Sponsored

Question about these circular yellow stains in paint?

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
Hi guys,

21 Rapid red metallic GT here. Just added the new GT500 spoiler w Gurney flap over weekend. While removing the old 3M tape from blade wing that came w car I ended up using this rubber eraser on my drill. Well, I got the 3m tape off, but now it seems I have the deep yellow swirl marks in paint that meguiars wax could not remove.
These round yellow marks are under the GT500 wing and cam be seen. I'm trying to figure out how to get them outta paint.
Can anyone help me? Any ideas on what to do or use?? I hope I didn't burn the clearcoat.. ughhh!!!

Thanks, Anthony

Screenshot_20221102-110345_eBay.jpg
Sponsored

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Hi guys,

21 Rapid red metallic GT here. Just added the new GT500 spoiler w Gurney flap over weekend. While removing the old 3M tape from blade wing that came w car I ended up using this rubber eraser on my drill. Well, I got the 3m tape off, but now it seems I have the deep yellow swirl marks in paint that meguiars wax could not remove.
These round yellow marks are under the GT500 wing and cam be seen. I'm trying to figure out how to get them outta paint.
Can anyone help me? Any ideas on what to do or use?? I hope I didn't burn the clearcoat.. ughhh!!!

Thanks, Anthony

The factory adhesive is incredibly strong and the yellow stain you are seeing is most likely the pigment from the adhesive. Since it didn’t come out with wax and are still bothering you, I would definitely go a little further with either a polish or a compound, then rewax that area to protect it. If meguiars is your brand of choice they do have good products for polish/compound. Give it a shot.

OP
OP
monte87

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
The factory adhesive is incredibly strong and the yellow stain you are seeing is most likely the pigment from the adhesive. Since it didn’t come out with wax and are still bothering you, I would definitely go a little further with either a polish or a compound, then rewax that area to protect it. If meguiars is your brand of choice they do have good products for polish/compound. Give it a shot.
Thanks for reply, Crew. I think the pigment is the yellow eraser. I got all the 3M tape off, nice and clean. But the yellow is still there. Aggravating me, i can see it!!!

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Thanks for reply, Crew. I think the pigment is the yellow eraser. I got all the 3M tape off, nice and clean. But the yellow is still there. Aggravating me, i can see it!!!
Take it to a pro to buff it out with a more abrasive compound.

OP
OP
monte87

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Take it to a pro to buff it out with a more abrasive compound.
I'm gonna try meguiars compound, then there polish and see. if that doesnt take it out- then a PRO! Thanks for your reply!
Anthony

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Hi guys,

Thanks, Anthony

You have either burnt through the clearcoat or you still have some adhesive residue or "shading" left behind. If you can, post a couple of pics so we can properly see what's happening.

If you haven't already, try using an adhesive remover like Carpro TarX or Koch Chemie Ulex.

You mentioned wax, that won't remove paint defects, or in this case residue, you will actually protect it with wax. The Meguiar's compound should deal with it though. The compound will remove any remaining residue and level the finish down to match the surrounding areas. It will also be likely that the rubber eraser wheel (I hate those things) has created some marring anyway, so using compound is probably going to be needed anyway.

OP
OP
monte87

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for reply!!! Appreciate it. I def will get some pics posted today.
Anthony

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Those eraser wheels are worse on the paint than washing the car every day for 5 years.

OP
OP
monte87

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Those eraser wheels are worse on the paint than washing the car every day for 5 years.
If i only knew before i used it!!! I would used my fingers and wd40..

Sponsored

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Try some adhesive remover like "goo be gone" and see if that helps. If not you may have to use a rubbing or polish compound as mentioned earlier.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Any pics to provide of the concerned area?