Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
I was thinking about getting an intercooler from CVF, I just don't know which one to get (street/race). I heard that bigger intercoolers like *race* can cause boost to drop. Has anyone heard or had any experience with this? My car is mostly going to be spirited mountain driving and maybe a some autocross. Is a race overkill for these activities?
If it makes a difference, in testing we saw no boost pressure differences in between the Race and Street. The Race was even featured on EMS's record-breaking Eco (800whp+).

That said, the difference between the Street and Race is how much you want to get out of the car. The charts on the product pages show it, and the Street is WAY more efficient than the OEM unit. The Race unit, though, is a different level of cooling. If you're in hotter weather (especially summer, on the highway, running for a longer period) - the Race will have a better effect than the Street. Another thing to keep in mind is that if you see yourself wanting more out of the car in the future it's better to buy once, cry once than to upgrade in the future (and have to get rid of the old one).

The only technical points to keep in mind is that (as mentioned above) the Race requires removal of the AGS and the inlet/outlet are .5" larger, so getting the OEM piping on can be a bear - we recommend charge pipes with the Race. The Street slips on without issues.

Give me a shout via PM if you have any other questions - it's what I'm here for!
Sponsored

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I was thinking about getting an intercooler from CVF, I just don't know which one to get (street/race). I heard that bigger intercoolers like *race* can cause boost to drop. Has anyone heard or had any experience with this? My car is mostly going to be spirited mountain driving and maybe a some autocross. Is a race overkill for these activities?
My Vortech full race intercooler which has one of the largest capacities on the market caused NO boost loss under any boost conditions, so no a race intercooler will not affect boost unless you buy one of poor design/build quality. CVF makes an excellent product an unfortunately for me thier race intercooler came on the market after I spent $1200 on my Vortech (with charge pipes).