Calif-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Twister Orange (1 of 480)
Vehicle Showcase
The arguments here are inconsistent. If the rain doesn't make a difference, then why have a tray at all?
I think only the Engineers at Ford can answer as to why is was included. I imagine a group of designers sitting around a table . . .
"what should be do about the vents leave them open of cover them?"
"We better cover them and put in way too many screws to hold it in place"
"What about using thumb screws"
"Nah we don't have the budget for that"
"Won't that cause the hood to vibrate at speed"
"Maybe, but we don't want water spots on the SC"
"Good point, plus it will generate 3 pages on the forums"
"Yep and we can then sell more Cobra and Shelby decals"

I kid of course but who knows how these items make their way into production. I want to go ask the Transmission Teams, "Why the hell a lady knob and NOT an actual shifter for the auto trans" "Dudes really you couldn't put in a vertical automatic shifter, you had to give us a Minivan turn knob".

To which they would answer, "but you can get a carbon fiber trim for it" lol
Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
i admit, I didn't read ALL the posts in this thread but at least ninety percent and I can't say as I've seen a practical or logical reason for taking the tray out. Brian, I'm gonna go with what the Ford engineers have apparently said on the subject and that there is no practical thermodynamic benefit by removing the tray.

Remember the Ford thermo guy who said that at WOT, this engine can generate 275 KILOWATTS of heat. I believe they designed the thermo AND aero into the tray + vent combo to handle that type of heat transfer. Might it be a little more efficient with it out? Sure, but is it necessary? I vote no.

Other than this argument however, I would be interested in any other logical reason for leaving it out. Sure, if you race frequently, (or you have a car like Jaime with other open vents,) why bother with the pain of installing/removing? I get that for sure. But for street driving, I've yet to hear a reason I can support.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
My two cents are the engine gets hotter than a mofo and leaving the tray out lets the heat escape. I don't use the rain tray except when I am washing the car. I don't drive in the rain and I think the benefit of ventilation is a positive one.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
i admit, I didn't read ALL the posts in this thread but at least ninety percent and I can't say as I've seen a practical or logical reason for taking the tray out. Brian, I'm gonna go with what the Ford engineers have apparently said on the subject and that there is no practical thermodynamic benefit by removing the tray.

Remember the Ford thermo guy who said that at WOT, this engine can generate 275 KILOWATTS of heat. I believe they designed the thermo AND aero into the tray + vent combo to handle that type of heat transfer. Might it be a little more efficient with it out? Sure, but is it necessary? I vote no.

Other than this argument however, I would be interested in any other logical reason for leaving it out. Sure, if you race frequently, (or you have a car like Jaime with other open vents,) why bother with the pain of installing/removing? I get that for sure. But for street driving, I've yet to hear a reason I can support.
I donā€™t have a reason other than ā€œthatā€™s what I want to doā€. It lets heat escape no matter what the engineers say, I can see the heat rising out of the vents every single day I drive it as well it eliminates the hood flutter myself and others have seen at speed.
The OP was looking for opinions, I gave him one. Itā€™s not up to anyone else to say itā€™s not valid because I never claimed any facts other than the two above which I can verify with observation.

I would contend that no has has proven that I ā€œshouldā€ keep it in as Iā€™ve also witnessed first hand how it works with heavy rain and car washesā€¦neither of which have given me any concern other than a possible increase in detailing work under the hood. BTW heat is not measured in watts, itā€™s measured in Joules (for electrical shedding) or BTUs (also calories).

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I'll go with the guys who've actually installed the trackspec or equivalent center louver and documented on track reduction in temps. There's no doubt the vent helps, both with temps and with lift at higher speeds.

The issue is whether or not consistent exposure to the elements is long term healthy for the engine bay and components.

Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
There is zero doubt that more heat escapes with the rain tray removed. There is zero doubt the hood lifts a lot less with the rain tray removed.

In my personal experience being caught in a heavy rain, and then leaving the car in said heavy rain, after stopping for several hours, only left me with minimal water on my air box cover & degas bottle. Same results washing the car.

Good enough for me.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
There is zero doubt that more heat escapes with the rain tray removed. There is zero doubt the hood lifts a lot less with the rain tray removed.

In my personal experience being caught in a heavy rain, and then leaving the car in said heavy rain, after stopping for several hours, only left me with minimal water on my air box cover & degas bottle. Same results washing the car.

Good enough for me.
My results exactly. If I ever found standing water in an electrical connector or on any other sensitive surface I might change my tune, but so far neither has happened.

Last edited:

Calif-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think that motor generates enough heat to vaporize any little water that might enter through the vents with no rain tray. IMHO

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone with their tray out use a self serve spray car wash? No problems?
I also did that while in Myrtle Beach forMustang Week. I took it easy on the hood when spraying, and had the same outcome. Very little water, just as l got driving and parking in the rain.

Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I only use a pressure washer when I wash my car. I donā€™t spray directly into the vents but otherwise I donā€™t do anything different.

OP
OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Indeed. Thanks for the replies and opinions. I guess I'll leave it in place until I go to the track. Then I will remove it.

On another note, I want one of those Cobra logo's ! That does look on the tray.

Calif-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
On another note, I want one of those Cobra logo's ! That does look on the tray.
We should have a contest of who has the most Cobras or "Shelby"s on their cars! (interior and exterior) lol
  • 4 outside with (not including puddle lights)
  • 5 interior
  • 1 engine bay
That's 10 cobras and 10 is enough for me! šŸ˜œ

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
We should have a contest of who has the most Cobras or "Shelby"s on their cars! (interior and exterior) lol
  • 4 outside with (not including puddle lights)
  • 5 interior
  • 1 engine bay
That's 10 cobras and 10 is enough for me! šŸ˜œ
How about a contest on who has the most cobra/shelbys instead?
Sponsored