Sponsored

Question for Non-PP owners

Alloye

Stangoholic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So if I'm reading this right, the 20" factory wheel option includes the PP's K-brace. Correct?
Sponsored

Youngmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt DIB
So if I'm reading this right, the 20" factory wheel option includes the PP's K-brace. Correct?
Apparently yeah. I have the 20 in wheels and I have the brace. I wonder why ford would choose to do this only with the 20in optional wheels.

Alloye

Stangoholic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have the 20 in wheels and I have the brace. I wonder why ford would choose to do this only with the 20in optional wheels.
I also wonder if any other PP parts are quietly included.

MotherGreen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Prem. Auto, 1987 Porsche 911
I have it too. GT Premium auto, with 20" wheels. It's a pretty substantial metal brace, any thoughts on it's function. Is it more of a K-Brace, or does it serve as a Strut Tower Brace? I was considering putting on an aftermarket strut tower brace, but I'm not sure if it would be redundant?

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I HAVE THE ANSWER! The Parts Manager at my dealership did some research for me.

20" Non-PP cars get the full brace! That is the key!!

So, non-PP cars with other size rims should have the half-brace.

Non-PP cars with 20" rims should have the same full brace that comes on the PP cars.

Why? Who the heck knows!?!?! :)
This is probably to stiffen the front for managing suspension motion because of the weight of the 20 inch wheels.

Sponsored

OP
OP
89Trooper

89Trooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Awesome info! Looks like I got what people get when they ASSume. lol

Good stuff. I would love to know the engineering philosophies behind said brace.

I ASSume there will be many, many more threads about stuff like this in the future. People will be digging into these things and likely discovering all kinds of cool features from one trim to the next.

OP
OP
89Trooper

89Trooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Awesome info! Looks like I got what people get when they ASSume. lol

Good stuff. I would love to know the engineering philosophies behind said brace.

I ASSume there will be many, many more threads about stuff like this in the future. People will be digging into these things and likely discovering all kinds of cool features from one trim to the next.
We found out that the chin spoiler on the GT w/PP is slightly different than the Ecoboost and the GT w/o PP. We never saw it in online pictures, but when we had 10 cars all lined up together, we could tell:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13457

Sponsored

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Good find!

I could go on forever with the differences. So many little things. Like, the front sway bars are the same on the PP and the base GT.....except the PP uses a MUCH bigger bushing/saddle set-up that is bonded to the bar - as where the base uses a smaller bushing that is free floating (non-bonded)

Jason Richardson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
And this is why I am going with a GT Base this go around and wouldn't consider the 20s no matter how good they look (and they do look good). Those are substantially heavier wheels that require a brace. Just doesnt work for me in an already heavier car. Heck Im not even overly fond of the extra weight of the PP 19s yet. Ill start with the 18s and decide up from there.
Sponsored