Sponsored

Question For Daily Drivers With No PPF (Both With / Without Front Splash Guards).

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
For those of you that daily your stang with no PPF, how susceptible is the bottom of the door to rock chips ?

I am referring to this area :

1633949888939.jpeg

I have seen this picture before :

1633949865127.jpeg

Which (I think) was posted by @Michael_vroomvroom but I don't think that was 'normal' circumstances (If I recall correctly it was after a trip into the kitty litter on a tack day) :frown:

I have just done the upper and lower rear fenders which would have caught the bulk of the damage shown above, but I have some PPF for the door bottoms and I am trying to decide if it's a worthwhile addition for a daily or if it's total overkill ... ?

@Sivi70980 - I am hoping for some good info from you as I know you daily drive your car through all weathers with no PPF and you have mentioned numerous times that it appears to be a rock chip magnet ...

Thanks in advance for any responses :like:

WD :like:
Sponsored

frank_white

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Convertible, Velocity Blue
I have rokblokz also and in 1500 miles haven't noticed any chips there knock on wood. I only have the hood and bumper ppf and it saved me from a big one on the bumper already.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
For those of you that daily your stang with no PPF, how susceptible is the bottom of the door to rock chips ?

1633949888939.jpeg

1633949865127.jpeg

Which (I think) was posted by @Michael_vroomvroom but I don't think that was 'normal' circumstances (If I recall correctly it was after a trip into the kitty litter on a tack day) :frown:

I have just done the upper and lower rear fenders which would have caught the bulk of the damage shown above, but I have some PPF for the door bottoms and I am trying to decide if it's a worthwhile addition for a daily or if it's total overkill ... ?

@Sivi70980 - I am hoping for some good info from you as I know you daily drive your car through all weathers with no PPF and you have mentioned numerous times that it appears to be a rock chip magnet ...

Currently no chips in that area at all. 19.5k on the car. Factory PP1 wheels and tires from late spring to early fall. Winter wheels and tires are only 245/40/20 squared so may be keeping some debris from the sides of the car. This week I am going to get new winter tires though and will see about something a little wider as long as the wheels support it. Think the wheels are 9ish thick? I got my winter setup from a friend for $500 with new tires so don't know everything about them. 2 of the wheels have some road rash but again, $500 soooo. Pic of winter setup. Just threw them on this weekend while I did my oil change.

gfdeswahgt.jpg

OP
OP
WD Pro

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I thought about it and had nothing to lose.

Mess the installation up and rip it off again ? Doesn’t matter.

Maybe it never does anything ? Doesn’t matter.

The only other thing I could have done is left it stuck on the backing paper rolled up on the garage … :giggle:

2929328-C-A2-AC-4-BDC-84-B0-7-A96803-E2-C9-F.jpg

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
5 years of 2 Mustangs.
DD and no film. Never had an issue in that area.
But I remember back to my 86 944 and it had a very visible protection in that area.

yimg.com%2fimages%2fi%2f260863857557-0-1%2fs-l1000.jpg

OP
OP
WD Pro

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Porsche was my first memory of PPF, I think they were the earliest adopter ?

Dad had a 924 turbo (can’t remember PPF), bro had a 944 and now has a 88 3.2 911 - the later two both have PPF.

The old stuff went ‘really’ yellow on a white car … !

Moaslon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dmitrii
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Grabber Lime, 2016 BMW 116d M Sport

1633949888939.jpeg

1633949865127.jpeg

Had mine since November. U.K, daily driver. Drive both in city an motorways. So far done around 17K miles and haven't seen anything like that on mine.
Only have a few tiny tickles on the front.

At this stage not planning to get the PPF done to the car. If I keep the car for long enough, then I am just planning to get it wrapped completely into a new colour. New look & will look the car look new again

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I run wide offsets, often 11” front wheels, no PPF no splash guard for +70k miles and the bottom of the doors arent a problem at all and dont seem to pick up chips or anything. Front side of the rear fenders OTOH get a lot of very small marks. Not chips exactly but definitey weathered.

Moaslon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dmitrii
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Grabber Lime, 2016 BMW 116d M Sport

1633949888939.jpeg

1633949865127.jpeg

Washed my car today and specifically looked into those areas. They look as new, not a single scratch :like:

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
i dont think i have any chips in the rocker area after 5 years of DD duty. i do however have some rock chips up around the 5.0 emblem and higher up on the doors. i tried some type of front splash guards and they def seemed to help but fit wasnt quite there so i eventually took them off and havent replaced them yet.
Sponsored