20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
I have an aftermarket device that will surpass, on occasion, the 30A power slot it is currently connected to. My question is: Do I connect this new device to a slot (right side footwell fuse box) that is labeled in the Owners Manual "Not Used (spare)"? Fuse Number 4 is rated 20A is an example. Before connecting, I would change the fuse from the 20A to 40A to accommodate the increased power draw.
Sponsored

mc68386

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
I have an aftermarket device that will surpass, on occasion, the 30A power slot it is currently connected to. My question is: Do I connect this new device to a slot (right side footwell fuse box) that is labeled in the Owners Manual "Not Used (spare)"? Fuse Number 4 is rated 20A is an example. Before connecting, I would change the fuse from the 20A to 40A to accommodate the increased power draw.
I don't have any definite answers, but a couple of thoughts.
It's possible since it's labeled "spare" it's not even wired for power on all cars.
If it is wired for power, and has a 20 amp fuse, pushing it up to 40 amps could exceed what the wires/harnesses connecting it can take. And frying that circuit might cause collateral damage on other nearby circuits.
If it was my car I'd probably install a new (fused) fat wire directly to the battery and thread it through the firewall to wherever I need to go. Put the fuse as close to the battery connection as possible.

OP
OP
20ducks

20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
If I hook it directly to the battery won't it draw off the battery even if the car is off?

mc68386

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
If I hook it directly to the battery won't it draw off the battery even if the car is off?
Yes it would - most devices that use high current have a separate power switch line that you connect to a (low power) accessory power circuit that turns it on when the car is running.
If your device takes high power *and* needs to be powered on only when the car is running *and* doesn't have a separate power switch line, then all of your options have downsides.
Sponsored