Questions for GT Owners

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
2020 GT/6 spd here, no issues, live in the Raleigh area, and as long as your commute doesn't get you in peak periods where you can get stuck in a backup on the Interstate, a manual will be fine.

No need to FI either, unless you must have more more more more power and then of course everything else becomes a weak point, and you have to start down that very slippery slope of upgrading... everything.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Hello GT Owners,
I currently own a 2018 Mustang Ecoboost Premium w/ the 201A package and 10-speed transmission. I have a couple of questions for the 2018+ GT owners out there:
  1. How is the manual transmission for the 2018+ GT? Any problems w/ it? Easy to use?
  2. What mods did you guys do (N/A, Nitrous, Forced Induction)?
In about 4 years, I will have saved up enough to trade in my Ecoboost for a GT. I would likely go for a 2018+ Premium w/ the 6-speed manual transmission and 301A package. I have a couple more questions:
  1. Do you guys think the manual would be okay as a daily driver, as compared to the 10-speed? I would either keep living here in FL or move to Raliegh/Durham NC for a job in 2 years.
  2. Do you guys think adding a supercharger (like Whipple) would be any less daily-driveable?
Thanks in advance for any answers, and sorry for so many questions.
Fine - I have no problem with the much maligned MT-82 D4
Dedicated E85 and Forged wheels - NES FG-08
Yup
Ummm - when going FI, I would never recommend doing so on a high compression, non-forged piston motor that revs high. Many here may disagree.

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
I have a 2016. Not sure there's a big difference. I dailyed it for over a year, didn't have many issues. Just be sure to drive it right. Not insulting your skill but I have seen people across the board ruin transmissions. It's the driver, not the transmission.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I have a March 19 build and my 3rd gear shift fork broke a couple weeks ago with 12k on the car. If I would have to do it all again I would have put a good clutch in it before adding more power because with more power comes shifting more often and also clutch lockout, which is what broke mine.
That sucks. How did the lockout cause you to lose the shift fork?

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Third gear forks used to break simply because they were too soft for the job. Pure design flaw.
A lockout may make the problem worse, because when it happens you tend to push the lever harder, to force it into gear, which puts even more strain on the shift forks. But at the end of the day it's the forks themselves that are the weak link, and they will break sooner or later, with or without lockups.
That's why an MT-82 made between 2018 and mid-2019 should be avoided unless it's had its shift forks upgraded.

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
One advantage of getting a 2018 is that you don’t need a tune if you go with 4.09’s or higher gears instead of going FI. 2019+ cars need tunes for some weird reason. Great mod, I test drove a new 2020 PP2 and the first thing I noticed was that it was not as quick as my car.
I'm not convinced gears make the car actually quicker mathematically, but you definitely get more wheel torque which you feel in the butt dyno. But I have yet to see anyone do a back to back test after swapping gears on 1/4 times or something that would benefit in theory. Shifting isn't fast, so the more you shift the slower you're going.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I'm not convinced gears make the car actually quicker mathematically, but you definitely get more wheel torque which you feel in the butt dyno. But I have yet to see anyone do a back to back test after swapping gears on 1/4 times or something that would benefit in theory. Shifting isn't fast, so the more you shift the slower you're going.
Mathematically, gear changes apply a higher force to the road through the rear tires so it is definitely quicker. It’s the same reason the A10 is quicker than the MT 82 even though it shifts more, it’s just that the A10 mechanical advantage is in the transmission ratios rather than the differential. I saw one guy who said it didn’t help his 1/4 mile time because he had to make one more shift right before the finish line, but in real world driving it’s very noticably quicker than the 3.73’s. Some guys like them for autocross, they could probably list before and after times that show they make the car quicker in that environment.

Last edited:

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I daily my 2020 301a GT manual. The mt82 d4 is fine, shifts good at lower rpm, I did have the lockout issues in 2nd and occasionally 3rd at high rpm. That all went away with the MGW shifter.

As a daily driver it’s great, comfortable seats, pretty good visibility, enough power to be able to merge into traffic without showing others down if the need arises. My car is a PP1 and is a little harsh over really rough roads, but no more than my Focus ST was prior to this car.

As for daily driving a manual, I’ve been doing it for 13 years. I started in a 5 speed Silverado, terrible trans. Then briefly went to an F150, but was too boring and traded in for a 2014 Focus ST (manual)which was a great car very fun. Traded that for a manual Wrangler that ended up being a lemon and got back into a 2018 Focus ST Triple Yellow is a great color on that car. Went from that to another f150 briefly and then to my mustang. Currently I have my mustang and an old Chevelle that also a manual. So I’m towing my own regardless of what I drive.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Some of this stuff speaks for itself (driver). You either you like to drive a manual or you do not period.

All this nonsense with regards to traffic is stupid. Driving in traffic takes coordination, and judgment. 2 ways to control speed . Good driver uses the throttle (coordination, and judgment), the armature uses the brakes, constantly. One understands the statement or not.

Manual has the advantage, longer brake pad life. Will go out on a limb and say, gets better MPG if that's a concern, not mine.

So op do you like to drive a manual box?

Whipple, personal preference what's the goal. No advice, the car has plenty of power, for the drive conditions of the states mention.

Live and worked in both. FL with all the tolls you will be more worried about how much change is in the cup holder.

NC, has the strangest road system I've driven on . Be prepared to make loads of U turns, to get to places across the street. 2 left turn lanes, one for U the other left ???

I could go on but that's enough hot air for now.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Mathematically, gear changes apply a higher force to the road through the rear tires so it is definitely quicker. It’s the same reason the A10 is quicker than the MT 82 even though it shifts more, it’s just that the A10 mechanical advantage is in the transmission ratios rather than the differential. I saw one guy who said it didn’t help his 1/4 mile time because he had to make one more shift right before the finish line, but in real world driving it’s very noticably quicker than the 3.73’s. Some guys like them for autocross, they could probably list before and after times that show they make the car quicker in that environment.
Wheel torque doesn't equate to being faster though. A lesser wheel torque for a longer duration is the same in actual acceleration as a higher wheel torque for a lower duration. The A10 has multiple advantages, but it's shifting speed is also 800x faster than what a human can do and it sits in the power band until the ideal moment to shift to the next gear.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Wheel torque doesn't equate to being faster though. A lesser wheel torque for a longer duration is the same in actual acceleration as a higher wheel torque for a lower duration. The A10 has multiple advantages, but it's shifting speed is also 800x faster than what a human can do and it sits in the power band until the ideal moment to shift to the next gear.
The A10 does not shift "800x faster" unless you have all the arm speed of a sloth. 10x an easy unhurried manual shift . . . that I can believe.

If you're going to use a math-based explanation, you need to do the full analysis, which would plot up something like this.

TKX vs 10R80.jpg

Norm

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I prefer the A10 and do not like the manual. Compared to other manuals I have owned it just doesn't feel right. But, I have daily driven a lot worse cars in heavy traffic than a manual Mustang, with or without a supercharger. It is really a matter of what you get used to and how laid back you want your commute to be.

The forced induction cars I have owned were a liability in heavy rush hour traffic. Too much heat buildup, throttle response issues and poor gas mileage. But, that was a few years ago.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I laugh the big sell quick shifts.... take a breath. Think back and HONESTLY tell us how many times you drag raced anyone, beyond 3 gear?

So much BS flying around about the A10. I must conclude. The one on the tallest soap box lacks coordination,. Simply cannot successfully drive a stick.
Sponsored