JackMan2k1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Hello GT Owners,
I currently own a 2018 Mustang Ecoboost Premium w/ the 201A package and 10-speed transmission. I have a couple of questions for the 2018+ GT owners out there:
  1. How is the manual transmission for the 2018+ GT? Any problems w/ it? Easy to use?
  2. What mods did you guys do (N/A, Nitrous, Forced Induction)?
In about 4 years, I will have saved up enough to trade in my Ecoboost for a GT. I would likely go for a 2018+ Premium w/ the 6-speed manual transmission and 301A package. I have a couple more questions:
  1. Do you guys think the manual would be okay as a daily driver, as compared to the 10-speed? I would either keep living here in FL or move to Raliegh/Durham NC for a job in 2 years.
  2. Do you guys think adding a supercharger (like Whipple) would be any less daily-driveable?
Thanks in advance for any answers, and sorry for so many questions.
Sponsored

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
  1. Do you guys think the manual would be okay as a daily driver, as compared to the 10-speed? I would either keep living here in FL or move to Raliegh/Durham NC for a job in 2 years.
My manual GT is my commuter car. To me it's pretty much the same as any other manual so yeah, I'd say its OK for daily. My commute is at 04:30 and 14:00 so there's hardly any stop-n-go. It's mostly just going. If I had to sit in traffic a lot, I would have bought the auto and been perfectly happy with it.

blind*guardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have a 2019 GT with the 6MT and used it as a daily in LA traffic prior to the COVID. I also had 3 other manual cars prior to the Mustang so have something to compare. The GT manual is completely fine and feels absolutely great. However, I do not do any speed shifting and do not abuse it. From what I've heard, if you don't abuse it, then it works great. Can't speak to its durability and feel if supercharged.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
Maybe I’m in the minority, but I have no desire to FI mine much less any mods to the motor. I’m perfectly content with how this engines runs, pulls, etc. Granted it’s a gen 2. My only itch is not having the M6.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
48k on my 19. Most of my commute is before traffic gets bad but I do hit rush hour some. The mt82 does great. Very easy manual to daily. I just finished installing the hellion street sleeper last week. Today was my first day taking it to work. (200 mile work day!) It's amazing how stock it feels when cruising. Out of boost it drives like it did straight from the factory. If your looking 18+ I'd skip the 18 and look 19 or newer for the manual. Seems like 18s were the ones with shift fork issues.

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
How is the manual transmission for the 2018+ GT? Any problems w/ it? Easy to use?
You'll hear a lot of differing opinions on this topic. Most of the negative reviews, as far as I can tell, are either based on earlier incarnations of the MT-82, or come from people who use the car on the track - apparently it doesn't like to be abused. Also, some of the issues seem to originate rather from the clutch than from the gearbox itself.
You may want to avoid 2018 and the first half or so of 2019, though, as the shift forks from that period suffered from a major design flaw - they were made of porridge and broke if you looked at them crossly. They solved this issue sometime in 2019.

My 2020 MY is absolutely perfect in every respect. There's no hesitation, no notchiness, nothing as all. It's butter-smooth in every situation, including immediately after starting the car at 10 °F.
It's one of the best manual gearboxes I've seen, maybe even the best.
However, some people have reported that theirs used to be perfect when new, then became a bit notchy as time went by. I've only got 2500 miles on the clock, so who knows, my limited experience may not be something to go by.

One thing worth keeping in mind are the extremely long gear ratios in the 2018+ version. I happen to love them, I think they're perfect for daily driving, but many don't.

Do you guys think the manual would be okay as a daily driver, as compared to the 10-speed?
Absolutely. Mine is a daily driver. No problem at all. I enjoy every minute behind its wheel.

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
MT-82 user here, gearbox works great. One of the better ones I've used. No issues with high RPM shfits either. Stock gears are tall though, which is nice for daily driving but less fun when you want to get on it. Top of 2nd is like 70mph or something silly like that. At least you can wind it out getting onto the highway though.

Hye Power

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang, 1985 mustang
2018 whipple stage 2, mt82, mantic clutch, daily driven and tracked. Broken shift forks once :)

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly depends on how comfortable you are with a manual transmission and daily driving. I haven't had an automatic daily driver in a LONG time. Heck, I swapped a car from auto to 5 speed years ago. I prefer manuals.

Not a power vs ET argument - I simply prefer it. I've driven 'em so long, I don't even think about while driving. Stop and go is no big deal. In fact the long gearing of the 6 speed in my '19 makes it ridiculously easy to poke along in stop and go without constantly clutching in and out.

I would recommend your first mod be a MGW Shifter - but that's my opinion.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Hello GT Owners,
I currently own a 2018 Mustang Ecoboost Premium w/ the 201A package and 10-speed transmission. I have a couple of questions for the 2018+ GT owners out there:
  1. How is the manual transmission for the 2018+ GT? Any problems w/ it? Easy to use?
  2. What mods did you guys do (N/A, Nitrous, Forced Induction)?
In about 4 years, I will have saved up enough to trade in my Ecoboost for a GT. I would likely go for a 2018+ Premium w/ the 6-speed manual transmission and 301A package. I have a couple more questions:
  2. Do you guys think adding a supercharger (like Whipple) would be any less daily-driveable?
Thanks in advance for any answers, and sorry for so many questions.

1) It nibbles a little when cold, but does fine when warmed up and in warmer weather. THe quirks shifting seem to be during normal shifting, at full boogie I never have any problems with quick shifts.

2) CAI and Borla S Type. Have a Lund shelf tune but getting on the books for a dyno tune today. Also have some lightweight wheels getting installed soon. The car is goofy fast in the current condition and can present traction issues. It's a beast, I don't really feel the need for FI because I won't be racing it.

1) That is up to you. If you have ever owned a manual, you likely know they are fun most of the time, but that 5 o'clock traffic, or wreck on the interstate gets annoying quick. Would I buy the manual again? Yessir.

2) See 2 above.

Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
One advantage of getting a 2018 is that you don’t need a tune if you go with 4.09’s or higher gears instead of going FI. 2019+ cars need tunes for some weird reason. Great mod, I test drove a new 2020 PP2 and the first thing I noticed was that it was not as quick as my car.

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
The A10 is faster than the stick and a Shelby GT350 at the drag strip. Plus Ford throws in the terrific remote start feature with the A10.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
One advantage of getting a 2018 is that you don’t need a tune if you go with 4.09’s or higher gears instead of going FI. 2019+ cars need tunes for some weird reason. Great mod, I test drove a new 2020 PP2 and the first thing I noticed was that it was not as quick as my car.
Thanks for reminding me LOL
It's the '19+ having rev match. I'm going 4.09 gears, but I don't want to tune it until E85 gets more readily available. I'm going to buy the HPTuners setup for like $400 which will let me change the max gear ratio setting and will allow me to upload custom tunes down the road.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Not a power vs ET argument - I simply prefer it. I've driven 'em so long, I don't even think about while driving. Stop and go is no big deal.
This ^^^

We've owned MT cars exclusively for almost 50 years, and it's just the way some cars 'work'. It's actually pretty easy to get to that point, just get in the car and drive it like it's the only way cars can be driven and you'll be fine.

Norm

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
48k on my 19. Most of my commute is before traffic gets bad but I do hit rush hour some. The mt82 does great. Very easy manual to daily. I just finished installing the hellion street sleeper last week. Today was my first day taking it to work. (200 mile work day!) It's amazing how stock it feels when cruising. Out of boost it drives like it did straight from the factory. If your looking 18+ I'd skip the 18 and look 19 or newer for the manual. Seems like 18s were the ones with shift fork issues.
I have a March 19 build and my 3rd gear shift fork broke a couple weeks ago with 12k on the car. If I would have to do it all again I would have put a good clutch in it before adding more power because with more power comes shifting more often and also clutch lockout, which is what broke mine.
Sponsored