the wheels. Race ramps sells them as do most auto parts stores.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I have a standard Rhino set that I have used for years, I use them on my Mustang as well as my daily driver. Used them on my F150 too, they are plastic but very sturdy. Yes they are tight on my Mustang but I am not lowered so they work good. They are just high enough for me to slide my rather thick :) body under the front end and my arms are just long enough to reach back and twist out the drain plug. Then I slide forward and get the filter, I put an absorbent pad up in around the filter before I loosen to help contain some of the spillage, easy peasy, fill up the oil and back off the ramps.

If you are lowered, I agree, race ramps are a great option.

Sponsored

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
OP, congrats on taking the first step in maintaining your own vehicle! It can be nerve wrecking at first but just remember that since you are learning and have the ambition to take car of your own car - the likelihood of catastrophic mess-ups are slim just because you are paying extra attention. The other person at the local stealership/Grease Monkey is also learning... but they have about 15 cars waiting to touch so they won't be as diligent as you on your own vehicle!

I highly recommend getting Race Ramps branded ramps for your oil changes! I have these for our extremely low cars. If they work for our Ferrari F355 and Boxster Spyder, they will absolutely work for your lowered mustang. They are a bit pricy but the benefit is that they are pretty lightweight. You can easily pick one up with one hand.

MotoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT, 2018 Ford F150 XLT Supercab
I've changed mine twice with my Rhino Ramps, '21 GT with the 20 inch wheel/tire option. They're close but no scraping and wide enough. Very sturdy ramps, I've had them for years.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
After 13 months of ownership, I think I’ve finally worked up the nerve to change my own oil on my 2020 GT. I’d prefer to use ramps instead of fiddling around with a jack and jack stands. When I started looking at ramps, I never realized there were so many options, brands, and variables. Any suggestions for good quality ramps for home garage/driveway use? I’m not lowered and I have 255s all the way around. Also, any rookie oil change tips would be appreciated!

***Yes I know it’s just an oil change but I’ve never done my own car maintenance or been exposed to those who do.
If you don't plan to mod your car underneath, then ramps are good for oil changes.

But if you think you will mod underneath then why not apply the ramps' money towards floor jack and stands? About $250 covers aluminum 2.5T jack plus four stands when they are on sale.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
I have a standard Rhino set that I have used for years, I use them on my Mustang as well as my daily driver. Used them on my F150 too, they are plastic but very sturdy. Yes they are tight on my Mustang but I am not lowered so they work good. They are just high enough for me to slide my rather thick :) body under the front end and my arms are just long enough to reach back and twist out the drain plug. Then I slide forward and get the filter, I put an absorbent pad up in around the filter before I loosen to help contain some of the spillage, easy peasy, fill up the oil and back off the ramps.

If you are lowered, I agree, race ramps are a great option.
🤣 So funny story - normally I would recommend the Rhino set as a great option but they don't fit my GT/CS... the angle of the ramps is steep enough that they don't clear the large chin spoiler that comes on the older cali specials so the splitter literally acts as a shovel and just pushes the ramps around in the garage/driveway. Quite comical to see actually. They fit the regular mustang's chin spoiler but not the larger splitters, probably not going to fit a lowered mustang either.

I stopped using Rhino as I already had Race Ramps for our other lower profile sports cars.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
for our Ferrari F355
Hold up. I know you have a Viper, but you’re holding a Ferrari out on us??

Sorry for the slight de-rail OP 😁
Sponsored