Question on "when" 5.0 is "warmed up"

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
From a spirited driving perspective, especially on a car with any power and any mods, I tend to baby them when warming up after a cold start. I know generally ECT at 165 or higher is one, but since this is a large motor with a lot of oil, is something like cylinder head temp another data point to watch to know when you are ready to drive it a little more hard? It looks like normally, the cylinder head temp readout stops rising at around 200 degrees.

I am generally shifting between 2-3k on cold starts now, let it idle about 15-20 seconds before pulling out of the driveway. This is my first Mustang, so TIA.
Sponsored

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
From a spirited driving perspective, especially on a car with any power and any mods, I tend to baby them when warming up after a cold start. I know generally ECT at 165 or higher is one, but since this is a large motor with a lot of oil, is something like cylinder head temp another data point to watch to know when you are ready to drive it a little more hard? It looks like normally, the cylinder head temp readout stops rising at around 200 degrees.

I am generally shifting between 2-3k on cold starts now, let it idle about 15-20 seconds before pulling out of the driveway. This is my first Mustang, so TIA.
Essentially just wait for the RPMs to revert back to a normal state after a cold start. You really don't have much to worry about with these newer cars vs the old. If you live in colder climates id let the car idle until it gets to operating temperature. Should only take about 30-60 seconds for that to happen.

Jordan @ Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Stingray M7
These engines do get warm much quicker with the way oil flows through the block. Technically it's best to let the ECT get up to 165 before you go above 3 -3.5k rpm's. Viscosity and lubrication (friction reducing effect) change and become optimal with temperature. The metals within your engine also expand and become less prone to to damage/wear. One of the harshest scenarios your engine goes through is the cold start up. I usually let my car warm up for 2 minutes before I move it but I'm a dork 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
gadgtfreek

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Hahaha. Seems like the 165 is more universal than I thought. My previous Honda was tuned, had a turbo, so I def babied it until over 165 which was a common recommendation for that car.

Sponsored

Jordan @ Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Stingray M7

Five_OhGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ford Mustang GT Premium/'13 Ford Focus ST ST3
Vehicle Showcase
I have the regular gauge cluster, and I just use the Gauges menu for all the readouts. I've noticed that the Engine Oil Temp becomes "Normal" when the cylinder head temperature reaches 180. So I typically don't rip it until I reach that point.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
i generally start mine and let it sit for a few mins before I drive it. I don't get on it much either until it gets to at least 180* CHT. I feel like this is especially important with a supercharged vehicle as generally you are running 5w50 or a similar heavy weight oil, so I make sure its warmed up a decent bit.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT RTR series 1 PP2
I have the regular gauge cluster, and I just use the Gauges menu for all the readouts. I've noticed that the Engine Oil Temp becomes "Normal" when the cylinder head temperature reaches 180. So I typically don't rip it until I reach that point.
I do exactly this

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I let it get to 190* CHT before revving over 2500, and let it get almost halfway into the green on oil temp before going WOT/redline.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Until oil temp is “normal”. I have a PP car so I usually check the oil psi and see if it’s to “warm” specs versus still running high, indicating the oil isn’t to full temp.

I don’t know about everyone else; but my GT feels a little stiff until it’s fully warmed up.

OP
OP
gadgtfreek

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Until oil temp is “normal”. I have a PP car so I usually check the oil psi and see if it’s to “warm” specs versus still running high, indicating the oil isn’t to full temp.

I don’t know about everyone else; but my GT feels a little stiff until it’s fully warmed up.
I guess we dont have anything other than oil pressure in ours? I haven't seen an oil temp. I think their may be one on the ngauge.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
If you live in colder climates id let the car idle until it gets to operating temperature. Should only take about 30-60 seconds for that to happen.
It takes A LOT longer than 1 minute for engine to reach operating temperature, even if you're driving the car. But it's not needed to wait for that. Just like you said, until rpm fall into normal idle level, which take about 1 to 2 minutes on my Bullitt when cold.

Have Launch Control enabled, once it is at operating temp the little LC will display on the dash.
It lights up MUCH sooner than it should man, at least on my Bullitt. I tried it, but it lighted up about 3 blocks from my house, so I knew I couldn't rely on that. After I installed the GT350 oil temp gauge (admittedly not very accurate), the 'LC' lighted up well before oil was at 150F, which I consider the minimum temp to rev the engine higher. So I turned it off. By the way, the oil temp gauge shows full operating temperature way too soon IMO, so probably not very accurate. And yes, I know the oil cooler is coolant-to-oil, but still, with 10 qts, it should take longer than my gauge says. It shows at operating temperature before a mile at low speeds. So I wait a few minutes after that, just to be safe.
Sponsored