Quietest setup with cat deletes?

pmor4243

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hoping to get some feedback from anyone that has had a similar goal.

I recently had my cats fail and put cat deletes on the car. I do have replacement cats to put back on but am on the fence on doing that right now.

I have the factory resonator in place with active mufflers.The mufflers are just wired to a switch in the car and are Really only ever open or closed. So track or quiet. With the factory cats, resonator, and mufflers open (in track mode) I loved the sound. Just the right volume in my opinion and a good refined sound.

With the cat deletes, things obviously got louder which I expected. I would like to try and get things close how they were. Is there a better option to quiet things down given that I already have an otherwise stock exhaust system?

I don’t know if adding a tru x resonator and some vibrant ultra quiets would do the job. Or maybeI would be better served with a different muffler. I would have to think there may be a slightly quieter straight through muffler design over the factory active but maybe not. I don’t want to create a bottleneck with the mufflers though, with my current set up, if I go WOT with the valves closed, the car will pull 2-3* of timing vs adding 3-4* with them open.

Any input on quieting this down would be great.
Sponsored

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform

I recently had my cats fail and put cat deletes on the car. I do have replacement cats to put back on but am on the fence on doing that right now.

I have the factory resonator in place with active mufflers.The mufflers are just wired to a switch in the car and are Really only ever open or closed. So track or quiet. With the factory cats, resonator, and mufflers open (in track mode) I loved the sound. Just the right volume in my opinion and a good refined sound.

With the cat deletes, things obviously got louder which I expected. I would like to try and get things close how they were. Is there a better option to quiet things down given that I already have an otherwise stock exhaust system?

I don’t know if adding a tru x resonator and some vibrant ultra quiets would do the job. Or maybe I would be better served with a different muffler. I would have to think there may be a slightly quieter straight through muffler design over the factory active but maybe not. I don’t want to create a bottleneck with the mufflers though, with my current set up, if I go WOT with the valves closed, the car will pull 2-3* of timing vs adding 3-4* with them open.

Any input on quieting this down would be great.
Hey this is Junior from N4SM, Borla exhaust sells a resonator that is a straight through design so there is no restriction in air flow. At the same time it quiets the car down a good amount. That might be what you are looking for.
9F34360E-5981-4A64-9CAE-0D4C7045FB55.jpeg
562D72A7-FD1F-4FDD-9BAF-2D4257266953.jpeg

OP
OP
pmor4243

pmor4243

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hey this is Junior from N4SM, Borla exhaust sells a resonator that is a straight through design so there is no restriction in air flow. At the same time it quiets the car down a good amount. That might be what you are looking for.
9F34360E-5981-4A64-9CAE-0D4C7045FB55.jpeg
562D72A7-FD1F-4FDD-9BAF-2D4257266953.jpeg
Thanks junior, what I haven’t been able to get a solid understanding of is if the Borla or Magnaflow resonators are quieter, louder or about the same as the oem resonator. I’ve read comments from people that vary wildly on that.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt

Did the Procharger cook your cats? Factory or aftermarket cats?

cbrtrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Your car should not be pulling 3 degrees with them shut then adding 3 degrees with them open. The borla resonator will be similar to stock. Magnaflow use to make one that was slightly quieter. What you have now will be one of your quietest options.

Sponsored

OP
OP
pmor4243

pmor4243

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Did the Procharger cook your cats? Factory or aftermarket cats?
I would say more than likely. They were oem cats. I did find out after that happened that 18-early 19s had tsb for cat failure so they sound like they were a little weak to begin with.

I have a set off a 2020 now that I picked up used but am worried they will just get ruined again.

OP
OP
pmor4243

pmor4243

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Your car should not be pulling 3 degrees with them shut then adding 3 degrees with them open. The borla resonator will be similar to stock. Magnaflow use to make one that was slightly quieter. What you have now will be one of your quietest options.
Several data logs have shown that is exactly what happens though.

The factory active exhaust valves open at wot even in quiet mode, so if I leave them shut the whole time, it would make sense that there is some restriction being introduced to the system. Worth pointing out this is also with 10psi through the Procharger.

OP
OP
pmor4243

pmor4243

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I’ve got nothing in my exhaust but active corsa mufflers. With valve closed it’s very quiet, barely more than stock
Great to know. No issues with running with it closed then?

I can drive around with the stock ones closed up until I’m around 5k rpm but thats usually when I see it start to pull some timing back.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
I don’t beat on the car with them closed, it’s just to be quiet. I did have 18 active mufflers and I made a pass at the track with them closed, didn’t notice because the other car was so loud. Car lost almost 10mph. Never doing that again lol

Sponsored
OP
OP
pmor4243

pmor4243

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I don’t beat on the car with them closed, it’s just to be quiet. I did have 18 active mufflers and I made a pass at the track with them closed, didn’t notice because the other car was so loud. Car lost almost 10mph. Never doing that again lol
Ok ya same general use case that I have then. I did a few pulls with mine closed just to see what would happen and it was nothing good so they have been reserved for early morning/late night neighborhood and mellow drives with the wife.

OP
OP
pmor4243

pmor4243

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
So based on the handful of replies so far it sounds like I likely won’t be able to quiet things much then.

I wish there was a good middle ground but it sounds like that may not be a thing. I will say the car is not ridiculously loud, just louder than I’d like. I feel like if could shave off 20% or so that would be about perfect on the sound levels.

Has anyone added any vibrant ultra quiets with much success? I remember those helped clean up a lot of rasp when I did headers on my truck but not sure if they would help much with volume.

djcodeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT roush SC

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
So based on the handful of replies so far it sounds like I likely won’t be able to quiet things much then.

I wish there was a good middle ground but it sounds like that may not be a thing. I will say the car is not ridiculously loud, just louder than I’d like. I feel like if could shave off 20% or so that would be about perfect on the sound levels.

Has anyone added any vibrant ultra quiets with much success? I remember those helped clean up a lot of rasp when I did headers on my truck but not sure if they would help much with volume.
I had the Vibrant mini race mufflers (as shown on the intro of the last YT video that @djcodeman posted), welded into my mid pipes, when I blew out my cats. My car is definitely a little louder now. I honestly don’t know of much else to do to quiet mine down, other than maybe installing something like Dynomax street mufflers and perhaps cutting open a factory resonator and filling it with high temp exhaust packing and welding it back up. Problem with that is, packing wears out over time, so the process would need to be repeated to maintain the desired level of quietness once achieved.

Mine with Ultimate Headers LTHs, Vibrant mini race mufflers welded into mid pipes, Steeda x-pipe and Steeda axle back.