Racing simulators

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I'm kinda waiting for the next step in VR resolution before I buy in.
Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
someone say iracing and racing sims?

checking in!

used to have triple screens but sold that off year in half ago now just do VR racing and have the 1440p ultrawide for other games.

36297592851_2c910caa48_b.jpg

p.s. forza and gran turismo are not sims. :p

I don't have VR, but a screen and VR goggles?

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I'm kinda waiting for the next step in VR resolution before I buy in.

VR is way off, but I can see how it would work well with racing games.

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
He stated he has the monitor for other titles. Vr isn't ideal for everything, you also need a monitor fot windows etc.. It is pretty awesome for driving sims. I tried vr vs. Triples on a friend's system and while there are advantages to triples (mainly resolution), the sense of immersion was far superior in vr. So I went that direction, its also pretry awe some in flight sims, I use it with DCS. I'm not sure the next step in resolution will be that great. Since the current evolution is a resource hog as it is.

kartguy898

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 / 2016 F150 FX4
Been on iracing for a few years. My heart rate still climbs and I sweat during races, even if it's something like Carb Cup where when (not if) you get wrecked, it doesn't impact your driver ratings.

For those asking about computer specs, don't skimp on the video card or RAM. You also need a good network connection if you intend to race against others.

Sponsored

Rainier42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Performance Blue GT350R
Interesting. What hardware are you all using? - e.g., which cockpit simulator, wheel, pedals, shifter, etc.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I run a logitech G920 wheel and pedals and also go the shifter. Im running a core i5 6600k OC'd at 3.9GHz, 16gb of memory, and a MSI gaming x GTX 1060 with 6gb of video memory. I have no issues running everything up to almost ultra on the triple 27" screens. and iRacing no problem running it on max settings with over 100 fps.

If i could do it over i probably wouldve just stuck with the main 27" i had and the 24" from work they gave me... i work from home doing tech support. and wouldve went VR. while ive never got to use a VR headset yet, everyone I race against in iRacing raves about it.. and of course its only going to get better.

elmn8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT-350 H0124 - Race Red
What's the recommended current VR headset? Rift or Vive. Since I have nothing in the way of monitors, I might as well try VR as it is now...

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
What's the recommended current VR headset? Rift or Vive. Since I have nothing in the way of monitors, I might as well try VR as it is now...
I run the rift. It also received the greatest support from iRacing during development

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
Donkey and Khyber,

Mind sharing your setups with us? I'm interested in putting together a rig and would love to leverage what you've learned works and what doesn't. I'm pretty savvy with building the computers but I don't know much about VR and what works there.

Would be cool to have Mustang6g sim races...
Mustang 6G sim racing league would be cool!

Mine is a i7 2600k overclocked to 4.8ghz, 16gb 1600 ddr3 ram, some ssd's, gtx 1080, oculus rift, lg 3440x1440 ultrawide monitor. I do a lot of video editing so I am about to rebuild a new system this fall when new cpu's come out. 2600k has last me since 2011 so i can't complain.

using obutto r3volution cockpit with Fanatec CSWv2 wheel w/universal hub for any rim, cswv2 pedals, and the css 1.5 shifter that does 7 gears+reverse and sequential.

I don't have VR, but a screen and VR goggles?
I play other games too like I said lol like wow, overwatch, battlefield, etc.

VR is way off, but I can see how it would work well with racing games.
Vr isn't way off at all. Only next steps are wider fov and higher resolution once gpus get faster to support 1440p each eye or 4k each eye. for now you can double render or triple render to help with the screen door effect and at 200mph you don't have time to notice SDE.

VR for sim racing and space sims is mind blowing. Oh and the military sim Onward is banana's too. I even made a gun out of pvc to put my controllers in to make it feel like I was holding a real gun. It gets intense.

Either or really. they both do practically the same now with multiple cameras and controllers. For sim racing though I'd pick the rift.

There are couple of things about the Rift where I'd rather have on my head for 250 laps. Mostly because of the built in headphones where with the vive you need a headset on your head as well. It gets hot as F sim racing even knowing you're not in a real car.

Just remember sim racing in VR is totally different than lets say samsung gear VR. It's like real vr vs play vr.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I've been iRacing since 2013 or '14 (though not very active for the last two years) and it's been a blast. I'd recommend it to anyone looking to improve race craft and car control... You need setup skills too to some extent, but most of the time I download a few setups for a car and try them until I find one that works for me and tweak a little from there. You have to take it seriously or there's no value in the training aspect.

Also, racing in VR is a blast. I've been a VR user since '14 I think, and it really helps you learn proper habits of looking through corners and mirror checking for traffic.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
Also, racing in VR is a blast. I've been a VR user since '14 I think, and it really helps you learn proper habits of looking through corners and mirror checking for traffic.
oh yea. hitting the apex right in VR is like an accomplishment! It's so much easier.

When your 200mph at Talladega with 42 other cars on the track nose to tail and you can't see anything but the rear end of the guy in front of you and you're pushing and being pushed while your dragging the brake hanging on for dear life when races count. it's insane in vr. you can just tell distances between you and other cars perfectly unlike on a monitor or even 3 monitors.

oh and this happens in VR ALOT. just like in real life. the oh shit moments are real. the helmet cams they use now is almost identical to what VR in sim racing is really like.

[ame]

cjgt350

Adrenaline Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F250 Platinum 2016 GT350 TP
After researching I ended up with this simulator seat. Very well built.

http://www.cwgrilles.com/shop/vrc1000-racing-chair

My youngest spends most of his free time in the seat. As far as helping his driving I have to say it helped as his lap times progressed very quickly when he started racing for reals.
IMG_2921.JPG
IMG_2629.JPG

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
My sim racing experience with learning car control at a young age (I started messing with sims at ~7 or so with keyboards, then 13 years old with a wheel... not seriously until I was 23 or so, out of college) definitely helps on a track. I'm consistently among the faster drivers at autocross or track day stuff, and if I was lighter I'd be really fast in karts too, but as it is I'm generally only a few tenths off the track records at my local tracks too.

I fully credit it to simulator time, I don't think I'm naturally talented. I have two left feet and my hand-eye coordination isn't amazing.

elmn8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT-350 H0124 - Race Red
CJGT,

Thanks for the link to the Carriage Works rig. It looks like a good rig. Question about the seat. The seat in your picture doesn't look like the seat shown on CW's web site. Did you get the bare chassis and add your own seat? If I'm mistaken and that is the CW seat, how do you like it?
Sponsored