Sponsored

Questions about 1st>2nd shifts

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I have some questions regarding the jerkiness of the 1st to 2nd shifts. I used to have a Focus that did similar things but never learned why. I don't think any of them are actual problems.

1. On cold starts, the shifter is much stiffer and feels like it is harder to press into gear. Also with this, when letting the clutch back out (engaging it), it feels like it bounces off the flywheel, like it doesn't engage smoothly. Are these related to cold tranny fluid?

2. When getting going in 1st, but not shifting into 2nd right away, say you're in 1st for 10 seconds or so just cruising, and then going to shift, when I step on the clutch it feels and sounds like the transmission is going to fall apart on me, with the shaking and clunking. What is going on here?

3. Sometimes I notice the shift is much smoother when I do it fast. I would think that if I take the time to let the RPMs drop and then let out the clutch, that it would be smoother, but it seems the opposite. Is there a reason for that?
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Is this your first manual transmission?

Do the BG Synchromesh fluid kit for it.

OP
OP

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Is this your first manual transmission?

Do the BG Synchromesh fluid kit for it.
No I mentioned my previous Focus did these things too. I will look at that kit.

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
1. Probably fluid, yes
2. Feature, not a bug. The clunking of this transmission has been documented widely here. It's just the way it is. Almost only prevalent at low rpm though.
3.Try a clutch spring mod. Otherwise this problem sounds like you need more seat time and just learn the muscle memory. I shift my car a lot different a year and a half into ownership than I did in the first few months.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
I have some questions regarding the jerkiness of the 1st to 2nd shifts. I used to have a Focus that did similar things but never learned why. I don't think any of them are actual problems.

1. On cold starts, the shifter is much stiffer and feels like it is harder to press into gear. Also with this, when letting the clutch back out (engaging it), it feels like it bounces off the flywheel, like it doesn't engage smoothly. Are these related to cold tranny fluid?

2. When getting going in 1st, but not shifting into 2nd right away, say you're in 1st for 10 seconds or so just cruising, and then going to shift, when I step on the clutch it feels and sounds like the transmission is going to fall apart on me, with the shaking and clunking. What is going on here?

3. Sometimes I notice the shift is much smoother when I do it fast. I would think that if I take the time to let the RPMs drop and then let out the clutch, that it would be smoother, but it seems the opposite. Is there a reason for that?
1) when cold, the oil in the transmission is more viscous and the synchronizers don't work as efficiently. The oil in the transmission has nothing to do with the oil in the clutch. If you still have the stock clutch spring in though, the temperature might affect the k-value of the spring.

2) what RPM are you talking about here? How fast did you get up to in 1st? Which rear end? Are you talking about the unloading burble of the engine? Shaking?

3) Look into techniques called double clutching and rev-matching. They are shifting techniques that are absolutely necessary on a transmission without synchros, and skills that get lost because of synchros. Ideally, you want your engine to be sitting at the same RPM as the input shaft of the transmission for the smoothest shift possible. If you leave your clutch disengaged and the engine falls to idle, the transmission has to bring the engine back up to speed via the clutch. If you shift quickly and re-engage the clutch before the engine falls to idle, the transmission doesn't have to fight the rotating mass of the engine quite as much. Remember, there are three independent rotating sections on your car. The engine rotating assembly (engine accessories, pistons, rods, crankshaft, flywheel), the transmission input (clutch, input shaft, counter-shaft), and the output (transmission output shaft, driveshaft, pinion, differential carrier, axles, drive wheels). With the clutch engaged and in gear, they function as a unit. With the clutch disengaged and out of gear, each of the three can rotate independently.

Sponsored

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1

My '19 does all the same things you just described. The clunky noise definitely caught my attention and it only does it at slow speeds like if I am in a parking lot. My stock T-5's and Tremec's never did that as best as I can recall.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
This is most likely due to 0 feed-back through the stock hydraulic clutch system.

Use The Force, learn the clutch you must.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
The BG fluid helps some, but when its cold, it's crunchy. That's just the way it is.

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
I think the clunking in first gear is driveline lash. It's built in by Ford to prevent NVH from transferring into the cabin. I've read that aftermarket one-piece drive shafts will solve the clunking problem, but will cause a lot of NVH in its stead.

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
If you replace your tranny bushing and shifter base bushing with stiffer units it helps alot, but the cold 1-2 is always there to some degree.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I came from driving Japanese cars with manuals for a lot of years but this MT-82 has a slight learning curve. The clutch pedal spring does help with feel, but smooth shifts are a matter of getting used to the trans as well. When the car is cold, I take it easy from 1-2 until things warm up. You can't rush it. Once everything is warm there's no issue for me. I do feel the syncros working slightly more going into 2nd and into 5th, but I think that is a characteristic and not indicative of a mechanical problem. I have seen no decline in performance with just under 30k miles on the clock.
Sponsored