Question on trading in a FI mustang

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
It's been my experience that when you mod a car in any significant way, like going FI, it then becomes YOURS. You'll be lucky if you can find someone out there who likes the same idea of YOURS as you do.

If keeping up with the Joneses is your thing then think twice before taking it to level 11.

Like all others here have said you will be lucky to get the value of the car in its factory trim and little, to no, compensation for your mods; even if the Ford dealership installed them for you.
Sponsored

RoGCobraRV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
The classifieds section prices on here would disagree with statements that mods don't put a premium on the price. Maybe because this is a mustang centric forum and people are looking for that type of car.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I have a 19gt with 15k miles and I have a vortech sc, 4.09 gears and a couple other things. I’m thinking of trading mine in for a 24 gt premium.
First of all, why the hell would you ever want to even do this? You’re throwing money in the lake and getting something uglier and inferior to your S550 with tasteful mods and more power.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The classifieds section prices on here would disagree with statements that mods don't put a premium on the price. Maybe because this is a mustang centric forum and people are looking for that type of car.
you're mistaking "I know what I have" ASKING price with selling prices which are rarely if ever disclosed. Sure, someone on the forum may well be willing to "overpay" or at least be generous in their percentage. But the general public is far less willing as a rule. Unless you get lucky and someone buys the offer, hook, line and sinker.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Two stories. First one, last early spring I offered a guy 30K for a nice 2012 Corvette. That was the suggested value from online value sites. He wanted 35K because of the carbon fiber add ons , the wheels and a short throw shifter. I only liked the shifter. I suggested he take the carbon fiber stuff and the aftermarket wheels off and sell them, but he had not kept the factory wheels/tires. Anyway he wanted 100% of the cost of the add -ons. I walked away.

Yesterday I went to look at a new truck. Dealer wanted 43K for the truck without a trade. I wanted to trade in my truck with 65K miles. I asked for $7,400 which is the value found on the web. He offered $6K. Here is the kicker of the story. He tells me I could sell my truck for maybe 10 grand on my own because it is in good shape. That was Monday and I likely will just keep the older truck. I bought it new and it is paid for.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
As others have said, private party is your best bet. You still won’t get full value of what you have into it but you’ll get a slightly higher percentage than you would from a dealer. Best bet if trading in is return it to stock and then sell the FI stuff here (or on other sites).

I also agree with some of the other comments here regarding the 2024 car. You do know that it’s a fully networked vehicle with a locked ECU, correct? That will make tuning for FI nearly impossible unless you go through one of Ford’s preferred vendors. If you’re not looking to tune it and you really like the look of the S650 then have at it. I have an oil change appointment tomorrow and my dealer supposedly just got their Dark Horse in, so I’m hoping to get my first look at it tomorrow. I’m reserving final judgment on S650 until I see it in person

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I'd check out the mustang classifieds on facebook, I see lots of boosted cars being bought and sold on there. more enthusiasts

OP
OP
Marketplaza

Marketplaza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT shadow black and 18 dodge caravan
You guys all have great points that I never took into account. I haven’t even seen a s650 in person to even know if I like it. Plus I like to be able to mod my cars. If this new one is locked and hooked up to a network then doing mods is pointless. Basically even if the ecu could be cracked then an over the air network would just overwrite anything you did. If that’s the case then I have no interest in getting one. My belief is if I buy something I should be able to do what I want to it. I don’t need a babysitter watching my car.
Since I’m not able to mod it I could never even get to my current power level. New tech like this blows.

OP
OP
Marketplaza

Marketplaza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT shadow black and 18 dodge caravan
My wife bought up a good point. Through out the years people buy mustang’s because they want a car they can mod and make it theirs. Make it unique to that person. That way pretty much no mustang is alike. People love to do what they want to their car and the mustang is one of the top cars that people like to personalize, be it exterior or interior or engine. That is one of the greatest things people like about a mustang. Why the hell would ford take that away from us?

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
You guys all have great points that I never took into account. I haven’t even seen a s650 in person to even know if I like it. Plus I like to be able to mod my cars. If this new one is locked and hooked up to a network then doing mods is pointless. Basically even if the ecu could be cracked then an over the air network would just overwrite anything you did. If that’s the case then I have no interest in getting one. My belief is if I buy something I should be able to do what I want to it. I don’t need a babysitter watching my car.
Since I’m not able to mod it I could never even get to my current power level. New tech like this blows.
It’s not that you can’t mod it, you just have to use those approved by Ford since they will have access to the ECU. Whipple is one of them:
https://whipplesuperchargers.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=595

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
My wife bought up a good point. Through out the years people buy mustang’s because they want a car they can mod and make it theirs. Make it unique to that person. That way pretty much no mustang is alike. People love to do what they want to their car and the mustang is one of the top cars that people like to personalize, be it exterior or interior or engine. That is one of the greatest things people like about a mustang. Why the hell would ford take that away from us?
EPA cracking down is probably one reason. $$ is probably another. I’m sure the companies that are getting access to the S650 ECU are paying Ford a nice fee.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
OP, It isn't just Ford locking down the ECMs. If you wait long enough and willing to spend the money,, eventually someone will crack it....maybe......if that is really what you want.

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
I would never buy a modified car.

Suggests a car that has been thrashed.

Endless counter modifications potentially required to compensate for variations to original factory specification.

Risk of insurance problems.

Mods possibly illegal in next state.

Fear of breakdown.

Warranty void - In Australia, I got Ford 6 year extended factory warranty.
Point 1.1 “the vehicle shall not be modified…”

I fitted Ford boot mat.

Jasonb543

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
Op literally could’ve had the blower off and been cleaning it up for trade in tomorrow already.

how much as is anyways? 26-28K ish?

twbthird

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Premium PP convertible, Ruby Red
I do not care for the S650, so if something happens to my current car I will be looking for a used Mustang, but not a heavily modified one. I prefer that the changes from the base car be designed by Ford engineers in Dearborn and not a previous owner. I have no way of knowing if the previous owner knew what they were doing when they modified the car.
Sponsored