Question on using jack stands

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
Strange question , usually I do my work on a 2 post lift . I may not have access to that in the next 2 weeks, and my Quickjack is not here yet.

I have jacking rails and put my car up before on 4 jackstands. Jack the middle and put stands in front and back, then do other side.

I need to to my front brakes , can I just use 1 jackstand at a time to do the fronts ? Jack up on the rail and put the stand on the front jack point ?
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Its what I do.

very rarely do I need to use 2 stands at once, did my whole suspension swap one tire at a time. just walking around jacking up wheels each one I get too. oh are you saying

one jack stand to lift entire front of car?

I wouldn't. just my opinion. i put a jack on both sides of front jacking areas.

EVEN if the jack is capable, I dont feel its sturdy with just one point of contact, it can slide, etc.. 2 is better, for your safety. imo. dont do one jack for entire front car in air.

traktrbeam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Oxford GT Premium PP1
I have jacking rails also. Whenever I put the car on stands, I have a floor jack on either side just touching the rails and locked. Better to be safe then dead.

OP
OP
ANGST

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
Its what I do.

very rarely do I need to use 2 stands at once, did my whole suspension swap one tire at a time. just walking around jacking up wheels each one I get too. oh are you saying

one jack stand to lift entire front of car?

I wouldn't. just my opinion. i put a jack on both sides of front jacking areas.

EVEN if the jack is capable, I dont feel its sturdy with just one point of contact, it can slide, etc.. 2 is better, for your safety. imo. dont do one jack for entire front car in air.

I was just doing one corner at a time. Jack it up , one stand on a corner , do the brake on that corner , lower , then do the other corner .

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
What I do when working on just one corner, is remove the wheel, then lower the car until level (or as much as possible), to avoid twisting the chassis for too long. But if wheel is too close to the floor, obviously that's not possible, but at least lower it as much as you can. And when removing the tire, I only jack the car enough for a few millimeters of clearance under the tire, to avoid injuring my back, AND hitting the caliper with the wheel.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
What I do when working on just one corner, is remove the wheel, then lower the car until level (or as much as possible), to avoid twisting the chassis for too long. But if wheel is too close to the floor, obviously that's not possible, but at least lower it as much as you can. And when removing the tire, I only jack the car enough for a few millimeters of clearance under the tire, to avoid injuring my back, AND hitting the caliper with the wheel.
I wouldn't worry about that too much, these cars are pretty rigid, I could still open both doors just fine with one corner raised on each side.
Sponsored